• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 hot rodding ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

insanejecke

OK hopefully soon ill will own a m816. So my question is what are some things i can do to give it more power. What i want is first off what can i do to the motor to make it more like a multi fuel. like were i can run a little more wmo mix with my diesel. i have been told that a 25% wmo and 75% diesel will run fine in a m816. first off is that true and is there anything ( not to expensive ) i could do to make it like 35 or even 50-50?:confused:

What can i do to improve the Horsepower and manly torque?:confused:

And what can i do so i can go like 55mph in it (safely)8)

And biggest thing What could i do for better fuel mileage?? like a ram air or cool air intakes and other stuff that can add up to good fuel mileages.:driver:\

and can i run normal big rig rims instead of the military 1s with out changing the hub?

Thanks insane:tank:

PS. if u have nothing helpful to say keep it to your self.:evil:

Last edited:

insanejecke

You can't have more power AND better fuel efficiency..
I beg to differ my ram with 318 i have now around 450 hp lot more then stock and get around 23-25 mpg and 17-20 mpg in city i modded everything but the fuel intake. improving on the amount of fuel already added so more power and better gas mileage thank you. i know gas motors not diesel that much so back to moding an m816

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Improve HP- Not much without spending a bunch of money. Adding a turbo is about the cheapest route.

Go 55mph- Find a hill and drive down it. All joking aside, A M816 will go 55mph but it struggles to do it on level ground because of the weight to power ratio. See "improve HP".

Better MPG- Don't know much about that. I'd say your not going to see drastic improvements whatever you do.

Yes, most civilian 22.5" and 24.4" wheels will bolt right up to the M816.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With these vehicles it's difficult to get either more power or better fuel efficiency from their stock build without detracting from their service life. They were designed for a specific purpose which they do quite well in their element. Small things such as changing tire sizes, etc, etc can aid to certain areas but wont give both power and fuel efficiency. We are working with old(er) technology and pushing them past what they are men't to do isn't safe. That being said..

If you want to "hotrod" an M816 you have two options. Sell the 816 and buy something civi or swap out the engine..and possibly everything else. Remember, this truck was designed for purpose X and is really rated at 55mph top speed and "50 mph road speed at a fuel consumption rate of 5-6 mpg". Yes you can install a pryo to up the fuel intake and get more power (acceleration/torque) but you lose efficiency and it is still rated at 55mph/max and 50 mph crusing. The same is vicer versa. This doesn't take into count of you hauling a load or any outside factors. What you really can't do is make it go faster AND farther without some serious effort.

If I saw an M816 with a load doing 55mph I'd stay away from it.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
36,000lbs. Fuel economy isn't going to happen. Spend big money and drop a 400hp cummins in, then you will have some power, and burn a little more fuel. Just figure it's going to cost money to drive it.

Or buy a M108 with a multifuel in it. Not as heavy duty, still slow, but burns waste motor oil just fine.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Bob" it.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you can get the 250 to turn more rpms, the only way to go faster is bigger tires, or transmission/transfer case change. A stock M816 can do 50mph on the flat all day long. Is it worth it to spend the money to run 55? Other then changing the tire from bias to radial, I would just leave it stock.

THe Cummins is designed to burn DIESEL. At best, to combat the affects of ULSD, I would add 2 cycle oil at the ratio of 60:1. I have experimented, and this is the ratio where my NHC250 runs the best.

goldneagle

:doghead: doghead you're so funny! I can see your frustration. I hope he doesn't kill anyone with that truck! I noticed he never mentioned anything about stopping that beast (36,000 lbs going 55 mph plus!)

Last edited:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my 816 with 1400s gets the same mileage as with the 1100s. around 3.5 mpg.. i can run past 55 but with that much weight i dont like to.. that is not a truck set up for speed, mileage or comfort.. swapping in the engine is one of the only things that would help it out... but nothing can be done about the mileage.. unless you drop some weight.

KsM715

OK hopefully soon ill will own a m816. So my question is what are some things i can do to give it more power. What i want is first off what can i do to the motor to make it more like a multi fuel. like were i can run a little more wmo mix with my diesel. i have been told that a 25% wmo and 75% diesel will run fine in a m816. first off is that true and is there anything ( not to expensive ) i could do to make it like 35 or even 50-50?:confused:

What can i do to improve the Horsepower and manly torque?:confused:

And what can i do so i can go like 55mph in it (safely)8)

And biggest thing What could i do for better fuel mileage?? like a ram air or cool air intakes and other stuff that can add up to good fuel mileages.:driver:\

and can i run normal big rig rims instead of the military 1s with out changing the hub?

Thanks insane:tank:

PS. if u have nothing helpful to say keep it to your self.:evil:
First off, nothing you are asking can be done cheap. If it could you wouldnt have to be asking how to do it, you would just have to read the hundreds of threads about how everyone else has already done it.

Secondly, I hate seeing the statement PS. if u have nothing helpful to say keep it to your self.
Everytime you read something like that it means the OP just wants to hear what he wants to hear. Not that it cant be done. If you ask a question in an open public forum you had better be readyto handle both the pros and cons ofyour idea.

GHall

I've seen on here where most 5 Tons have a sweet spot between cruising speed and fuel milage. Not wide open throttle. I would suggest finding a safe speed where you get the best mileage, stick with it and enjoy. When you start heavily modifying motors there is some chance of running the risk of making the vehicle unreliable.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I may be speaking for many, but if you want to "Hot Rod" an M816 - your words, please do not come visit my state, of if you do, let me know when and I'll keep off the road.

I know that is not what you meant - but it's what we 'read'.

Yes, I too want to improve my 816, even fuel efficiency - but nothing I am planning could be described as 'hot rodding' even though that is the only option on this forum for non standard 5 tons....

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I may be speaking for many, but if you want to "Hot Rod" an M816 - your words, please do not come visit my state, of if you do, let me know when and I'll keep off the road.

I know that is not what you meant - but it's what we 'read'.

Yes, I too want to improve my 816, even fuel efficiency - but nothing I am planning could be described as 'hot rodding' even though that is the only option on this forum for non standard 5 tons....

Staying off the road may help if the hot rodding 816 comes to your town but it had better quite a ways off the road.......

To the OP. I have the perfect solution for you if you want to run a wrecker nice and fast, you can probably do it safely.

Paint this one green or enjoy the slow ride in an MV.

Miller.jpg

insanejecke

Ok lets try this. Dual turbos? Can i do that also can i fine whistling 1s that will work on it?
Could i make and cool-air system work on it as well?
Would and electric fan system work?
Is there any Exhaust upgrades i can do?
Is there any Engine Performance Parts that i could put on it?

i plane on putting alcoa wheels on it , with G278 MSD Super Single Tire because i can get them at a huge discount from my work at wholesale price. <--- manly i can get them cheaper then the Michelin's SS's

And i dont plane on going MAX speed all the time just be nice if i haft to go say to the beach, or run it as a recovery rig when me and my pops for trail riding. i know they go slow and i like it but there will be times i would like to Safely down the hwy.
Im sure someone here could help me out with this just inform me what need to be done other then changeing the motor.

Cycletek

You would have to change a whole bunch more than the motor, your RAM compared to these trucks is like comparing a VW Bug to a School bus. These things are HEAVY and they are gear bound, which means they have been designed to operate at a certain speed max and do it on road and off road. And we all know anything designed for dual purpose, does neither well. As it was mentioned before, if you do make it somewhat faster, now you have to stop it, nobody and I mean nobody makes a disk brake system that will stop it any better than than the antiquated drum brake system they have. The tires for these trucks have usually a limitation around 55-60 MPH and they DO blow out if operated above the rated speed. You have to remember these trucks were designed in the 50's and they were build to Mil Spec by many different manufacturers. But they always remained based on the original blue print unless a deficiency reared its ugly head in the name of safety and longevity. The Diesel motor in these trucks are extremely outdated compared to the new stuff, they will last a long time if you mind the limitations and really understand what you are dealing with. I am putting together a method to increase the mid rpm torque slightly to aid in up hill performance, but that is where it ends. BTW I have an M813 and I drive it almost everyday, these trucks DO NOT feel safe above 60 MPH! And it would be very easy to kill yourself and probably any number of people trying to exceed the design limitations of these trucks......I have learned all this owning and operating one of these trucks and from the vast knowledge of this board, you would do good to read and read more.......I printed up my entire TM and have read it a bunch of times.......

:tank:[thumbzup]:soapbox:

Last edited:

insanejecke

You would have to change a whole bunch more than the motor, your RAM compared to these trucks is like comparing a VW Bug to a School bus. This things are HEAVY and they are gear bound, which means they have been designed to operate at a certain speed max and do it on road and off road. And we all know anything designed for dual purpose, does neither well. As it was mentioned before, if you do make it somewhat faster, now you have to stop it, nobody and I mean nobody makes a disk brake system that will stop it any better than than the antiquated drum brake system they have. The tires for these trucks have usually a limitation around 55-60 MPH and they DO blow out if operated above the rated speed. You have to remember these trucks were designed in the 50's and they were build to Mil Spec by many different manufacturers. But they always remained based on the original blue print unless a deficiency reared its ugly head in the name of safety and longevity. The Diesel motor in these trucks are extremely outdated compared to the new stuff, they will last a long time if you mind the limitations and really understand what you are dealing with. I am putting together a method to increase the mid rpm torque slightly to aid in up hill performance, but that is where it ends. BTW I have an M813 and I drive it almost everyday, these trucks DO NOT feel safe above 60 MPH! And it would be very easy to kill yourself and probably any number of people trying to exceed the design limitations of these trucks......I have learned all this owning and operating one of these trucks and from the vast knowledge of this board, you would do good to read and read more.......I printed up my entire TM and have read it a bunch of times.......

:tank:[thumbzup]:soapbox:
method to increase the mid rpm torque slightly to aid in up hill performance. do u mine sharing after u finish it?

Cycletek

There is a tire guy in town that has a set with tires on them, all polished up..........he had them on a 5 ton he just sold......guess the buyer wanted the original wheels and tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks