• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 series parts.

Radiogeek99

Just Another Guy
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a sudden interest in the M880 series of trucks. The one I am looking at may need a fender and a door. What is the corresponding civilian truck model number?

fslay0435

M880 series parts

Hey,

The civilian version of the truck is a W-200.

Just a heads up...parts for Chrysler vehicles can be a little trickier to track down than Ford and GM stuff. Its out there, but you gotta dig a little harder. That's been the case with my M880.

I've been able to find almost everything at the local parts house (ignition lock cylinder, solenoids, etc.), but have had harder times finding others.

Good luck.

fslay0435

M880 series parts

I was also going to mention that the folks on this site are great about helping you in any way that they can. A lot of good info here, including technical manuals that are available for the M880 series truck.

There are a few websites out there related specifically to Dodge trucks. I have found them helpful as well for locating parts.

MatthewH

The correct civilian model number is a W200, but the D series and W series use the same sheetmetal, as do the different models. Your looking from '73 to '80 dodge D/W 100-300.

Beware aftermarket panels. Ones I've used in the past weren't the greatest, thinner metal, and the contours/body lines didn't always look the best. Used from 2 different companies, Keystone and Shermans

Radiogeek99

Just Another Guy
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. Hey MatthewH, How do you like the M887? thats the truck I am looking into getting. Have always wanted a m1031 but they are just too expensive.

MatthewH

Thanks for the info. Hey MatthewH, How do you like the M887? thats the truck I am looking into getting. Have always wanted a m1031 but they are just too expensive.
Radiogeek99,

I love it. I bought it for my small welding buisness, and it's handy as ****. It has it's downsides, but I'm currently working on them so it's more reliable and useful.

I like the 1031's and there 12kw generator, but unless I got it really cheap, I wouldn't own one. Now if I could get just the 1031 box and 205 pto, I have plans for that setup.

Radiogeek99

Just Another Guy
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are the downsides? Some of the research i have done talks about front axle issues. I know the 318 was a good motor. Doesn't it have the same body as the 1031?

MatthewH

Here is what i have found to be the downsides of the M887, my 2cents, others may feel differently or completly disagree

(1) Mine runs the scales near 8000 lbs, without the loads of tools i put in it, That being said, with the 37" HMMWV tires, it was alot of truck to get moving and get stopped. With stock tires, it goes alright, but any deicent hill, or a M101 behind it and you're not leaving the slow lane. Flat ground, had mine doing 75+ on the freeway, while towing an M101 and HMMWV tires, but as soon as I hit a hill, 55 and I had to downshift to keep speed.

(2) The front axle is alright for what the truck is. The biggest issue people grumble about is the hub design. I feel it was dumb to go that route, but it is still a D44 front, and as long as you do regular maint to them, they are a good axle. I feel you have to grease them more, but its handy because there's a zerk fitting, and you don't have to take everything apart to do so.

(3) Gas mileage sucks. Best day I got 12 mpg (yes miles per gallon), typically its 8-10 because of the hills around here. With the HMMWV tires, I got as good as 8, as low as 4.

(4) The SECM boxes are different, as the M887 runs a 4kw Hobart welder powered by a gas Wisconsen engine. The M1031 runs a 12kw pto driven generator. Other than some box differences up front, my understanding is they are the same. My biggest issue with the generator is there isn't any 220v power, just 110v. So alot of my tools I have to carry a spare genny. And it's gas powered, so there is one more thing to keep maint, especially with this new gas.

Are there things I would change? Yes, and I do them as I see fit. What works and dosen't work for me is different that somebody elses. My dream M887 is a diesel powered rig with the pto 12kw genny or 10kw diesel welder. Currently working on the diesel drivetrain of the build, hope to be done by this spring for our schedule of shows.

Good luck

Matthewh

Last edited:

Radiogeek99

Just Another Guy
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your opinion. I am surprised at how heavy it is, that would definatly change my plan to retrieve it if it works out. I think my trailer is only good for 7000. I have seem a thread where someone was going to convert to diesel with a newer cummins. Thanks again!

MatthewH

Thanks for your opinion. I am surprised at how heavy it is, that would definatly change my plan to retrieve it if it works out. I think my trailer is only good for 7000. I have seem a thread where someone was going to convert to diesel with a newer cummins. Thanks again!
That was probibly mine. I started a thread last year about swapping a 1st gen cummins into my M887. Project stalled for awhile, but back onto it this winter. I'll revive that old thread as stuff happens.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck with your endeavor. As a former M887 owner I can attest to their weight. The SECM body itself probably weighs less than the genset/welder. I ended up splitting mine and put the body on a trailer frame. Worked out nice but in the end, I got rid of the way heavy Hobart.

MatthewH

Good luck with your endeavor. As a former M887 owner I can attest to their weight. The SECM body itself probably weighs less than the genset/welder. I ended up splitting mine and put the body on a trailer frame. Worked out nice but in the end, I got rid of the way heavy Hobart.
I was suprised how peppy the truck was after I removed the box one summer, even with the 37"HMMWV tires.

We figure the box loaded with just the welder, air comp and the stock torch set (AC5 acyt, T tank O2) was pushing 2500#. Load that baby up with tools and stuff, I bet its 3000#+

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mine

HI I have 2,so far an M880 and M890 FYI the interchange for most parts is 72-80 all pick up's 1/2 ton to 1 ton and cab only 2 1/2 ton and up. They are not easy to find in auto wreckers now,not a lot of after market patr's eather but they do show up out here more than most of the usa.

steve

L1A1

As a former M880 owner (well, Ok it was a W200 GSA truck), just a friendly heads up. Saturn Surplus up in Pa has some of the mechanical/electrical parts for those trucks. They seemed to have the parts for those '70s Dodges when the local sources didn't.
Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks