• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M800 series lube?

Ajax MD

@timgc78 ensure that you use a GL-1 lubricant that is safe for "yellow metal." Our older transmissions use these in the synchronizers. Modern GL-4 lubricants can damage these. So, you want an 80/90 that is GL-1 (mineral oil based)

I *think* the GL-4 lubricants are safe in the transfer case and axles because there are no yellow metal parts in them, but it's really safer and easier to stick with a single type of lubricant.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I finally drain my tranny I'll probably use what Spicer recommends for it. The military wanted a common oil between gear cases & axles but heavy weight GO (gear oil) may not perform as well in the tranny compared to say a 50 wt drivetrain oil.

fasttruck

The best kept and most closely guarded secret in the United States Army is its publication system. If you obtain TM 9-2320-260-LO and read it will list as the authorized lubricant for transfer cases, differentials and transmissions for the 809 series trucks as GO 80/90 down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit at which point GO 75 is approved for temps down to -65 Fahrenheit. GO products apparently do not become "EP" oils as described elsewhere on this thread and are compatible with brass parts. As the 939 series trucks do not have manual transmissions, the Army has dodged the bullet on transmission synchronizers.

fasttruck

Comparison with TM for M915 reveals the following for differentials:
+ 32 degrees: GO 85/140

+ 40 degrees to -10 degrees: GO 80/90

- 40 degrees: GO 75.

Don't have a LO for a M939 so not sure what authorized lubricant for transfer case on this truck is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks