• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M920 hydraulic pump question

PCA16

I have a m920 that i removed the winch from, mounted it on the front, and installed a dump body and hoist on the back. Now, i have run the hydraulic lines from the pump to the winch and hoist. The front line is run to the hoist, which works. The rear supply line is run to the winch, which does not work. Now if i switch the supply lines i can reverse the above and have the winch work and then the hoist does not. Any thoughts?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not very familiar with how a M920 is set up but I'm fairly sure it's a open center hyd system. Do you have separate spool valves for the winch and the hoist? I'm wondering how you have it setup to control each separately.

PCA16

The winch control system that was on the back of the truck had 2 control valves. I used the one with the detent for the dump body, down position raises the box and up position lowers the bed, if you put it in the detent position the bed will go down by its self. I took the other control and mounted it on the front for the winch. I removed the gear reducer and ran the lines directly to the winch. If you push the handle the winch winds in and when you pull the handle the winch goes out ( power in and power out , just one speed ).

PCA16

There are 2 lines going in to the pump and 2 lines out. I would think that this would be a 2 stage pump(both lines out would be under pressure) 1 would be able to run the winch and one would be able to run the dump. Unless ONLY one discharge is a pressure line. Then what would the other be?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Member "eldgenb" has experience with this. See his build thread "Overkill Customs M920". He mentioned two pumps being inside one housing.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took a look at the -10 TM. It is a two section pump. I'm having a little trouble figuring out how the system is setup though.

The way I understand it is the #2 lever is only used to control high and low speed. If that's the case, what it's doing is combining both pump sections to double your speed when in high range.

PCA16

The #2 lever controls the speed and in the up(detent) position supply to the aux hydraulics. However with the pump running i am only getting fluid out of the line towards the front. Should i get fluid from both (front and rear)? Or could the pump be broke and only the front line is working?

eldgenb

The #2 lever controls the speed and in the up(detent) position supply to the aux hydraulics. However with the pump running i am only getting fluid out of the line towards the front. Should i get fluid from both (front and rear)? Or could the pump be broke and only the front line is working?
You should be getting fluid from both lines leaving the pump at all times, if the line closest to the rear of the truck is not working then the intermediate shaft connecting the two halves is most likely broken. You can take the pump apart pretty easy to inspect if you need to and even reduce it to one pump to simplify the installation or to remove the bad half of the pump if necessary. You can feel free to call me anytime tomorrow if that does not answer your question.

eldgenb

to elaborate the pump is a (parallel pump) meaning two identical 20 gpm pumps built into one. A two stage pump has one it and one out and has two different flow rates based on the load. Make sure that there are no blockages in your feed line to the half of the pump first, you can just blow some air up it and listen for bubbles in the reservoir. Next I would disassemble the pump and check to make sure that the intermediate (splined) shaft is present at all or if it is broken, if that is the case then the back half of the pump would be frozen.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I mounted a dump body on my M916 ,But I did away with the winch and tied the 2 back lines together.I just used the 2 front lines for the dump body.

PCA16

Pulled the pump off and the spline shaft was broke. It seems to be a cross series 53 pump. Any info. On parts or a replacement pump would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

eldgenb

Pulled the pump off and the spline shaft was broke. It seems to be a cross series 53 pump. Any info. On parts or a replacement pump would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
You can reassemble the pump as just a single in single out, this would probably be better for you anyways, smaller reservoir, increased service life of the fluid, easier to plumb, the only downside is if you were using both the winch and the other hydraulic unit (i can't remember if you said second winch or tipper) at the exact same time. Otherwise its a bit overkill for your application. I have singled my pump out already and operate a fairly large knuckle boom crane and dual cylinder dump bed without issue, you will just need to add a couple valve or spool block of some sort. I run all of my stuff off of the knuckle boom and routed the dump bed through the accessory spool of the crane. If you have questions on how to do this you can call me, you can also look in the -30 tm for a breakdown of the pump, it is pretty simple. Hope this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks