• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M756A2 Recovery Maine to Vermont

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, no. Looks like all the hopes we had about you getting a M756 are going up in smoke. You got what USED to be a M756. Now it's been bubbafied by a fire dept. into a water hauler, and all the pipeline deuce stuff is gone. It will be a PITA to find it all and make it right.

Good luck....

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Wow that blows on the missing components... Congrats on getting that truck though. It looks like the only thing M756A2-specific on that thing is the "weights and measures" dash plaque which is worth it. It looks to be a good foundation to build upon. I was tempted by the listing but the combination of being unsucessful at contacting the agency for photos and lack funds for a last minute purchase/road trip kept me away. It's so easy to picture something ideal in your mind when a listing has no photos, I never imagined the truck being in that state as the listing did not describe the water tank etc.

If you ever decide to pursue re-equipping it as a proper M756A2, feel free to ask questions. Best wishes on the recovery.

Katahdin

My guess is you're taking route 2 across, which is a bit too far north of me to be much help.

I asked my wife if I could participate in that auction and she responded with hand gestures which I interpreted to mean she'd cut my throat and then shoot me in the chest...Good thing I asked her in a public restaurant! :roll: Oh well, I have other priorities anyway.

Better luck next time Chevytruck!

No. 2
I guess this would have been a good purchase for you seeing how you have a bed and winch. I bought it unseen and was okay with the tank on the back as it will help at our rally in July keeping things watered :cookoo: soak the bloak or water down all that whiskey I will drink there.

RangerBob

I may be in Berlin, NH with my deuce when you pass by.

All those M37s for sale almost made me drop everything and run home, but lots of work beat out little time and dwindling bank account. Now I can only hope most of them didn't go to the scrappers.

Last edited:

power wagon

I may be in Berlin, NH with my deuce when you pass by.

All those M37s for sale almost made me drop everything and run home, but lots of work beat out little time and dwindling bank account. Now I can only hope most of them didn't go to the scrappers.

good news i heard that they all went to good homes

No.2Diesel

Bridge Truck

Hi,

Yes I agree that it is still a great purchase and the tank can be re-purposed. It still has its transfer case PTO! You have a clean slate to work with and many options. Make the tank skid-mounted so you can remove when not needed.

Here's An idea to keep in mind. Since an actual "pipeline" bed is so hard to find you can make your own. A derelict 5ton Bridge Truck is a great source for a tailboard roller. All you'd have to do is take a little out in the middle of the roller to fit your desired width and modify the support roller brackets. The last time I was at TNJ Murray he had a parts M821 and the roller seemed to be the same diameter ( 8" ) as the M756A2.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No.2Diesel is right! The benefit about military trucks, especially the older ones, is that the parts are simple, and can be fabbed up from stock or from other similar parts. Worse comes to worse, you can make a whole new pipeline bed. It will be a LOT of work, but where else you gonna find one?

vtdeucedriver

I think he is on the right track. Modifed 5 ton winch I like and if it were me. I would find a drop side bed and leave off the sides and build a custom headache rack............then pay the big $$$$$$ for the military spot lights.

So tomorrow we set out on the road to recovery or Old Town Maine to pick up our 1969 M756A2 / Tanker. We loaded up the "Recovery Van" with bunch of good stuff like tires, brake parts and 35 gallons of extra fuel. Fingers crossed . :driver:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks