• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Crawler? Costa Rica

Hello everyone!
This is the first time I post on here, so let me introduce myself. Name is Claudio, you may call me Claude. I am writing from Costa Rica, Central America, working for a business called Green-Go Trucks! We import US military trucks, basically just the M35 and the M939 Series, and re-sell them, mainly for agricultural uses. (In CR we don't have a military)

Now, my question. We are thinking of modifying a M923, to make it into a boom sprayer to spray the pineapple fields. For this we would need to install some sort of crawler gear into the truck, since we need it to drive at speeds of (or under) 1/2 mph, it could even be .3mph. Does anybody know of any way to achieve this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Claude

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hola Claudio, como le va? Bienvanidos amigo!

Mi sugerencia es modificar el vehículo con una segunda transfer. Eta modificación voy a proveer ana trecera speed abajo de segundo.

No veo sus sito de red. Yo vender vehiculos ex-militar tambien: www.advmo.com

Rick

Estoy in Nosara, Guanacaste 8814-4153

zout

GreengoTrucks - welcome aboard. I do not have an answer BUT - my wife's sister - brother in law and family are missionaries in Costa Rica. Deb has visited them as I packed her up and sent her one year - she loved it.

Yes, I had thought of modifying the transfer case, but as you said, sounds like a big project, would need to do a lot of calculations to get the speed right?...
The Aux transmission sounds like a definite possibility, was checking up on them and they sound like they might do the job. Thanks for the idea!
Hola Rick! gracias por la idea, definitivamente suena como una posilbilidad. Nuestra pagina web es: www.greengotrucks.com.

Hey "zout", thanks! that is cool! I'm glad your wife liked it! this is an awesome country if you ask me! Esp. if you get out in the "wild", was on an amazing hike up a creek to a waterfall just yesterday (I'm slightly sore), I recommend taking a flashlight along though, we got caught in the dark and had to come down with a cell-phone flashlight. :)
Thanks everyone for the replies, if anybody has another idea I would definitely like to hear it. I will run these options by my boss and see what he thinks!

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yo tambien pienso que la sugunda transfer es lo mas facil. (I am with Rick, a second transfer case is the easiest way)

350TacoZilla

I'm not sure if it would help but they did make 10.26:1 gears for the axles.

Its a pretty decent change in crawl speed but not sure if it would be enough.

stock m923 with 42" tire (11r20's or 425/65/22.5 floats) 1.79 low range,4.17 1st gear,6.44 axle at 500rpm idle= crawl speed of 114 feet per minute or 1.295454 MPH

m923 with all the above but 10.26 axles @500rpm crawl is 72 feet per minute or 0.8181818 mph

I'm not sure if the 6cta 8.3 idles as low as the 855 nhc250 does though so number would change.

The only other thing I could think of that is even close to cost effective would be shorter tires but your going to be hard pressed to find a tire smaller than maybe 40" or so.I guess you could do what alot of toyota crawler guys do and that is add a second transfer case (maybe a 2nd stock 5 ton case)

42" tires with 2nd case would give you a crawl of 40 feet per minute or .45454mph with 10.26 axle and 64 feet per minute or .727272 mph with stock 6.44 axles

Last edited:

chess

I don't know the mph but my trans guy puts the first/reverse gear pack from an 653 Allison which makes the first gear on the 654 4.17 to a 653 8.05 ratio big difference. I use my 5 tons for water trucks I load them with over 16 tons of water plus the weight of tank, pluming, and pump. Also the reverse on a factory 5 ton is way to low. Which is why the plaque says never to reverse in low.

350TacoZilla

if you used the 10.26 gears with the 8.05 1st and 42" tall tires it would give you a crawl of 37 feet per minute or .42 MPH with stock 6.44 gears it would go up to 59 feet per minute and .67 mph

350TacoZilla

Yeah but if he has access to numerous m939 trucks I doubt "buy a different truck" is the technical answer he's looking for. I also have seen the mogs go for $$$$ over the "normal" surplus trucks.

Another Ahab

Yeah but if he has access to numerous m939 trucks I doubt "buy a different truck" is the technical answer he's looking for. I also have seen the mogs go for $$$$ over the "normal" surplus trucks.
Oh I hear you, 350; 10-4.

But that German Engineering (Mercedes) is remarkable stuff. They got it going!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks