• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M674 Lowboy?

abh3

I've logged in and searched, searched online, etc and can't find much about any M674 low bed or lowboy trailer.

Seller claims 9'8" wide, 28' loadable and 49 tons (a LOT for a two axle in my experience), I'm needing another lowboy to move my JD CLC200 excavator (50k lbs), dozer, etc. since I dumped my 'DOT magnet' beater lowboy at an auction. Good riddance but now I'm needing to move equipment again, LOL!

Any knowledge of these trailers out there? Thanks!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking up on them internets, I found that the M674 is the following:

M674 Semitrailer, low-bed, 15-ton, 4-wheel, Nike missile system

Being that this was specific for the Nike missile system, there are going to be very few of them out there.

Have you looked up info on the M172 lowboy trailer? This would be the most common lowboy that would be available to you that is military surplus.

Chief_919

I've logged in and searched, searched online, etc and can't find much about any M674 low bed or lowboy trailer.

Seller claims 9'8" wide, 28' loadable and 49 tons (a LOT for a two axle in my experience), I'm needing another lowboy to move my JD CLC200 excavator (50k lbs), dozer, etc. since I dumped my 'DOT magnet' beater lowboy at an auction. Good riddance but now I'm needing to move equipment again, LOL!

Any knowledge of these trailers out there? Thanks!
I saw that one too- interesting unit. With the NIKE missle connection quite a rare piece I am sure.

abh3

I'm not sure we're talking the same trailer, this is a pretty conventional looking lowboy with hydraulic ramps, etc., a county road dept. surplus item. It also looks to have a capacity well in excess of 15 tons. The Wikipedia article on the Nike system lists 32 different support trailers but not an M674, I think this was built as a lowboy and not a Nike support trailer unless they considered the lowboy that brought heavy equipment in for site-prep on the battery location to be 'support'!

I'm familiar with the M172 and an M172A1 would work though I'd have to add ramps; I'm blanket permitted for oversize anyway w/ the wide excavator. But the ones I've seen for sale are all too far away, it doesn't make sense to get $1500 in transport added to a $4-5000 trailer since I have restricted tags and would have to pay someone to transport from NC or IL...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I just spent 15 minuts looking for m674 lowber trailer, only found ONE====NIKE, so it looks like your lowbed is NOT a m674

abh3

I'm beginning to think the same thing, the seller has confused the number designation somehow... They say "Fruehauf (M674)" Here's a pic:

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely NOT a M172 lowboy, nor a M269/270 lowboy either. I think that is a rare bird, it could be what he says it is, I can't find anything in DDoyle's book that says otherwise...

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I found that at a truck,trailer sale site, the m674 was part of the s/n of a trailer

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ask the site rep to take a picture of the military data plate for you. If they can't find one, my guess is its a civilian trailer that the seller thinks is military for some reason.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
can anybody read the printing across the pic. it will tell us where to look for the description, the ramp do not look mil.,
sure wish I had the money, that would be perfect for the 819

sorta looks like a old lacross

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I went and looked at other pics, don't think it is mil. does not have the mil. power plug among other things, unless a civi trailer used by the mil.

Last edited:

abh3

I'm pretty sure it's a military lowboy as the kingpin area has been 'built up' to make up the height difference for use with civilian tractors. That's the problem with the M172A1, they seem to ride low in the front as they were designed for the military tractors that are taller at the fifth wheel than the average road tractor...

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the description states " has carried 49t" this does not mean the trailer has a 49t load rateing, just means a good chance it was over loaded, still after looking at the pic. it is not mil., owned by the county
as a side note, did you look at the one in gainesville,ga

Last edited:

abh3

Scared of the one in G'ville, too far from the shop to deal with the bad axle before going to get it so if the yard is unreasonable about removal deadlines that's when things get expensive calling in the local heroes to fix it NOW. If it were in Alabammy I'd chain that axle up and roll. Plus there is the distance issue, there's something about sneaking around central Alabama or south Mississippi a little outside my tag range that isn't nearly as scary as being way the **** over on the far side of Atlanta, LOL!!

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
as far as the axle goes, just chain it up, but ya on the rest, you should of had me go look at it, I live in gvile

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks