• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 Wrecker Brake issues

CombatJack

All, the wrecker I bought a while back has never had brakes since I bought it (i have only used it once, and used the hand brake to stop it, since i was not really going anywhere, just pulled out of barn and moved a limb). The guy i got it from said it had "bad brakes". I filled the Master Cylinder this past weekend and bled all of the brakes. They worked GREAT. I can stop it easily, and i see no leaks. BUT..... here is where it gets weird...... Once i start the truck and it warms up, I put it in gear to drive, and the brakes are LOCKED up. I can't move it an inch. No matter what gear. I can push the brake pedal to try to release them, and i can set the brake with the push button on the dash, then release it, etc and you can hear the air releasing, etc as i am doing all o this. Eventually, I will push the brake just right, or hit the push button just right, or just cuss loud enough, and it releases somehow, and I am able to drive around like nothing happened. This had NEVER happened before until I filled the master cylinder and bled the brakes, but it makes no sense how that would affect this issue..... anyone have any ideas as to what I did or what might be happening? I am new-ish to 5 tons and havent opened the manual to troubleshoot yet (this only happened this past weekend).

Thanks in advance if anyone has ideas.

-jack

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea if I used the push button brake when I used the crane sometimes I had to hit the brake peddle hard a couple of times to get the push button to release. We push the button only to set not release the brakes if I remember. You did bleed master then air pack then wheels right?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks