• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 Power Steering Conversion Complete List

cajuncustom

Ive seen the posts on here about the power steering conversion and things that will and will not might and might not work.

Does anyone happen to have a complete list of part numbers that you could pick up at a auto parts store ? , Pump , Gearbox Hoses , Pitman ? Or a place to buy a complete kit

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Junk yard, for parts off a 75 to 77 4x4, you would just need the gearbox w/pitman arm, pump, hoses & brackets.
Ramcharger, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton 1 ton 4x4 all the same parts.
To use parts from other years will require many more parts.

I know of no real list. Searching this forum will provide all the info (albeit scattered about several threads)

as far as getting stuff at a parts store, they have all the parts listed.
While they do sell rebuilt power steering gear boxes they do not sell the pitman arm for it, you will have to source a used one.

Bdaman

I am interested in this as well. I have recently bought an m880. Somebody before the last owner converted it with the PS pump and gearbox off a dodge van. But the turning radius is half of what it should be. I would like to make it better, so it can function properly.

cajuncustom

I went today with a part number a friend got me for a gearbox he said it was from a 77 dodge warlock 4x4 the part number is 502-0108 , i went to autozone they couldnt pull up the part number , i told him a 77 dodge warlock he found a gearbox but it did not say a 4x4 warlock and i heard that makes all the difference , after going thru every part in his computer on it found the gearbox he found was 2wd i told him it would work so once again im on the hunt , i did get a few things done on my truck today the power steering is the real lol Turning point.

Attachments

Bdaman

Let me know how that all works out for you. I need to fix mine before I can drive it much. Leaks PS fluid faster then burns gas. Almost not a joke.

Bdaman

Thank you. By looking at that I need the pitman arm from original dont I? Or is that an easy to find item?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. By looking at that I need the pitman arm from original dont I? Or is that an easy to find item?

While they do sell rebuilt power steering gear boxes they do not sell the pitman arm for it, you will have to source a used one.
Find a used one

Bdaman

i went with the Lares 997 from rock auto also , i seem to be having a hard time finding a pitman arm 31 tooth with a drop heck even without a drop
Consensus is that that is a junk yard only find. I am going to scour local junk yards for one. If I find two I'll pick one up for you.

cajuncustom

Searched all over **** today for a pitman and a ps hose with no luck , after 2 hrs going thrubooks found the power steering hose , I'm going to call sky jacker tomorrow about their D20 4inch drop pitman and see if it's the correct fit , ours is 32 spline 13/16

cajuncustom

so i do have some part numbers so far , i have a PS Pump from a 80's model Chevy 350 motor home it needed a new PS line the part number was **** to find but i did track it down it is

71029 - PS Pressure Hose had to use a tube bender to make this fit the gearbox side right
Lares 997 - Gearbox
Skyjacker Pitman Arm With 4 " Drop DA40 - Test Fit this today , it will work but will have to be cut and rewelded because it is backwards "see pictures"
Friend suggested we heat and bend it instead of cutting it i guess we will see this weekend. Ended up picking up a couple more pitmans from the junkyard to try , they fit but for me they would not work as im running 44's they are wide and hit the pitman so ended up heating and bending the DA40 to fit.
File Nov 11, 10 49 48 AM.jpgFile Nov 11, 10 50 28 AM.jpgFile Nov 14, 7 02 58 PM.jpg
Lares 201 - Steering Coupling - Gearbox came with one
Lares 179 - Steering Gear Nut & Washer
From Partsmix On Ebay fit perfect on a old chevy pump

This pitman is off a 2002 Ram Wagon van and will fit the Lares 997 Gearbox .
File Nov 14, 7 03 34 PM.jpgFile Nov 14, 7 05 26 PM.jpg
A Pitman from a 90 to 2000 Jeep Cherokee is the same as the DA40 above just no 4 inch drop , hope this info helps someone

Last edited:

cajuncustom

I still havent pulled the trigger on a Pitman arm i dont want to shell out the money and get the wrong one , i see alot listed as 32 spline but dont know if i could order a 32 spline and it be wrong , went out to my truck today some jack leg moved it some how broke my throttle cable bracket , the price that the bracket costs i can replace everything with Lokar so ill be ordering that also .... money money money , did finish the wiper transmission and put the cowl back on and robbed a power steering pump off a motor home motor we had laying around so i did get some work done , ordered the brackets on ebay perfect fit for the pump now just waiting on line so i can mount it

fotorydertx

Cajuncustom,

Did you finalize this steering? what pitman arm did you use. I'm considering purchasde of an M886, and this may be one of the things I want to do.

Thanks

cajuncustom

Cajuncustom,

Did you finalize this steering? what pitman arm did you use. I'm considering purchasde of an M886, and this may be one of the things I want to do.

Thanks
Yes i did , i ended up going with the pitman from SkyJacker but i had to heat and bend it in the total opposite direction , i tried a pitman from a Cherokee it was bent the same way also tried a straight one from a Ram Van my 44's would hit it

snowtrac nome

as all I have are gen 1 dodges the power steering box comes from a 4x4 dodge truck from 75 to 94 dodge truck 1/2 ton to 1 ton they are all the same you will also have to source out the mounting plate that mounts the box to the frame. these are getting scarce since the mounting ears are prone to cracking.

nattieleather

Lares 179 - Steering Gear Nut & Washer
That part number worked great for me. I needed the nut and washer for my power steering setup (which are taken from late 70 dodge) and I went to Rockauto and searched that part and ordered the nut and washer and it works perfect on my setup. Thanks for posting that!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks