• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915 battery relocation kit toolbox mod.

hairba11

Started this on friday and finished it up today.
I've been looking for a way to get more storage in the 915. Especially considering i've been thinking of putting a second springer in for the passenger. I've been walking around a m93x series battery relocation kit for the last couple of weeks and decided to find a way to mount it and use it as a toolbox. (pic1)

now doing some measuring, i figured the best way to put it on the 915 would be back up against the cab like the toolbox on the 818.

having put a deuce bed on an 818 already, i had the walkboards/pogostick/tire/toolbox rack left over form the back of that truck. (pic2)

i figured i had plenty of room to move the spare tire to the left and have room for the relocation kit, even with the steps on it. (pic3)

I started out pulling the spare off and unbolting the tire carrier.
I used two of the brackets that held the walkboard to the 818 back rack, one of the walk board brackets did have to be notched to clear the davit crane diagonal brace. i then bolted them to the existing tire carrier brackets and centered up the stripped 818 back rack on the chassis. i did have to make a couple of cuts to one corner to clear the exhaust stack.(pic4)

before bolting the rack down completely i relocated the trailer electrical hookups from the stock location (pic5) to the trailing edge of the back rack (pic6)

the air hoses did not need to be re-routed as they had plenty of room with the walkboard bracket height. (pic7) there is also 1/4" between the back rack and the rear cab mount.

once the rack was bolted in i tossed the 915's tire carrier back on and got it bolted down. I took some measurements and figured to get the door on the relocation kit to open i' have to put some 8" tall brackets between the box and back rack to clear the davit crane diagonal brace. I found a 2' piece of 9" tall C channel which worked perfectly. I drilled holes to bolt the box to the channel, and welded the channel to the back rack.

while i was working with the box, it has a 9"x15" opening in the back for the battery cables to come out of (pic8 ). I used a 10"x16" piece of 16ga to make a patch (pic9)

once stuff was painted up i got the box bolted to the rack and the tire back in the carrier. (pic10)

Attachments

Last edited:

hairba11

once all the tools were picked up i took a couple of more pics. The boss even came by to give her fuzzy approval.

the tire rack dose stick out from the cab a little. but it does not extend past the fenders. the 818's back rack is 93" wide so the wingnut on the outside of the tire carrier only extends a couple of more inches.

i did end up having to drill another hole in the davit crane diagonal brace's bracket and move it rearward to clear the bottom step on the box. i'll have to get a picture up to clarify.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bighurt

I thought you were actually relocating the batteries...

Looks good.

I'm planning a thin headache rack to hold chains and binders, but I don't know where the Spare will go. I've also considered relocating the batteries for a second tank but I haven't figured those out either.

I'm also planning an intake and exhaust mod.

Last mod in my mind is a push bumper to match the headache rack, protect the front end from deer and give it a little more mad max look to the truck.

hairba11

i had thought about relocating the batteries and making the battery box/ under cab step a tool box, but i'm starting here. if i end up not liking the tool box up high i can always move stuff around.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is awesome! There is NEVER enough room in a tractor.

I spent a few hours the other day walking around one, trying to figure out where to put the batteries, as I want to add another fuel tank.

Now I'm going to have to start looking for one of those boxes.

hairba11

the top- step is bolted on, the bottom step is welded. the tread plate on top of the box is bolted on. it makes for easy roof access. and a place to bungee stuff down. seeing as how i was mounting the box as far to the right as possible to clear the davit crane diagonal with the door i left them on.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes, after asking that question, I went back and looked at all the pics again, and it does make for a convienant way to get to the roof. As I plan to put an XM7000 lightbar I have up there, getting up there to service it and change bulbs would be nice.

Just got to wait on the funds and I'll get the box. Just got the truck need to put that fuel tank on before I take any long trips. My truck came with the interstate studded heavy duty truck batteries, instead of hawkers or 6TLs.

hairba11

i get an easy 300 miles comfortably out of a tank, it doesn't hurt my feelings at all to stop and stretch a little every couple of hours. i made a trip from st.louis to jefferson city to pick up a trailer. it is about 140 miles from door to GL lot. from there it is about another 40 back up to kingdom city on I-70 where i put in $75, then i brought the trailer home and took the tractor back out and put another $75 in. i was still sitting over half a tank each fill up, and glad to be out of the truck.
Maybe you're used to more highway miles in the thing but unless you were regularly headed into the middle of nowhere, or into another state with higher fuel tax i wouldn't bother.
or maybe it just looks cool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks