• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A2 New Addition!

spicergear

Got her home today with no mechanical conundrums! Whew! I did curse Mapquest however as it sent us off route badly until I eyeballed where we needed to go and just headed that way until roads looked familiar. 62 miles took 3hrs...ugh. Anyway gave a nice opportunity over all the paved hillclimbs and downslopes to shake the truck out real well. Big Cummins worked well, Allison (once warmed up) shifted really nicely. Full air brakes give you a good feeling that you could stop the truck NOW...if you wanted. Air system burped and farted and tweeked for about 15 minutes then settled in a seemed like decent solid system with only seemingly scheduled noises from then out.

First pic is beside a stock deuce and the second pic I tried to get at 55mph but got it on the 3rd take and dropped off a little. Truck was running very well on non-interstate improved secondary roads 1,800rpm @ 55mph and not in anyway feeling like anything was in an overspeed condition. A nice stretch and I bumped up to 60mph with no sweat. It drove well and didn't feel like it was really that big...just made the lane seem narrower. :mrgreen: Happy it's home, happy it was an uneventful trip.

Attachments

Last edited:

spicergear

Yeah...I know...well- what should have been 62 miles prolly ended up being over 90! Once we finally got to a road I knew and was only 17 miles from home there was a bridge out and sent us on a 25 minute detour! "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!" Oh well, home save! :)

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I kind of forget how big it is until you see it next to a deuce. I have a M925A2, like the way it drives, but it takes turns like the Titanic that's what's expected from a big truck. Nice truck. Does the CTIS work on yours.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SUPER-NICE & SWEET! Congrats!

Wishing I had access to these "newer" generation 5tons; besides all technical improvements I always liked the looks, the way that doghouse was widened at front, to gain more room for the larger radiator/ intercooler. Plus the clever tilt-up feature, of course!
One day I might come up with something similar but for a Deuce (vs. the ugly A3-nose....)

G.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful and check your tires. The truck may be willing to go 60 mph+, but the tires may not be rated for that. I KNOW that I have had 1400s that stated on the sidewall that they were rated for 55 mph MAXIMUM. I can't recall if they were Goodyears or Michelins and they may have changed the tires...but I am POSITIVE that the sidewall had this warning. Be careful. Glad you made it back and glad you are enjoying the truck. I love the M939A2 series!

spicergear

It has it's share of cosmetic issues but I'll get to them. Oh, and the darned thing WAS green!!! Buggers!!

I haven't had a chance to try the different settings on the CTIS but it 'looks' to be working. When I hit the highway button the truck reacted. :mrgreen:

Yep, tires are 55mph. Truck just seemed to loaf along at that speed quite easily and I didn't think 1800rpm was bad either. For having a low HP rating on that Cummins, it sure has some torque! You can tell when the Allison up-shifts...you get a big push as surges ahead.

My evil plan, so far is working. Sold something else kicking around the farm and sold that deuce in the picture and am with $400 of coving that nut. Next part of the plan to be initiated soon... :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Trango

Nice! Isn't that a fun little motor? Not sure if yours is P-pumped, but mine is, and already wears a #10 fuelling plate. It's my dim recollection that there are differences in the 8.3 as installed in the military trucks, but I can't recall what those are (and I may be remembering incorrectly).

spicergear

You know what? Yeah, it is a fun motor! Turbo spools up, Allison upshifts and away you go. Took it down the farm last night to check the 6x6 mode and see if the CTIS worked. Positive reports on each...and man (!!) what a roomy cab! I do seriously like this truck...it is spoiling me already. It's driving manners (aside from some bob-tail tandem bounce now and then) are really good. Steer it one finger, stop it with your big toe. :mrgreen:

Here's another size pic (yeah, I gotta move that log sometime...) and the second pic was posted by another member recently...WHAT COLOR #CARC IS THAT FIVE TON??? Thanks!

Attachments

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great looking 931! I'd love to have any 939A2. I dig 809 trucks, but I've always thought the 939s look much meaner. The mechanical improvements they made over the 809 5 tons are pretty nice too.

I hate it when someone asks me what kind of mileage my 813 gets (standard answer now is 3 gallons of whale oil per mile :twisted:), but I am curious how the 6CTA Cummins in a 939 truck compares to a NHC-250 Cummins in a 809 truck?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks