• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M929 "Dump Body Safety Latch": Does it bang upon opening?

Landbarger

I've been looking in TM 9-2320-272-10 to try to figure this out, but I haven't found the answer I'm looking for. The mechanism I'm talking about is item "F" on pages 94-95 of the TM.

When I operate my dump body, I have the following issue: the dump will start to lift, hesitate, bang hard (which I think is when the safety latch releases), and then raise normally. Upon closing it operates normally and the safety latch appears to close back onto the flange underneath the bed. The thump is hard enough to be easily felt in the cab of the truck, which doesn't seem like it should be the case given that the latch is operated by a hydraulic cylinder. Inspecting the safety latch, I can't see any physical obstruction in the way of the latch operation, there is no rust on the mechanism, and there doesn't appear to be any damage to the latch mechanism or the catch under the dump body. The picture below shows what I'm talking about. The white arrow is pointing to the latch and the yellow arrow is pointing towards the catch on the underside of the bed.

Dump Body Safety Latch (and Catch).jpg

The TM only tells you that it's "NMC" (p.2-49) if the latch isn't working at all. Mine seems to be working, it just doesn't seem to be working well. Can any M929 owners tell me if these dumps always bang when the safety latch releases? I've asked a friend with an M817, but they don't seem to have a safety latch on them at all.

Thanks.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What is happening is the latch is not releasing all the way, so the bed maves a bit till the latch stops it, then moves again with the bang when the lift cylinders build enough pressure to power though the the partial released latch, the bed comes down and latches without the bang because the latching tab is chamfered on the bottom so it slides into retaining bracket. What you need to do is find out WHY the safety latch IN NOT RELEASING.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The latch should release smoothly as the bed goes up. Mine does not make any noise going up or down.

Landbarger

Can someone tell me if there's any mechanical adjustment to either the latch or the bracket it grabs onto? Or should I be looking for loose attachment of the latch or hydraulic cylinder instead?

Thanks.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When your lifting the bed can you see that the latch is pulled back? The latch should be pulled back anytime your lifting the bed.
If it is not I would say the Hyd. cylinder my not be working.
For safety be sure to put the bed stops up to hold the bed if you start to work on the Hyd. cylinder.
I saw a guy that was killed by a bed that came down on him.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Another thought, Just REMOVE THE LATCH, It is not really needed, just something the "military" liked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks