• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916A1 w/w

ReoRider

Product improvement of the Freightliner continues...after looking at the flat nose and flush bumper for a while, the problem of the lack of any safe front on pushing ability of the truck had to be addressed. Then recalling the times self recovery was needed for my 5 ton gas tractor the answer was obvious. Front mounted winch! Would clearly look great...but what about the drive line issues...but wait already on board, to run the rear winch, are two 20 gpm pumps, hydraulic oil tank, and electric engagement for the pto in the Allison. Best solution would be the hydraulic motor driven 20K winch from a 5 ton. The end result had to work easily but also had to look "factory".

IMG_1890.jpgIMG_1979.jpgIMG_1960.jpg

A search for 6X6 Freightliners with front winches turned up nothing. Also, with the LET the main frame is jacked up in the air for drive line clearance but ends just before the front of the engine. Then a 1" thick steel extension drops down toward the front for the necessary mounting of the bumper (1/2" thick and 225 lbs.). So off came the bumper and mountings and then began lots of measuring and discussion.

IMG_1983.jpgIMG_1985.jpgIMG_1992.jpgIMG_1993.jpg

A "frame" extension had to be built to fit the drop down extension, width clearance for the winch adjusted, lower mounting for the winch to clear the flip up hood of the Freightliner, along with a new way to reattach the bumper. The truck frame itself is double (3/8 X 1/4) so that was the choice for the main extension. A set of dimensioned drawings (CAD) got back accurately cut and bent grade 100 steel from PG Adams, the best truck frame benders around. Lots of trial fittings and adjustment finally positioned the winch sitting as close to the truck front as possible, with clearance relieved for the winch fairlead in the now angle bent front bumper.

IMG_2026.jpgIMG_2028.jpg

ReoRider

Freightliner follies continued...

Hydraulic connections were next; with the truck system set around 2300 psi and plenty of volume, no problems were likely in powering the new winch. The existing set up, in the rear winch operating tower, has one pump and control valve running the in and out for the rear winch drum, while the second pump and valve adds a volume boost to run the cable at a faster speed. That was the system to tap into.
IMG_2067.jpgIMG_2100.jpg

The new valve went in series with the "boost" valve, and was a 4 port, open center, motor spool type. It had to be set up to handle "power beyond" as the use of the boost valve, down stream, pressurizes the new front winch valve return lines. It's best to keep the hydraulic lines out of the truck cab, if possible (leaks will happen), so a lever operated cable mechanism was used to operate the new valve. It was sistered up next to the transfer case shift tower in the cab. This allowed the valve to sit inside the operating tower and required only the two lines going to the new winch to leave the tower.
IMG_2051.jpgIMG_2065.jpgIMG_2049.jpgIMG_2079.jpg

Final installation and testing went well- easy control from the cab. Then painting in the vehicle camo pattern left a clean look and certainly changed the profile of the vehicle.
IMG_2090.jpgIMG_2088.jpgIMG_2093.jpg
Ahh..Spring in northern Vermont, any day now.

John

IMG_2074.jpg

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, that is a really nice job - 10/10 for engineering.

NEXT project!...

I want to put remote lines for trailer hydraulics - a 'wet line kit' if you will onto mine, for a detatchable lowboy. Would you think the same 'T'ing' points would be appropriate?
I will have to pull the cover off of the winch control tower to compare plumbing to your pic 1, post #2.

(An other modification I have planned is a belly mounted rear hyd ground spade - for expanded use of rear winch.. Similar to the Bedford light Wrecker)

ground spade.jpg

Last edited:

ReoRider

Great job to make your truck real handy. You just need to remember that you have some more iron out front. I have a M925a2 with winch and I got to watch it in turns and in traffic. Mark
You got that right- not much to see of the ground in front with the hood in the way, and now with the winch even less. After I run it around a while might look into guide sticks on the front bumper if needed.

ReoRider

John, that is a really nice job - 10/10 for engineering.

NEXT project!...

I want to put remote lines for trailer hydraulics - a 'wet line kit' if you will onto mine, for a detatchable lowboy. Would you think the same 'T'ing' points would be appropriate?
I will have to pull the cover off of the winch control tower to compare plumbing to your pic 1, post #2.

(An other modification I have planned is a belly mounted rear hyd ground spade - for expanded use of rear winch.. Similar to the Bedford light Wrecker)

View attachment 488709

A number of the released M916A1 trucks have come with a set of connections for a hydraulic trailer supply added on. Then the latest M916A3 has them as standard. There is a good diagram of this set up in TM 9-2320-302-10 (or was it the -20?). They replaced the boost valve with one having 2 live positions that then could power up the trailer lines. This might have been standard on the M916A0 as well.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A number of the released M916A1 trucks have come with a set of connections for a hydraulic trailer supply added on. Then the latest M916A3 has them as standard. There is a good diagram of this set up in TM 9-2320-302-10 (or was it the -20?). They replaced the boost valve with one having 2 live positions that then could power up the trailer lines. This might have been standard on the M916A0 as well.
I have seen 916A0s with this, but I think more of the A1s, A2s, etc have it.

Artisan

Bravo! I have an M916 and someday I will have a front winch.

I can't do it yet but should you make the frame extension parts
available F/S I would be interested in what you have to say.

Be Proud of Your WORK!

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wet line kit for trailers

I have seen 916A0s with this, but I think more of the A1s, A2s, etc have it.
Comparing schematics, it seems simpler than I had imagined....

A1-2 hydraulics.jpgA3 hydraulics.jpg

Can someone please advise on the type of quick connect fittings that are used.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks