• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 mud flap bracket help needed

pistonring

I am trying to get the truck pictured in my avatar ready for the road. Part of the state inspection stuff includes clearance lights and tag lights.I hate to cob the truck up with these trashy looking lights but I must attempt to follow the law even if i don't agree with it. :evil: The other thing that I need to add is the missing "goat ear" mud flap brackets. I would prefer to have the correct brackets but if I can't find the right ones I can cut them from steel plate if someone would be kind enough to get me some measurements of the "goat ear" shaped piece that the square mud flap support rod bolts to. The "goat ear" looks to be about 6-8 inches long with 3 holes at the front where it bolts to the frame. See the GL picture of the brackets on a couple of recently sold trucks. They are about 3/8" or 1/2" thick. If I have to make them i might as well do it right, so if anyone would kindly take a tape measure out and get some sizes I can make some chips. Even better yet, anyone have a couple of these brackets on a parts truck? :?: I can always get civvy mud flaps and the square bars that hold them and paint them with 383. Please help me get this M818 on the road.
Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

powerhouseduece

The plates are 3/8". I have a set you can make a template of but already sold them to another member. The suqare stock hangers, the cast mounting brackets, and the mudflaps can be picked up at Fleet Pride in Curtis Bay.

Its good to see another M818 in MD.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hammer

Holy Cow! That is a lot of cash for some brackets!
Maybe I will keep those things I have on the back of my 818! They are bent (don't want to know what they hit or backed into to bend them), and I was just going to pull them off and make my own. Maybe now I will keep them!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Following this with interest. This is what I have so far for my 5-tonner, I plan on making the remaining parts detachable, since they'll be in the way off-road.
The B&W image is from ca 1968.

What is required in the way of clearance lights? The back-up light and license plate illumination were easy enough to add....

Attachments

Last edited:

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Pistonring,I have mud flaps with the brackets for the 818.If you are interested call me at 410-808-5227,I am not to far from you.JOHN.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those civilian mud flap hangers come in an offset version too. You really only want them on the truck, when bobtailing anyway.

Lee in Alaska

pistonring

Thanks for all of the helpful posts guys. :smile: Anybody have a picture of the flaps strapped to the toolbox? :?: I can't visualize how they would fit without hanging out somewhere. :?: What kind of straps are used? Nice OD stuff or do you use civvy bungee cords? I hope to get this M818 on the road before cold weather. With your help and encouragement it just might happen. Aberdeen 2010 here we come.:-D
Thanks again,
Dave

Attachments

KsM715

If I can piggy back on this thread, does anyone have a close up pic of the way the bracket is bolted to the truck? My M818 does not have brackets on it and just like pics 2 and 3 above my truck has only one hole in the frame rail at the back. Does the lower rivet need to be removed?

groundog

the straps for the mud flps are very similar to the gas can straps--my tractor had the strapa but I went to a surplus store and found some straps that worked for 3 dollars each

powerhouseduece

the straps for the mud flps are very similar to the gas can straps--my tractor had the strapa but I went to a surplus store and found some straps that worked for 3 dollars each

My truck had them on the back of the tool box and always wondered what they were for. Too bad I found out now after I mounted a atenna on the tool box. That and I dont think 36" mudflaps would roll up and fit in there anyway.

70deuce

I bought a Betts set model B69 (straight arms, 9" offset) and they came with the mounts you see in the pics. B69 is a set of two A69 arms that are shown in the Betts catalog. They look close to the tires but forward motion and air flow does keep them off the rear set of tires. No rub matks yet. Easy to remove and replace and they definitely need to removed when pulling a trailer. Bought them from Midwest Wheel Company, (512) 265-1491. Website, Midwestwheel.com They were relatively cheap and look pretty good. $35.62 a pair with a $12.68 UPS charge. Also attached is a Betts catalog.

Attachments

70deuce

Forgot to say I got the mudflaps themselves on Ebay for cheap. Also if you are having trouble opening the Betts catalog right click on it and select open in new window. Takes a little time but it will open up.

pistonring

Mudflaps are installed thanks to SS

Many thanks to the members of Steel Soldiers here as I was able to get connections made for a pair of correct military mud flaps complete with the right bracket. I have them installed ready for the first road trip this weekend. For the benefit of the next guy that has the same problem I got the part number of the "goat ear" shaped steel plate bracket that bolts to the frame. It is part number 2300853. Looks to be a piece of 3/8" steel plate with 6 holes in it. Roughly 3" x 8" with rounded corners. Got my historic tags today so the 818 is street legal now. Time to get it out and run it a little. ;-)On November 7th I will have the 818 at the Novemberfest held by Cecil County Farm Museum in Elkton MD at 123 Elk Mills Road along with a few other green trucks. And the next weekend I will be at the maryland Elk Neck campout with the other green trucks. Gotta get the green stuff out of my blood before cold weather.:-D Thanks again to SS for the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks