• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931 brakes stuck like chuck.

M936 Dave

Ok got the new group 31 batteries(2) wired up and got the engine fired with some helping of diesel crack aka ether. Tried moving it and the left rear drive axle is froze up. Tried rocking it back and forth and beating on wheel with 4 lb maul to no avail. The other wheels roll freely even caged that one brake and still stuck like chuck. Any tricks without having to remove the wheels etc.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ok got the new group 31 batteries(2) wired up and got the engine fired with some helping of diesel crack aka ether. Tried moving it and the left rear drive axle is froze up. Tried rocking it back and forth and beating on wheel with 4 lb maul to no avail. The other wheels roll freely even caged that one brake and still stuck like chuck. Any tricks without having to remove the wheels etc.
Big sledgehammer while it's in gear. If it's still stuck then chain it to a tree and try to go and hit it at the same time etc.

It's just rusted or a stuck wedge

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Big sledgehammer while it's in gear. If it's still stuck then chain it to a tree and try to go and hit it at the same time etc.

It's just rusted or a stuck wedge
You might with the brakes released and tires scotched not in gear unless you have someone in the drivers seat take you a foot long rod oe 1/2 inch extension and a short sledge you can use with one hand and put the rod/extention end on the steel that the shoe is riveted to and try smaking hell out of that in diferent spots ought to break the shoe free from the drum ! with it already caged either that or if you have the real flat prybar try to get under shoe and gently pry you dont want to bust the shoe material

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You might with the brakes released and tires scotched not in gear unless you have someone in the drivers seat take you a foot long rod oe 1/2 inch extension and a short sledge you can use with one hand and put the rod/extention end on the steel that the shoe is riveted to and try smaking hell out of that in diferent spots ought to break the shoe free from the drum ! with it already caged either that or if you have the real flat prybar try to get under shoe and gently pry you dont want to bust the shoe material
Rear covers on 939ss aren't fun to get off

Generally you can just hit the outer hub with the sledge or even the tire itself. However you need to chain it off so it cant drag it

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Generally you can just hit the outer hub with the sledge or even the tire itself. However you need to chain it off so it cant drag it
Copy that didnt think about covers ! i woukdnt have thought hitting the hub would pop a shoe loose! Did the lm/fmtv ever have covers i havnt seen any so far?

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think so. Generally marine Corp 939s didn't have the covers either.
Copy and while your on here what is the little swing open door on the m=atv tail light you had in your driveway do ? Thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Copy and while your on here what is the little swing open door on the m=atv tail light you had in your driveway do ? Thanks
It's called a Check 6 made by BAE. It's a camera/IR system.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's called a Check 6 made by BAE. It's a camera/IR system.

HELL YEA!! where do we get those at lol

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My luck when something was bad out back i would have left the covers over the lenses ! somebody got to go uncover the tail lights and tell me whats back there !!!!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw a few systems on ebay last year in the 3500 to 7k range.
I hate to be mr obvious but if that the case we can cut BAE right out of the mix with all these back up camera systems with infared and veiwing screen for 50 bucks on amazon and we only charge 4 grand each and we will paint them tan if they need that lol

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hell we could buy litton pvs 14 gen 4 penicle and the back up system and still have money left over ! We need to start makeing stuff for uncle sam they got DEEEEEEEEP pockets

M936 Dave

I beat the shit out of the wheel with a maul to no avail with it running in neutral with brakes released. Finally got Pissed off slammed it in gear and drug the sob 50 feet across wet gravel mostly mud now lol.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I beat the shit out of the wheel with a maul to no avail with it running in neutral with brakes released. Finally got Pissed off slammed it in gear and drug the sob 50 feet across wet gravel mostly mud now lol.
Why you have to chain it off so it can't drag it.

Drag it to pavement. It'll break loose then.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this a single or dual wheel truck?
Are you beating on the wheel, or the brake drum?

M936 Dave

Wow what a pita. Ended up having to remove both wheels to get brake unstuck. Thankfully I had a 1" impact and budd socket lol. Once I got the wheels off gave it 4 good slams with the sledge and voila it broke loose. Now time to change fuel filter it feels as if its no bueno anymore. Thanks for the help guys it helped me out a ton.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks