• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m923a2 was Broke down, Montgomery AL

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
My M923a2 is broke down at 2600 North belt drive in Montgomery, at a truck show, air pressure won’t build, shut down my brakes, got them freed up and parked and sprayed oil into the compressor intake and governor intake but can’t get it going

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Call the Love's Truck center in Shorter, AL ask for Jamie . He still works there he is an ex army mechanic for 20yrs. He knows 5 tons.

Start with the basics.
Did you push your air dyer blow off valve back in? You know they stick open.
Shut off the primary tank and see if you can build air on the secondary tank. If no ,then close it and see if you can build primary pressure with the secondary tank closed.
If They wont build pressure:
Pull your charge line off the drivers side of the air dryer. see if you have air coming into it. . If so, put it back on. Pull the other side of the dryer off going to the wet tank, see if you have air pressure. If no you have a stuck air dryer one way valve. you need a half inch bushing to hook the lines together bypassing the dryer.

If not I can be there in 6hrs.

Other thing to check is this. Pull your one way valve that is behind your step off. and see if you have air going to the spring brake tank. It can cause low air pressure as well. If you have air coming out of it. The large round Kn23000 valve. If not. Pull the green line off the backside that comes down the frame rail from the rear to it. See if you have air. You should as it is a direct feed from the primary tank.

I put the word out to swamp, and to Robert who may be at his camp near the AL/GA line off I85.

Last edited:

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Alright so I got as far as verifying that there was air leaving the drier, and it is coming out but I can put my thumb over it and hold back what’s coming out?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about the air going into it?

Have you serviced your air dryer lately(or ever)?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you can hold your finger over the air line then its not enough pressure to charge the system. Try the pre dryer system. At idle cfm is alot of power

Pull the line off the compressor down to the frame rail if it allows you and see how much gunk is in that line there. May have carbon clogging
Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Csm Davis

Okay stop take a breath, now start by checking you gladhands you have been at a show and people are stupid, they will do things to a military truck that would get them arrested if they did them to a regular show car.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Used a buddies truck to pressurize mine, no leaks anywhere, checked unloader, clicks off with 120 supplied into the top

1974 AM General M109A3 w/Deuce Bed, White LDT, Whistler C, and soft top

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
you said your line off the compressor is hot so take Your line off the compressor is probably full of junk. Pull that line off and see what kinda pressure you get off the compressor. then take it loose down on the frame rail and compare them

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Alright guys, I’ve pulled the first outlet off the compressor and it pumps okay (feels like it’s strong) and then reattached, pulled the line off going into the drier and it felt pretty much the same, so I jumped the hose straight into the wet tank and to no avail I cannot get above 30. I’m pulling out my hair, 2.5 hours from home, came to have a good time and spent 4 hours working on my truck. I need another man on the ground

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You should have 150+ psi of force off the compressor and at the base of that line.

Well if you jumped it over then you should have a DOT fitting available correct? Or a push connect dot fitting for 3/8" line. You need to make a gauge to rear the pressure off your compressor or at that line. I attached some pics of mine off the compressor wrapping the gauge around vs 5 ft down the line I had only 30. Line was stopped up.

You can pull your dash gauge out fairly quickly as it has a screw on 3/8 on the back. you can substitute that line to hook on, just remove it from the fire wall.

It is loud and forceful off the compressor and should be the same off the line. I mean very loud and forceful.

Attachments

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I ended up reusing a fitting from the drier not a connected unfortunately

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I ended up reusing a fitting from the drier not a connected unfortunately

Ok. Do you have an extra gladhand off of your tow bar air lines or just one in general?

One way to eliminate the line and see if its the compressor is this.

Remove the inverted flare fitting from the compressor that your line hooks to. It should have a half inch male pipe on the compressor side.. hook the gladhand to that pipe thread and hook it to the line off the compressor and charge the truck using your buddies and see if it builds. If it doesnt air up you have a line or dryer issue if you are not bypassing it already. If it does air up then your compressor is crapped out

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I no longer have anyone to borrow air from, so my resources are dwindlying

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The unloader in the air compressor head can get stuck. It's a common problem. Sometimes you can tap on the head and get it to go. Could be a governor issue causing the unloaded fault also. Governor is on engine bay firewall.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I have bypassed the regulator and still to no avail, no go. Can anyone tow me?

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
See if this helps. Go to the air dryer and take off the spin on filter. Reach in where the filter came off there will be a cardboard looking tube. Take this out and then screw the cartridge back on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks