• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Fuel filter/water separator issues, won't drain, can't prime

LiqTenEXp

Hey,

M923

I was following page 3-27 of the operators guide to draining the water out of the fuel filter and ran into a few issues.

1) There is no top inlet valve, just a 90 degree turn towards the rear of the vehicle

I was thinking of cracking the filter open to let it drain. Before doing that I ran into this problem:

2) The priming pump handle is stuck, it kinda wiggles and almost looks like its a twist to release kinda fitting it slides into but am not certain.

3) The pitcock valve behind the priming handle is stuck. This I can fix

Any suggestions?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Change your filter.

The primer handle should say right on it, twist to lock.

Replace the petcock if needed.

IS it below freezing there? Ice may be holding your primer and petcock.

Last edited:

LiqTenEXp

It is 38 degrees out right now. I got some wd40 on the primer, it does not say twist to lock. I just figured it was due to there being an opening for something to slide through on the nut it goes through. I'm going to let it think about how bad its been for the next couple hours and see if it loosens up.

The petcock at the primer moves now, it was just painted stuck.

I was considering replacing the filter but this thing was just rebuilt and has only a couple hundred miles on it since the rebuild. My plan was going to be to inspect the filter when cracking the filter top to allow it to drain. I am not going to go that far until the **** primer decides it wants to play nice.

Thanks though for conforming its twist to lock in place on the primer.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mileage does not matter nearly as much as time.

Change your filter and clean the can!

You should not need to crack the can to get it to drain. You can loosen the bolt to do this if needed.

LiqTenEXp

Loosening the bolt is what I planned on doing but not until I know I can prime the system.

It is on the plan on things to do but it went from #1 to #2 job thanks to the primer pump being bumped to #1 LOL

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The primer handle unlocks just like when you remove a taillight bulb.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have Napa 3401 listed in my notes.

LiqTenEXp

Ok, napa says it is a 33401 equivalent so I should be ok. Napa store didn't stock it they said on their website.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no such number as 44301.

Napa numbers use the wix number and drop the first digit. They make the filter. The first digit indicates what type of filter. 1=oil/lube 2=Air, 3=Fuel

Napa 3401 or wix 33401. It is not a common filter and will only be stocked at a Distribution Center or high volume store but any store can order it special

ArchieD

Howdy from Texas, my first 84 M923A0 here... Drove great about 200 miles, got in it to run and grab some stuff yesterday. It starts and runs fine, but it doesnt accelerate any more:(. i changed our the start flip switch to a keyed switch just to be safer when leaving it out at night. Dont think this will have anything to do with it,but who knows. All the reading im doing points to the fuel filter. Is there a thread that shows this process out there? also is there anything else I should check? Thanks in advance, from a PROUD owner of this beastly ride :).

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Howdy from Texas, my first 84 M923A0 here... Drove great about 200 miles, got in it to run and grab some stuff yesterday. It starts and runs fine, but it doesnt accelerate any more:(. i changed our the start flip switch to a keyed switch just to be safer when leaving it out at night. Dont think this will have anything to do with it,but who knows. All the reading im doing points to the fuel filter. Is there a thread that shows this process out there? also is there anything else I should check? Thanks in advance, from a PROUD owner of this beastly ride :).
Single bolt on top of the filter housing. It's a 3/4" socket. Filter will drop off. Be sure to refill it when you put it back on

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it won't accelerate, look to see that the shaft and lever on the pump are BOTH moving. The throttle shaft could have seized.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The switch is irrelevant to acceleration. More hard questions... Will the engine not rev above idle while in neutral, or is it just lacking power when your trying to drive?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks