• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 Loadout

Matt1970M35A

I just won a M813 from GL. It was listed as not running. Ive been going over the TMs to find a possible answer.
I have not seen the truck yet other then GL pics. I'm betting just a dead battery. This will be my first 5 ton recovery.
Any ideas for a good and safe recovery? Ill have a ton of tools a 24volt genset to jump from and a M35 to pull or flat tow with if I get my tow bar in time. If I need to replace the battery's could i just use 2 12 volts for the trip home?
:-D

Cycletek

Be very careful pulling that M813, it has a 21k curb weight and make sure you connect the air brakes to your truck. Be aware you may need a CDL to be pulling that weight on the Interstate or even on the roads, check the local rules. Also if it has any tires that have been sitting flat, those tires side walls are highly suspect, replace them. Keep your speeds way down, you do not know how well the brakes work on the M813 and now your M35 brakes are heavily loaded. I know lots of guys will say they pull a bunch of weight with no trouble, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. Everything is fine until it isn't, then your life and anyone around you is in danger........Good Luck and let us know how you do and remember Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!

:tank:

m816

Two 12 batteries may not turn it over long enough to get it started. The truck uses four for reason. Also a deuce is not big enough to haul a 813. You may have plenty power to pull it but even with the airlines hooked up, it can still push you around. The TM even tell you to use the same size vehicle or larger vehicle to tow with. It isn't a good move. Get it hauled by a knowledgable hauler. I do a lot of stupid things around here but I try to use good common sense when on the road ways with the public saftey in my mind.

Scarecrow1

If the batteries are dead then the GL guy will most likely jump you off with their slave cables. If it doesn't start then don't bother killing your other batteries Just play it safe and pay someone if you can to haul it home. I'm sure by the condition it is in you should be able to tell how long it has been sitting there, are at least what kind of shape it is for the road trip. It's best if someone who knows 5 tons is with you at the time. Good luck and be safe ...............

Matt1970M35A

I do have a 150 amp 24 volt genset thats going along for the ride.
It and 2 new batterys should be fine. If I do tow it im hooking up the air lines and keeping it undre 40.
Ive pulled very hevey loads behind and in the back of my M35 I know I will take a lot more road to get it stopped. And I have all new breaks. I just hauled 6 tons of wood pellets. So im in the know on getting it stopped.
Also big thinks to Gimpy Rob. Ill be breakink in his new tow bar feet.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
between two batteries in the truck, and slave the deuce to it, that gives 4 batteries total. And if you run them down, the deuce or your gen can charge them back up.

I wouldn't tow it but maybe a mile or two at slow speeds IF the brakes on the 5 ton work hooked up to the deuce. Might be enough to get it off the lot, then figure out why it won't run or get it towed.

Matt1970M35A

I'm thank full for the concern of towing a 813 with just a deuce but its my only truck and I dont want to pay a tow bill for 100 mile trip.
I used to work for a small FBO and we only had a small tug to move large aircraft. Talk about being pushed around. The trick is go nice and slow and to fallow the towed vehicle. Yes fallow from the front.
I rather not have to tow it. Its just plan S for this sucks but works.
If the emergency fuel handle is pulled out how do I reset it? Is it as simple as just pushing it back in?

Matt1970M35A

Hndrsonj are you saying I can get it towed for cheep? say $200 for 100 miles. Just dont have a lot of cash for a large tow bill. I would think it would run at least a grand.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry I misread your post 100 miles not 100$. I would think you could do it for $250-$300 if you call around. I have had 3 hauled and never paid over $1.25 a mile.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt, Are you picking it up at Indy? If so, when? DO NOT SLAVE the dead 813 off your Deuce. If those batteries are bad you will end up like mine when I jumped the dead 818, fried alternator with magic smoke.

If Andrew wants to slave it off one of the other trucks on site that's okay (let one of them burn up). You are better off just putting two batteries in for 24v and THEN slaving the Deuce.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry I misread your post 100 miles not 100$. I would think you could do it for $250-$300 if you call around. I have had 3 hauled and never paid over $1.25 a mile.
Not sure of Matt's area but here it was around $185-215 for 12 miles and 16 miles respectively. 818 and two trailers towed home.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On short hauls they seem to charge more per mile, otherwise it isn't worth their time.

Matt1970M35A

I planed on changing out the batterys and jumping off the genset. No magic smoke leakage.
Ill call around and see what it will cost for a tow.
Im hopeing its just something simple or that GL just did not even try to start it.
It takes all the fun out of it if you cant drive it home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks