• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m816 Declutching

EO2NMCB

My rotochamber #9 was MIA when I bought truck, now have a replacement in hand. My question is the yoke off the clutch is 180 out, I pulled cotter pin and washer thought maybe it could go on correct or 180 out. I saw a nut and bolt on the shaft that the yoke rides on, can it be moved for correct placement? Was running out of time with the onset of darkness.

thanks
charlie

wcuhillbilly

not entirely sure what your refering to as 180 out. mine points up from the throwout rod actuator,-rod running through bellhousing-- My arm has a small bolt and nut that allows the can to actuate the throwout only so far, a bump stop if you will. I believe the can actuator arm can be "rotated" some on the throwout rod, but its pretty well set in place. I will have to look at mine this evening when I get home. If the yoke on the end of the chamber rod is what your refering to, then yes, back off the tension nut and adjust it a turn or two to fit your install, then tighten the lock nut back.
The Rotochamber can be replaced with a standard Type 9 small airbrake can from NAPA, $30 instead of $150 from the mil suppliers,,,,, just make sure you get one with only one bolt clamp, the version with a two bolt clamp will not fit in the bracket off the top of the trans. I have pondered moving the can to the driver side and having it mount almost in the same place, but actuate off the clutch pedal instead of that tight little area behind the passenger step battery box..

Last edited:

EO2NMCB

It is a TO rotochamber off a m816. The bump stop is on the bottom of the shaft that I need to rotate 180 to be at 12 O'Clock instead of 6 O'clock it it sits now. I did not know if the shaft is splinded or can I just rotate after backing off the nut and bolt that are on the shaft that the bump stop is on?

wcuhillbilly

ok, I will have to look at mine, but I think its just a tension bolt, thus if you loosen it and pry the tension crack out it should allow you to rotate it on the shaft, barring 30 years of dirt and crud, to the desired position. I will look at mine when I get home in a few hours to confirm.. wish posting pics on here was easier. is easy compaired to Cumminsforum but its still complicated and my crappy internet on my phone likes to cycle for hours at a time.

BTW the Napa group/mod number for the Type 9 can is SC09 brake chamber, found on some kenworths/freightliners, and trailer applications.

Last edited:

wcuhillbilly

Looked at mine last nite, and yes my actuator arm off the bellhousing points straight up. looks like its movable on the bell shaft by way of a tension bolt running forward to aft of the arm, with a big washer and cotter pin on the bell shaft to hold it on the shaft in the event of actuation start walking it off the shaft.
good luck with it. Someone likely parted your can out, and loosened it for ease or ignorance of how to remove it back at DRMO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks