• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915a4?

kstate90

What can you guys tell me about the M915A4 trucks? I may have found one to use for a tanker for our fire district. I am not thinking big water. More like 2000-2500 gallons. We just need a simple tanker nothing fancy. Does anyone have overall dimensions? Length from the back of the cab to the back of the frame. Don't want to stretch it if we don't have too. The axles look heavy enough I am more concerned about getting it loaded correctly. If we stay closer to 2000 gallons it won't be a big issue. With tank, pump and water it will be around 20000 pounds with a gross weight in the low 40,000 range. Has anyone converted any of the 915 variants to a fire tanker?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The M916 or M920 (prob have to remove the tag axle) would be a better bet......they have all wheel drive, a heavier frame......you might still have to stretch the frame.

If you don't need off road capability you could pull a tanker trailer behind the M915......that is what a lot of them did......hauled fuel or water tanks. There are a lot of tankers hitting the market now.

kstate90

These trucks won't be offroad trucks. Strictly on road. Refill the 5ton's and pickups. If the length of a 915A4 is the same as my FLD120 Freightliner which it looks like it is close a 2000 gallon should be an easy fit while 2500 may still work. We don't really have the room for the 916 or 920. Need something short. Trying to keep the weight down as well. I want as safe of a tanker as I can get. 3000-4000 gallons does not interest me. 40,000 pounds will be easier to find bridges for than 60,000-80,0000. There are departments around us running 2000 gallon on single axles so I think the 915A4 will handle that. Are there any issues with the A4 versus the A2 and A3? I really wanted an A2 with the 12.7 Detroit and the allison, but the Big Cam cummins works fine.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Are you aware that the last M915A4's on GL went north of 15k out west?

If you can draw them from the gooberment you don't have to worry about it but if it's coming out of the departments hide you may want to look at the M915A1. They ride like an oxcart but they are still selling cheap. No AC either but prob not an issue for your purposes.

kstate90

These come through the Forest Service. Upkeep and repair are our only cost. So basically it is a free truck for initial cost. We just have to paint it, fit it with fire equipment and put it into service.

It is similar to the 4 M809 series trucks that we received under the FEPP program that we use for brush trucks. This truck most likely will be under a different program but they are still free to us.

I need to do some measuring but I am thinking that a cargo bed would fit on the 915 and then we could bolt our tank to that. The cargo bed would be a quick conversion. Otherwise we would have to have someone build us a bed which costs money.

We have limited funds to work with. So I am trying to do this as safe as possible as cheap as possible. I would prefer that this truck be well under its GVW. Overloading a truck is a sure path to disaster.

NEIOWA

There are several threads on M915 series for FD. Use search

Many M915A2 and A4 available. DOD is getting rid of all. Don't even think about the M915A0 or A1 you don't need to get into CAT transmission when later trucks with Alliison are easy to get.

The A2 (NSN 2320-01-272-5029) were new build in 1990-92 400hp Detroit series 60 DDEC-II (electronic) Class I pump governors work with DDEC II if thinking PTO or midship pump. 4sp Allision HT740 I've looked at A2 at several Ft McCoy as few as 6000mi none over 65000mi.

A4 (NSN 2320-01-458-1207) were glider rebuilds in 1999 with 400hp Cummins Big Cam I (mechanical) 5Sp Allision HD4560P

Pick your flavor. Iowa NG had A4 so many of those gone to FD in IA. In Wi it's A2. Personnally I'm looking for the A2 as will be planning a PTO pump module (so need the pump governor). Many of each model have gone to FD in the last 6months. Great option for FD tanker 99% a Freightliner FLD120. Hendrickson rear with locking diff. What you'd order if you had big $ to buy the "right" chassis for a heavy tanker. Short WB so if you don't stretch the frame going to be very tight to add any pump while keeping NFPA1901 compartmentation.

Get them now will be all gone within a short period of time. Don't snap up the first thing though you see you have several DRMO with a few hours of KS. Look them over and pick a good/complete one. I suggest out of the National Guard/Reserves as will be better manitained and lower mile than those from Active duty. Most at Riley likely have been to the sandbox. Given you have options I'd stay with those if possible.

M916A1 is same as M915A2 by 6x6. Good option if 6x6 would be useful.

kstate90

NEIOWA I tried search but did not find any pictures. I was just trying to visualize how to configure it.

We are looking at putting a transfer pump as it is cheaper than the PTO pump. I know they are short and you can't put mega water on them. If we can get 2000 gallons of water we will be happy. Do you know what the top speed is with the 4560 transmission? Can the speed be governed through the transmission or is the mechanical engine/electronic transmission not allow that?

I was hoping they would find the A2 version as I the 12.7 Detroit is my first choice as that is what I have in my farm truck.

Not worried about NFPA 1901 compartmentation. We just need water. I can find a place to put the loose equipment. It may not be to their specs but it will be functional. We are working with a truck builder to help us with the tank sizing and placement.

Last edited:

kstate90

Thanks. I found the cargo conversion thread. That helps. It looks like the cargo bed will work on it. May have to shorten it just a little but it will fit the bill.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haul a M967 5,000 gallon tanker with my M915a1 all the time, handles it very well. I would LOVE to get a M915A4, so the parts are basically the same, to use all the time too. One day when I'm making enough from my business to warrent it...

Attachments

Last edited:

M813A1

you should be able to put a Duece bed on the back of a M915 it may stik off the bak a bit but it should do the trik you are looking to get done !!

plowboy

NEIA. the A1 is not a Cat transmission, it is a 750 Allison and BCIII Cummins. They would be my first choice because simple works.

kstate90

I went to Manhattan today and picked up the M915A4 from the Forestry. WOW. 3572 miles on a 2008 Freightliner. NTC400 Big cam cummins, Allison 5speed Automatic, air conditioner, Air ride seats, proximity sensor. The truck is brand new. Cost to our fire district $0.00. The only cost we will have in it is the bed, tank and pump, paint and a lightbar and siren. I have begun my fundraising efforts to come up with the money to build this truck. It drives like a dream. I have a 2003 FLD120 (civilian version of the M915A2) mine has air ride but this is one sweet truck. It has the 2 and 4 cylinder/6 cylinder Jake Brake also. I will try and post some pictures as we go along. Thanks for all the help on this truck.

Attachments

NEIOWA

Congrats.

Why put a cargo bed on it then some tank in the bed? If you were ordering a fire equip mfg to build you a tanker you wouldn't start with - buy chassis, install flatbed body, install tank.

Order a baffled tank or a fire body new or used. Just make sure it's a baffled tank. You saved 90k on you chassis.

Or for beer budget/short term get 3ea 600gal pods thru the forester, install directly to the frame (on pad), tie down and plumb them together. Install portable pump ahead of #2 axle.

kstate90

We are definitely on a beer budget. We put a new pickup into service this year that we ordered last fall and we built the 5 ton that I posted the pictures of. On top of that we have had a very busy year this year and our fuel and repair bills have been high so our budget is really tight. This truck is basically just a tank no compartments. We are looking at just putting a rectangular tank on the truck. According to the dealer the tank needs a bed to set on so that is why I was thinking a 5 ton bed would be quick and simnple. May not be pretty but it would work. I have checked into fiberglass tanks but have not got all the info on them yet. We have 3 trucks that have stainless steel tanks that a local welding shop built us. They are baffled. I am working with them on a tank also. It is probably going to get put on hold as it is getting to be time to start planting corn and the cows need to go to grass so we won't have time to work on it.

preyn2

By "bed to sit on", I think they mean that the tank needs to be attached to a separate frame from the truck's frame so that the truck's frame can flex a little without damaging the tank. It definitely doesn't need to be a full "cargo" type bed with tanks mounted in it. I've got a tanker that was converted from an OTR tractor that I'll shoot some pics of and post.

I hope that simplifies your build.

phil

Lesliefirechief

My FD just put in service a 1993 M916 a1 as a tanker.It has a 2335 gallon tank on it I believe they are the same wheelbase.It is a perfect fit.I love it we have one particular hill that is an 11% grade and it has no problems staying right behind the pumper it is responding with.The Jake brake is handy for coming back off of said hill too.

Lesliefirechief

Here are our tank dimensions.First off it is mounted on a flatbed,but the tank is as long as it.The measurements are 6 feet wide 4 feet tall and 12 feet 8 inches long.Off of the back we have a box that drops down that is roughly 2 feet wide and 2 feet tall .It hangs 1 foot below tank level.

kstate90

Do you have any pictures of your M916? Our truck has Jakes also. Once you have driven a truck with Jakes you wonder how you did it without them. Jakes and an automatic are really nice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks