• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M928A1....to scrap or not to scrap...that is the question.

mcshooter79

OK, so I always wanted a long bed and I took a gamble on one that sold out of Bragg recently. The dash was pulled out and gauges missing but I had guages and there were no other indications that the truck wasn't operational. Spoke to a rep at the lot and he said the truck started and drove, they had moved it around the lot. Based on these facts I took a gamble and decided to try and drive back to FL. When I got to Bragg and started the truck it didn't sounds good, engine had a knock and the idle was generally rough and poor throttle response, so things don't look good. Used a crowbar to listen to the block and the knock seemed to be up top as I couldn't really hear anything in the bottom end. The exhaust had a kind of "pulse" to it, like one cylinder was burning more fuel than the others. I changed the filter in the water separator and put some fresh diesel in it and the engine started to run smoother and had good power and throttle response but the knock and the pulsing didn't go away. When given some throttle in neutral the engine revved smoothly and the knock would almost disappear but when power was applied under load the knock would grow in volume. Drove the truck to a Freightliner truck dealer/shop I was assured by a "Cummins" mechanic who listened to the motor that is was probably just a fuel issue and the motor would hold together and probably run better as the fresh fuel ran through the system.

So to shorten this story, 3 hours into the trip home the engine developed more of a rattle whenever I decelerated and the idle had more "noise". I pulled over and now there was more of a mechanical rattle that could be heard like maybe something in the bottom was letting go.....and then something did. I don't know what it was but something "broke" loose and started making all kinds of racked like things hitting other things. As fast as I could I shut the engine down (about 5 seconds as I was outside and on the passenger side). Couldn't find anything obvious and other than the racket and something obviously being rattle around the engine had continued to run with no other negative indications during that 5 seconds. After being unable to find anything on the outside of the engine that had let go I restarted the engine out of morbid curiosity. Ran it for about 2 seconds with the same results and shut it off.

The truck now sits in wrecker yard in Walterboro SC until I decide what to do with it. I can drive my M931A1 up there and tow it back but do I part it out and scrap the rest or do I try to fix it...that is the question. The truck otherwise seems to be in decent shape asside from needing a little TLC. The transmission shifted positively and smoothly the whole time. The air pump probably has a bad head gasket and I will need to replace the speedometer adapter where it comes out of the transmission but other than that I have no other major mechanical issues. I can do almost anything mechanically but I don't have the equipment to pull out an engine this size (NHC-250). I don't really what it will take to fix it or if it's worth the effort.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
M928 with Ford.jpg928 dash.jpg928 Engine.jpg928 winch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well if you end up parting it out I would like first dibb"s on windshield washer bottle.
Thanks

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Where were you headed, Al or Fl. since you have two states in your sig.

PM inbound

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engines are MUCH easier to get than a 928. They are relatively easy, especially down south lots of trucks being parted. If it was me, and its not, I'd get an engine in it, or drop the pan and troubleshoot, put it together and enjoy it!

quickfarms

Tow it home. check the fluids to see if there is any contamination such as oil in the water or the reverse and metal in the oil. if all looks good get a good mobile mechanic to look at it. I had one that ran horribly and bad fuel had wiped out the injectors and pump.

Flat towing it with the 931a1 or on a trailer? Either way that would be a long ride back to FL, I would suggest getting it hauled. I flat towed the other 928 from Bragg back to my house and I only live a couple hours away. Not something I want to do again anytime soon, that is a HEAVY truck!

Hate to hear the truck didn't turn out so well, I wanted to buy it as well as the one I got but prices went too high.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Flat towing it with the 931a1 or on a trailer? Either way that would be a long ride back to FL, I would suggest getting it hauled. I flat towed the other 928 from Bragg back to my house and I only live a couple hours away. Not something I want to do again anytime soon, that is a HEAVY truck!

Hate to hear the truck didn't turn out so well, I wanted to buy it as well as the one I got but prices went too high.
heavy truck tows call for m819s

mcshooter79

I was headed back to the Gainesville area of FL. I actually have a family farm only a few minutes away from Camp Blanding for those that know where that is.

Yeah I have worked with CSMDavis before, if I get to that point I will hit him up to see what he has but one problem I have is that right now I don't have the facilities to pull the NHC-250 even if I wanted to change it, it's just so darn heavy.

I will check the fluids for contamination when I get home and pull the pan to see what I can see. The more I learn about the engines the more I realize that allot of major maintenance can be done on these engines without pulling them so maybe there is hope for a repair. If the engine comes out I don't know if a 250 will go back in, if I'm going to pull an engine then the possibility of some kind of upgrade would be very tempting not that I have any issues with the 250.

CBR Metal, I'm glad you got your truck home in one piece and I wish you the best of luck with it. I don't plan to flat tow it, I actually have a device that I built that I can use to piggyback it on the 931. I have already successfully used it to bring home two 931s and the 928 only has about 6 thousand more pounds on it than the 931 and all of that is in the back end so I think it will do the trick.

Thanks for the suggestions and support on keeping the truck, that is what I really want to do I just have to look at all of my options realistically but it's good to know that others think the truck is worth keeping out of the scrap yard.

Incidental I would like to have an 819 more than any other truck but it's not in the cards right now and I don't even know where I would find one.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't plan to flat tow it, I actually have a device that I built that I can use to piggyback it on the 931. I have already successfully used it to bring home two 931s and the 928 only has about 6 thousand more pounds on it than the 931 and all of that is in the back end so I think it will do the trick.
Pics or it's a prius! :grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks