• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931 highway speeds?

MO MV man

Yes, I am having the itch for an M931A2.

After perusing YouTube and seeing a couple on the highway with GPS on display, I HAD to post and ask what sort of MPH I can expect.
I saw consistent 68-69MPH :)shock:) on GPS, with 2200 rpm on the tach and the speedo buried.
That is flyin', in my opinion. Seems almost too good to be true, though.

I'm wanting a super-single truck so the tire height will be there.
Either a 250 Cummins or the smaller turbo 6CT is fine in my book.

I am not expecting a "hot rod" but I don't want to be a sluggish highway hazard, either.

The plan is to bob it.

I did several searches and this is all I found:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/73304-m818-vs-m931a1-head-head.html
Awesome thread for sure! But getting a few more experiences is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot, folks!

Last edited:

goldneagle

With 11.00-20's i got 60 MPH @ 2200 rpm. I am sure the 14.00-20's will give at least 10% or more increase in speed. I will be doing the Super Singles as soon as my supplier had a good set in stock.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For clarification, the M931A2 has the 14.00s, CTIS, and the 6CTA.
The M931 and the M931A1 have the NHC.
Stock, the M931 has 11.00s, the A1 has 14.00s.

The M931A2 will easily do 65+ without a trailer, though I personally don't feel comfortable driving it at that speed.

Cheers

PS: while we are at it, the difference between an M931 and an M932 is the winch.

flibob

My 932a1 starts a little "hop" at 50 and about 1950 rpm. There is more left but I am going to figure out the hop first. Steers and handles very well though.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The M931/M932 5 tons are not road tractors....they are for pulling heavy loads across rough terrain at slow speed while being driven by mostly inexperienced drivers.

The Army used the M915's for hauling cargo on improved roads at highway speeds.

The 250 Cummins or the 8.3 are both low power engines for what may be expected of them.....great for pulling a heavy load at low speed but really sucking at pulling the same heavy load up a hill on an improved road.

It is often opined here that if you are buying an MV for speed then you are in for a great dissappointment. They have the aerodynamics of a concrete block, odd ball gearing, transfer cases and extra differentrals that work against fuel milage and speed.

jw4x4

I have only made one venture on the highway thus far. My 932A1 cruised easily @ 60 mph @ 1700 rpm. Was convoying with another MV. Felt very comfortable and there was still more left.

Westech

CPL
Well you can always crank the fuel... add lager tires and give it to her. My first deuce would go down the high way a tad over 65 MPH, at 2900 RPM. Was I young and foolish.. yes... Try doing a emergency stop at that speed... I think the truck would speed up when I would mash the brakes. Now days with me New deuce I like to drive around 53 MPH and 23-2400 RPM. She will do 63 with the foot mashed and the RPM's up there.. but I am getting a little older and dont like to blow things up.
The MV is what it is... will pull a house at 30 MPH all day every day but 55+ is a huge strain on the drive line.
take your time.. enjoy the view and you will get there. Unless you are going across the country you wont make up that much time going 50 ish or 65 ish. A extra hour here or there will save you big on parts and fuel.

SMOKEWAGON66

My M928 I had in Alaska would cruise at 55 smoothly, 63 WOT..and down hill, well lets just say the speedo will wrap around to around 10 lol...but dont do that, its dangerous and stupid!

My M915a1 I had in Germany cruised at 55 without a care in the world, and when rapped out, she would fly down the autobahn at an astounding 75...yes, I checked, paced by a car lol. The M915a3 I got as a replacement was governed at 60 so it would do 62 WOT...but after some sweet talking to the 63B's and a bottle of good irish whiskey, she ran around 95...although that was too damm fast for my blood lol...the Maint. crews' Tru-Hitch would run a buck 20, ISUN!

MO MV man

MANY thanks for all the responses!

As a previous M35A2 owner (see my avatar) who successfully bobbed and enjoyed that truck for a good while, I know what you are all saying about braking, tire speed ratings and what to expect from these big green beauties.
The fella who bought my truck GPS'ed 66mph on his drive home, thanks to the big tires, I'm sure.
No engine mods whatsoever.

I'm not wanting big MPH, just the ability to go highway speeds if the need would arise.

My plan would be to bob it and possibly construct my own bed.
Chances of me ever hauling a load (other than yard projects and such) is slim to none.
Drive it to work from time to time, car shows and such.

Keep the input coming, I do appreciate it.
I'm trying to go in educated on this pursuit.
The Deuce was a joy to own, modify and drive.

Last edited:

lost in the bush

Thanks for the thread.

Was having trouble deciding if we would use a M931 or M915-16 for our Limo conversion..

I think we will go with the M915-16 configuration.. Mostly improved road use, however I do not see why they will not go thru light - medium off road use with the 6x6 feature.

Plan to set up with High Super Singles all around.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Thanks 916 it is... Large and Mean Look is the Key to this conversion.
The M916 has the CAT transmission but is geared way low.......you will be lucky to do 58 at 2100 RPM and fuel milage will suck.....such is the nature of the beast.

If you put HEMMT rims and 1600X20 tires (if there are no clearance issues) on it you might get a few more MPH out of it.

emr

The M931A2 will easily do 65+ without a trailer, though I personally don't feel comfortable driving it at that speed.

Cheers

I will say that the Military put a 40mph speed limit on these trucks with the 1400s, I can guarantee U this loss of control problem will be worse with 1600s, just an fyi,

I will also say after driving many 5 tons, and my 925 with 1100s, and 1400s for many years, i agree they will easily do the speed, but the reason is ...why? tires wear amazingly faster, the fact remains I dont care how great a driver one is , When one of these trucks lets go at that speed, the only way it will be brought back is luck,

The risk to others on the road becomes so great, I can only say I think it is allot more than opinion...It is just dangerous, And irresponsible to drive those speeds in these tactical trucks, To want to drive those speeds, one should be collecting civilian trucks with those capabilities in there design, these trucks do not have.
Randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks