• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m62 army video

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That bit about picking the front of the GMC and rolling it back with the boom IS how you bend a boom. The 62 which weighs at least twice what the deuce weighs could have backed up to the nose down truck, hooked a wrecker chain between the rear of the truck and the 62, low second would have pulled it right out, a LOT faster, no chance of bending the boom. You could also pull the next truck out the same way, there was no need for screw with the rear winch and the 3/4 cable. troops see this video, think that is how to recover a nose down truck, they hook on to a 5t or a loaded deuce, they will most likely turn the wrecker OVER since NO outriggers were deployed, yes you can pick a lot of weight over the side with a m62 without outriggers BUT that is close in NOT at any distance, then back to trying to bend the boom, if the nose of a heavy truck is lifted with the boom flat and stretched out and using the swing to roll the truck back, you ARE inviting a bent boom.

JDToumanian

That bit about picking the front of the GMC and rolling it back with the boom IS how you bend a boom.
I was shocked when I saw that. I also was very surprised to see them make that recovery with no outriggers... If they're not needed for that move, why are they even there? The frame couldn't have appreciated that twisting sensation. The HEMTT manual says NOTHING is to be done until the outriggers are deployed.

Jon

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Don't shoot the messenger, just a neat blast from the past as I was looking at M816 videos and it happen to pop up.
No shots fired, just wanted members to be AWARE of the bent boom issue after watching the video, for those who did not know better, I did NOT want them to think that was the WAY to do this kind of recovery. This also goes for the outrigger or lack of issue, someone seeing the video and not knowing will think that operation is ok..

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for that interesting historic video! Several times they said to lock the brakes, then with the clutch down, shift the transfer to neutral, transmission into appropriate gear, then the operator lets the clutch up. Then they show him engaging the power divider lever. You will not get the power divider into gear without the clutch being down, which they did not mention!
One thing we learned the hard way for our M543A2, almost too hard, is that on our truck anyway we need top go past neutral a bit with the transfer shift lever until we feel a snap to fully disengage the transfer case to neutral. This is true whether it is high or low range so it is not a linkage adjustment problem, maybe a bit of wear in the linkage, which is well lubricated. We have learned to look down through the slot in the floorboard at the transmission to transfer drive shaft to see, with the clutch out and the transmission and transfer in neutral, that the shaft free- wheels. We learned this early on by having it out of gear but not completely in neutral for the synchros. The result was we could not get the transfer to shift after using the boom; the one side of the synchro had locked up, probably from the heat of being partially engaged. My son finally got desperate, knowing if it did not come loose we would have to pull the transfer out anyway, so with the transmission in gear snapped the clutch and luckily with a bang the synchro came loose. It has worked fine many years ever since, so I give us the lucky stiffs award!!
E02NMCB, you are getting a lot of comments but none are meant to diminish the value of your post. It is a very interesting video. It would be nice as another said to have many of these on a DVD for historic reasons.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks