• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M934A2 Expandable Off-Road capabilities

Nomadic

I'm researching the M934A2 as a camper and want the big truck for its value and off-road capabilities (but not limited to). I'm looking to find out how much the box on the back reduces its off-road capabilities by asking those in the know to compare it with something concrete, like this youtube video of a guy going off road. Do you see any problems attempting any of these hills/drop-offs in the expandable van?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtXEaUN9Rj8

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The extra weight is going to be a problem on the steeper stuff.

The longer wheelbase is going to be prone to high center.

The longer wheelbase is a big difference in maneuverability.

The turbo needs to spin up to make power. At highway speeds it clearly outperforms the NA 855. Right off the line, it does not.

The extra weight also makes the 934s top heavy. The video shown doesn't include much in the way of side slope, but side slope will be a big deal for the 934.

The most nimble off road are the truck tractors w/o winches (approach angle ). But operating alone, you probably want a winch....

Nomadic

Sounds like there would be a trade off in living and office space vs. off-road capability.
I dug up this Moab run with the tractor supporting what I hear you say. This guy makes it look easy with his driving skills. Watching him drive up is so awesome, like the truck is hardly phased.
There is a video of another guy with a S-250 shelter on the frame rails. Would this shelter on the rails hamper a run like the Moab vid? It might be the configuration that is far more off-road capable but sacrificing too much desk and living space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfiYagn6Yho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq2h60GaqMQ&list=PLp3aI8CjU1uGUHOtL9xby864TLb10CLon

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
While I don't have a 900-series truck, I do have a M292A2 expansible van. It is one of my favorite vehicles to drive on the road - the long wheelbase and heavy weight of the box make for a very smooth ride (for a 2 1/2 ton 6x6). Those same factors are likely to work against you in a severe off-road situation. My off-road experience with the M292A2 has been limited to driving across some moderately soft ground, and the truck definitely had a greater tendency to bog than did my other trucks.

Hope this helps!

David Doyle
www.DavidDoyleBooks.com

red

For the best offroad performance with a 5 ton camper go for a tractor like 98G mentioned. If you want the camper always attached to the truck then pick up either the box from a M109 or a s280 shelter and secure it to the frame. Both of those are 12ft long, the s280 is a few inches narrower than the m109 box.

Or take a m934 and make the box non expansible by removing the extra roof/floor sections, that will help lower the center of gravity. Will never be as offroad capable as the tractor with shelter.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I havent taken it offroad but I have a 934a2 and had a 934 with duals in the past. The 8.3 motor is nicer it will spool quicker with the fuel turned up a tad. The dual tires are significantly more road stable than the singles. Maybe because the truck is a big sail in the wind. If I had to take one light offroading I think the duals would work better.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Also take into account that it is like driving a billboard. 12ft tall on super singles. Not to mention the 8.3L is gutless down low until you spool it up. So be prepared to be in low range on anything other than asphalt. Then also remember that if it sinks offroad and even IF you installed a winch it is gonna take some arse to get it out of a hole. Also not many trees in Nevada to hook a winch onto anyway.

Nomadic

The M934A2 is attractive for the real-estate and price (and not limited to), but it may not be as mobile in the rough country as I need it to be. You make a great point about getting stuck. That will be a problem not having a recovery method. Maybe jacks and blocks would help in some cases.

In the summer to escape the heat I need to be at the 9,000+ Ft. level and at that elevation climb out of the graded dirt road up and over the berm that has developed over time from grading the road. There is something about maxing out the rated payload with the van/expandable unit before adding any of my gear and supplies into it. I may be asking a bit too much.

The idea of reducing the weight by removing the expandable pieces is interesting. I'm guessing that would lighten the load by ~2,000 lbs.

There are some good ideas here in this thread. I've excluded the Humvee (price) and the FMTV (not reliable enough). Its almost like the tractor and add-on box would be as off-road capable as the Humvee ambulance (or high payload truck + box). The torque bias diffs in the Humvee look pretty hard to beat. There would be more camper space in the 5-ton and cost at least 1/2 as much.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The M934A2 is attractive for the real-estate and price (and not limited to), but it may not be as mobile in the rough country as I need it to be. You make a great point about getting stuck. That will be a problem not having a recovery method. Maybe jacks and blocks would help in some cases.

In the summer to escape the heat I need to be at the 9,000+ Ft. level and at that elevation climb out of the graded dirt road up and over the berm that has developed over time from grading the road. There is something about maxing out the rated payload with the van/expandable unit before adding any of my gear and supplies into it. I may be asking a bit too much.

The idea of reducing the weight by removing the expandable pieces is interesting. I'm guessing that would lighten the load by ~2,000 lbs.

There are some good ideas here in this thread. I've excluded the Humvee (price) and the FMTV (not reliable enough). Its almost like the tractor and add-on box would be as off-road capable as the Humvee ambulance (or high payload truck + box). The torque bias diffs in the Humvee look pretty hard to beat. There would be more camper space in the 5-ton and cost at least 1/2 as much.
Or you can buy my expado box that can be towed. You can always set it up at base camp then take your m923 or 925. Or even 927 offroad. I have the box for sale for 2000 on the trailer ready to go. I have the 934 truck with a 20ft bed on it for 8,000 ready to go.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

TB58

Interesting thread, I am looking into upgrading my living situation to something a little more versatel. I will be watching as more Ideas flow in

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The fmtv trucks are reliable. You will have to initially work the kinks out of anything. Lmtvs have a larger cab and are all around more comfortable.

71DeuceAK

As someone who is wondering about living in an M927A2 or M928A2 with a box in the bed, anyone ever take a long base cargo truck off road or mudding? Curious how the XLWB versions would fare.

Nomadic

Or you can buy my expado box that can be towed. You can always set it up at base camp then take your m923 or 925. Or even 927 offroad. I have the box for sale for 2000 on the trailer ready to go. I have the 934 truck with a 20ft bed on it for 8,000 ready to go.

I'll keep that in mind. The idea of having a trailer and cargo truck is big. Plenty of room to haul fuel barrels, generator, water tank(s), recovery gear, traction to cross deep questionable washouts and a free-weight set separate from the living and work quarters. The offroading would be to get to camp, not so much for recreation. The best camp spots are where its hard to get to :D

At the moment, your rig would be a huge and awesome upgrade that would expand opportunities in a big way. I'm now in a Chevy Volt and a tent and decided to do this full time in something more appropriate, but won't be buying until March. I'd like to buy from this community, such a great group here.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
As someone who is wondering about living in an M927A2 or M928A2 with a box in the bed, anyone ever take a long base cargo truck off road or mudding? Curious how the XLWB versions would fare.
U need 20 acres to turn around. Forget going on trails with trees. And u better have some power to turn all that weight to get out of trouble or you will go down in the first puddle over the hub

71DeuceAK

Haha! Yeah, they have the turning radius of a planet! Of course the M923/M925 does much better, they'll go all sorts of places. Would love to take mine on the trails once I get one, go get muddy. Probably the XLWB version first, then a 923 or 925 is next on my list.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Haha! Yeah, they have the turning radius of a planet! Of course the M923/M925 does much better, they'll go all sorts of places. Would love to take mine on the trails once I get one, go get muddy. Probably the XLWB version first, then a 923 or 925 is next on my list.
934/935 trucks are LWB but are shorter than a 927/928 in overall length

frdtrkguy

What I've noticed with my 934 is that if you cant crawl an obstacle then gaining momentum to bounce up isn't an option. The truck is just too heavy to spool the engine like the first vid. Mine is the NA 855 and that may be the difference. Overall its a very impressive machine for its size and weight.

red

Those dirt berms are what, about 2ft high? Wouldn't be worried about getting over them with any of the setups. The truck is more offroad capable than you will be initially comfortable with.

Mostly have to figure out how much space do you want/need, does it need to be indoors, and are you willing to setup a base camp or should it all be ready to go? How difficult of trails do you want to take the truck on and what type of terrain (heavily wooded, rocks, deep mud....).

Assuming that your terrain is similar to the mountains in Utah (rock/dirt trails, no deep mud or heavily wooded areas like the southeast) I wouldn't go bigger than a m934 or the m931 tractor with the shelter on it and a m105 in tow.

Some pics of the more flat terrain out here http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?161052-Utah-offroad-trip-to-5-mile-pass I wouldn't hesitate to take a m934 with a m105 in tow down those trails but would not consider a longer trailer due to the tight turns.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks