• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M920 towing questions

We are having our M920 towed off site tomorrow due to only one loadout a month in Topeka. Needless to say it's hard to line up an RGN with timeframes like that.

The towing company is planning on towing the truck back to their lot approx 10-15 miles. I'm new to the M920's. The tow truck will have air for the M920. I have a M920 manual on order but haven't received it yet! What is the correct way to tow one of these trucks for transmission placement and transfer case?

If somebody that owns and is familiar with the M920 model could PM me their phone number I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Andy

Nonotagain

We are having our M920 towed off site tomorrow due to only one loadout a month in Topeka. Needless to say it's hard to line up an RGN with timeframes like that.

The towing company is planning on towing the truck back to their lot approx 10-15 miles. I'm new to the M920's. The tow truck will have air for the M920. I have a M920 manual on order but haven't received it yet! What is the correct way to tow one of these trucks for transmission placement and transfer case?

If somebody that owns and is familiar with the M920 model could PM me their phone number I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Andy
Andy,

I don't own a M920 but have towed quite a few tractors over the years.

I wouldn't worry about transfer case or shifter position, just have the tow company remove the drive shaft. Have them tape the caps in place so that they don't loose the needle bearings and life should be good.

Some folks remove the axles, but I don't like the mess of gear oil getting all over the wheels and tires, plus I hate the smell of gear oil.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy think you will be ok with it in netrual and the drop box will lube it's self by way of the pump. Just got to air up the tanks so you can take off the parking brake. If problems then you will need 4 cage bolts to release parking springs.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was wondering where the TM's for the 920 are. I looked through the SS sight I would like to down load them if possible.

M813A1

Have the wrecker company pickup the truck from the back and tie a rope around the steering wheel !! Disconnect the front drive shaft at the front axle and that is all you should have to do !! No need to cage the brakes or air it up just the front drive shaft and a rope is all !! That is how a comerical tractor is towed and these tractor should not be much different .

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
20 tons and a rope does not sound good to me. But maybe the DOT looks at it differently. I had two of my 920's towed from the front 10 miles with nothing but netrual and caged brakes. But then they were parts trucks.

Nonotagain

20 tons and a rope does not sound good to me. But maybe the DOT looks at it differently. I had two of my 920's towed from the front 10 miles with nothing but netrual and caged brakes. But then they were parts trucks.

Rope or seatbelt tied off steering wheels are the standard way of immobilizing the steering on a vehicle being towed from the rear. The DOT guys don't have an issue with it.

Even though the vehicle is only being towed 10 miles or so, placing 15 tons on the two front wheels would not be my first choice of the end I'd tow from unless there was damage to the rear wheels/axles.

Bighurt

Andy, if you need any help up that way, let me know.

Here is a picture of how I tow them. Pick up front with tru-hitch, hook up airlines, disconnect rear driveshaft, add towing lights and go!
That is one cool setup.

I can give you my address and you drop off an M920.

:drool:

emr

WOW That IS the coolest set up ever, I towbar everything everywhere. and LOVE that set up, thanks, and i am sure U Love it even more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James has all of the nice toys! We got it off the base today. I couldn't get ahold of the GL rep to save my life. Started calling at 7am and left multiple messages. I just rolled the dice and had the wrecker company go on base around 11am. He was going to take the truck with the GL rep or not. He unhooked the driveshaft and hooked it up to his truck only to the have the GL rep show up with a key right when he was ready to leave. The tow truck driver said the truck fired right up without a jump. Good news to me! I'm having it hauled back on an RGN on Tuesday. I'm pumped. Thanks again for the help guys. I'll try to get pictures.

Andy

M920

Thanks,
Andy

Andy,

I have had to tow my M920 a couple of times when the Cat 7155 had "issues"....lol

The easiest way I found is towing it from the rear and tie up the steering wheel, just like some one suggested. You don't have to remove the front drive shaft though, if you tow it like that because the air disconnect is right in the very front of the TC and nothing will turn other than one bearing. The fluid in the front extension housing is common with the rest of the TC and will have extra fluid because of the angle of the truck when towed from the rear. I have towed mine over 200 miles one time wiyhout any trouble and it worked great. You don't have to remove anything this way....very easy and fast!! :lol:

Hope this helps....

Soni

(575) 756-4153

p.s. I know this is an older post but I thought you still might like the info.....

Last edited:

Hammer

Funny, I was going to make a post about this one. I noticed that the manual only says to remove the rear shaft, and not the front.
As for weight on the front axle, it isn't too much different then just sitting on the ground, the rear is supported by the tow truck. And using rope, the seat belt, or a steering wheel strap, is perfectly legal and safe.

Still, good to know if I have to hook a truck up like that, I don't even have to mess with the drive shafts!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks