• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 info needed

SEAFIRE

Hey guys,
We only run deuces and don't know squat about 5-tons

Our sister Volunteer Fire Department was given a 1977 M818 that was converted to a water tanker, this is their first ex-military fire truck.

We are helping them put this truck in service. One of our diesel mechanics is working on it for them; leaky fuel injector, etc. He knows these engines well, but we had some questions about the truck:

How does the 6x6 engage? is it like the deuce "sprag" model? We don't see a switch, but it looks like there is a air piston attached to the transfer case.

what kind of batteries are these 800 series trucks supposed to have? it came with two U6TL batteries in one half of the battery box, the other side of the box was empty. By looking at the brackets in the battery box it looks like it is supposed to have four U6TL's? Our mechanic thinks it is supposed to have two of those "long" batteries in it.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

Chevytruck

sprag and most likely two batteries

i'm not entirely sure on the batteries though, but ive heard people only using two, you may be right and they use the long type of batteries.

oilcan

They use four 6tl's in series/paralell. Battery explosions are not unheard of when you try to use two... Especially in cold weather.

The t-case is a sprag, but instead of using a linkage to tell it to go in forard or reverse, it uses air.

scootertrs

I too am curious of the engagement method for the front diff. I know about the deuce's switch, but cannot find anything similar to that in the 5 ton 818. I do hear like an air switch going off when I shift into reverse. Is this working on the 6x6? Read the manuals and cannot get to the part where that is clarified. Finally was able to get winch to do its thing, got air leak fixed, figured out (w help) how emergency stop works, now this. Thanks

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
on the trans top , there is two popet air valves the shift the sprag into f/r, if in reverse DO NOT shift into 2nd to go forward, shift into 1st first, the battery box holds four military. batterys, but two 6n batterys fit and work good, i use 6ns in the 819, i can get new blems cheaper the the military batterys and when i need to change out , only have to deal with two, figure if two 6ns are good enough for a cat D9, thay are good enough for my cummins 250

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

fasttruck

Power steering for m 809 series trucks is oe 10. Do not overfill reseivor as it will blow excess out and all over engine. Lubrication order specs all fluids for all temperature ranges for military equipment.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
note oe10 is hyd oil without the additives, id use hyd oil because it has anti form, anti corrosion additives.

TedG

Yes, just because you hear the air solenoid does not mean it is actually working. The piston can seize/stick. If it has been sitting, take that apart, clean and reassemble.

jwaller

could you disconect and cap off the poppet switch on the transmition and install a manual switch like the m35a2 has to operate the t-case?
yes you can. there is a MWO for it.

you dont cap anything btw you simply remove direct full time pressure and run it thru a switch. if you wanted to bypass the stock transmission switch/valve you would need 2 new valves/switch like the deuce has. 1 for forward and 1 for reverse.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks