• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M886 wheel question

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure. I'm under the belief that Ford 8 lug fit... I think about half of my 16"s are "fords" even though they look pretty much the same.

big block 88

Gm is hub centric and dodge is not. That said ive plenty of 880's with the old humvee beadlocks. Not sure if they ran adapters or not. I can tell that up until 2011 gm and dodge shared 3/4-1 ton lug patern but differ in hub centric designs.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been running Feed rims on my M1010 for years. They are subtly different and a half inch wider. The GM wheels will fit the M101A2 and M101A3 trailer axles.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Gm is hub centric and dodge is not. That said ive plenty of 880's with the old humvee beadlocks. Not sure if they ran adapters or not. I can tell that up until 2011 gm and dodge shared 3/4-1 ton lug patern but differ in hub centric designs.
Yep adapters needed.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Typical GM steel wheel has a 4-3/4" center hole where the rear D60 on the Dodge requires a 4-7/8" hole.
That's not correct; go out and do some measuring... You will find that Dodge #60 rear hubs (at least two different designs) are at a little under Ø4-3/4", thus the wheel center holes have to have Ø4-3/4", or a tad over that.
GM 8-lug wheel center (pilot)holes normally are Ø 4-5/8 or even a bit under.

Ford hubs are Ø4-7/8", yes. (Just learned that a few days ago, when a customer tried to fit a 24-bolt HMMWV wheel on his F-250 rear axle. They finally went on - after enlarging the center hole about 2mm).

Edit to add: It isn't the diameter of the actual hub, but that of the axle shaft - flange, that counts! And that dimension is exactly 4.75", which means that the center hole on the M880 wheels has to be larger than that - say 4.80" at least.

(See post #13 of this thread...)

G.

Last edited:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have set up the rims in a lathe and enlarged the OD of the center hole. You need a lathe with enough 'swing' to do it though. A rough cut method carefully done will work since the Dodge wheels are centered by the bolts so an irregular center hole will not matter.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's not correct; go out and do some measuring... You will find that Dodge #60 rear hubs (at least two different designs) are at a little under Ø4-3/4", thus the wheel center holes have to have Ø4-3/4", or a tad over that.
GM 8-lug wheel center (pilot)holes normally are Ø 4-5/8 or even a bit under.

Ford hubs are Ø4-7/8", yes. (Just learned that a few days ago, when a customer tried to fit a 24-bolt HMMWV wheel on his F-250 rear axle. They finally went on - after enlarging the center hole about 2mm)
Well the Chevy CUCV wheels I have that the ID measures 4.75 do not fit on the rear of my M880's, Where as my spare M880 wheel center is just over 4-13/16, and the Ford rims I took from an F250 don't have much clearance on the M884 I have them on. I suppose I could grab a bore gauge & some mics & pull wheels off & take pictures recording the measurements down to +/- .0005 for ya, but bottom line is the typical Chevy wheel is too small for the rear of an M880 and the Ford ones fit.

KamikazeKunze

Wow, good info from all of you. We ultimately decided to not go with those rims as my uncle has a spare set of 2003 factory Dodge 8 lug aluminum 17’s. I’m worried the offset is too deep and the tires will rub the box when mounted to the rear. I’ll report back and let you all know.
thanks again

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... bottom line is the typical Chevy wheel is too small for the rear of an M880 and the Ford ones fit.
I fully agree on that!
....the Chevy CUCV wheels I have that the ID measures 4.75 do not fit on the rear of my M880's
Well, my two sets of M1008 wheels all measure 4-5/8". Maybe there are some out there which are different and the factory just used what they could get their hands on - coming from the lowest bidder, ya know...:)
I suppose I could grab a bore gauge & some mics & pull wheels off & take pictures recording the measurements down to +/- .0005 for ya...
Thanks, but in this case +/- .001" would be precise enough, I guess. Besides that I know how to use a caliper, and mine isn't off that much...:p

On a more serious note, I have just measured (again) a couple of NOS M880 rear hubs: they all are at 4-11/16", confirmed. But then it occurred to me that the axle shaft-flanges could be a tad larger than the hubs. And that is the case, in fact. After scraping off the paint and measuring half a dozen of axle shafts I can say that they are exactly 4.75" (+/- .003). And that of course explains why a wheel with a 4.75" hole wouldn't fit - not in the real, practical world at least.
That means that Dodge 8-lug wheels indeed are (need to be...) over 4.75". Probably they are all around 4-13/16" as you found.
(Now I need to correct my previous statement in post #9...)

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks