• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 Trailer hook up. Air supply. Need guidance.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Searched but no luck

Recovering a M989A1 Ammo trailer next week.
I know/think the Gladhands color hooks up to the same color on tow vehicle.

Whats throwing me is that on both my 5 tons, looking at the rear, the red is on passanger side and blue on drivers side. Looking at the front its opposite.

The ammo trailer has red on drivers and blue on passanger side.
Which means that the hoses would be crossed when hooked up to truck.

Making matters worse, the cargo trailers that I can see in the background have the air hoses just the opposite of this ammo trailer. Blue on drivers/Red on passanger side.

Is is this normal?
Both trucks were rebuilds
TMs don't mention what color is on what side.
Online pics didn't help.

If I turn red valve on running truck, passanger side, I get a supply of air.
Nothing comes out on blue(drivers) side when valve is turned.

Ive never had/used/towed a trailer with air brakes before so all this is new.

Any input would be great!

MtnSnow

The colors on your truck are correct (Red (emergency air) Drivers Front and Passenger Rear) and (Blue (Supply) Passenger Front and Drivers Rear). On the trailers you hook the Red up to Red and Blue up to blue. If by chance your trailer doesnt release it's brakes because the colors are mixed up just swap them around.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
On the trailer the main lines on the frame should be color coded. Trace your lines down the frame. Your emergency side will go into the spring brake chambers. The other line will go into the service side. Air lines going to trailers generally tend to cross on the trucks. Just check your air lines on the trailer to ensure that they are hooked up right cause lord knows what person did them may have done them right. Also never trust colors.

Be sure to carry your caging bolts and 3/4" wrench or caging socket. you may have air leaks and atleast u can cage the brakes and still supply air to the air bags.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
image.jpeg
So this crosses over tow bar?

i can't find any close up pics of hookup on these.
Hope it's long enough.
M939 series wasn't supposed to tow these.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yea. You should always carry two 10ft double gladhand hoses for using a towbar or double air supply or feeding your truck or another truck air.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the trailer the main lines on the frame should be color coded. Trace your lines down the frame. Your emergency side will go into the spring brake chambers. The other line will go into the service side. Air lines going to trailers generally tend to cross on the trucks. Just check your air lines on the trailer to ensure that they are hooked up right cause lord knows what person did them may have done them right. Also never trust colors.

Be sure to carry your caging bolts and 3/4" wrench or caging socket. you may have air leaks and atleast u can cage the brakes and still supply air to the air bags.
There is a air switch on this trailer like in the 5 tons dash.
According to the trailer TM, you engage that and it's supposed to cage the brakes automatically.
Its gonna be a 900 mile round trip recovery and trying to Cover all the bases

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just best to carry em. Better to cover all basis on an unknown trailer. Your spring brake chambers on your 925 should have caging bolts stored on them.

If you hookup the glad hands and charge the system and find out the glad hands need switched . you need to turn off the air unhook the glad hands and bleed the air tank on the trailer completely this will reset the system . If you just switch the glad hands it won't reset the system . This is good to know when picking up trailer that are new to you .

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you hookup the glad hands and charge the system and find out the glad hands need switched . you need to turn off the air unhook the glad hands and bleed the air tank on the trailer completely this will reset the system . If you just switch the glad hands it won't reset the system . This is good to know when picking up trailer that are new to you .
Very good to know!!
Thank you

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ha not far. I did 6200miles in my 5 ton in august alone. I am about to do another 1500 next week.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ha not far. I did 6200miles in my 5 ton in august alone. I am about to do another 1500 next week.

Initial recovery for the 925 was 960 miles.
I've put over 400 on it in the last month. 3800+ since I've had it. (2years)
Just not with a 11k trailer behind me. Or any trailer.

Going over truck now for the trip. 475 miles each way.
Trying to prepare for the unexpected

I figured the air hoses were hooked up color matching but the trailer hoses being opposite of truck confused me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks