• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 Transmission

Crf450x

I just bought an m923a2 a couple weeks ago. Drove it 250 miles home and have put 100 miles on it since. The transmission has shifted flawlessly. Today I took off in it and it wouldn’t go into 5th gear. So I headed back home in 4th and then lost that one too. It downshifted to 3rd by itself and got me home. Still have reverse. Fluid is clean and full. Temp never got above 160ish. Also now it kinda tries to lunge backwards for a split second when I first start it. I can do that repeatedly and it does the same thing every time. Strange.
Any ideas? Do I need a trans? Haven’t pulled the pan off yet as it’s too muddy to get the pos in the barn.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I just bought an m923a2 a couple weeks ago. Drove it 250 miles home and have put 100 miles on it since. The transmission has shifted flawlessly. Today I took off in it and it wouldn’t go into 5th gear. So I headed back home in 4th and then lost that one too. It downshifted to 3rd by itself and got me home. Still have reverse. Fluid is clean and full. Temp never got above 160ish. Also now it kinda tries to lunge backwards for a split second when I first start it. I can do that repeatedly and it does the same thing every time. Strange.
Any ideas? Do I need a trans? Haven’t pulled the pan off yet as it’s too muddy to get the pos in the barn.
You need to do a pressure test on the transmission thru the ports it has on it to see what pressures you have for each gear.

Crf450x

You need to do a pressure test on the transmission thru the ports it has on it to see what pressures you have for each gear.
Thank you. I will try to do that next week. I’ll have to bring a pressure gauge home from work. In the meantime I think I’ll pull that governor filter out and have a look. According to that guy, governor pressure is related to road speed so in my mind it would make sense to lose higher gears first right?

I am a diesel mechanic (mostly light duty) but never done much with automatic transmissions besides replace them.

Crf450x

Pulled the governor filter out. Perfectly clean. Pulled the governor out and didn’t see any obvious problems. But the fluid that came out was drastically different from what’s on the dipstick. Looks and smells expensive. It does have atf in it by the way.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Was going to ask if the transmission would shift thru all gears properly if you put the transfer case in low range. This allows the transmission to pull thru gears with less pressure needed to operate. Sure way to tell of you have a pressure issue.

Where in TN are you?

Crf450x

Was going to ask if the transmission would shift thru all gears properly if you put the transfer case in low range. This allows the transmission to pull thru gears with less pressure needed to operate. Sure way to tell of you have a pressure issue.

Where in TN are you?
I should be able to try low range tomorrow. Would letting it shift through the gears with the transfer case in neutral first be of any help? I’m kinda afraid to get it back on the road.

I’m in fall branch. Almost as far east as you can go in TN.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I should be able to try low range tomorrow. Would letting it shift through the gears with the transfer case in neutral first be of any help? I’m kinda afraid to get it back on the road.

I’m in fall branch. Almost as far east as you can go in TN.
You wont feel anything in neutral. You need some type of resistance. . low range the max speed is 22mph so you will know the shift, it will roll thru pretty quickly

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
More than likely the transmission is toast. They tend to do that unfortunately. Act fine and then just nothing.

Ive got one in Memphis that is a good take out if needed.

Crf450x

More than likely the transmission is toast. They tend to do that unfortunately. Act fine and then just nothing.

Ive got one in Memphis that is a good take out if needed.
That’s what I’m thinking at this point. Any idea on an average cost to rebuild one? I can pull it out myself but I’d have to pay to get it rebuilt.
And thanks for letting me know. Memphis is quite a drive unfortunately.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks