• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 transmission stuck in reverse.

redrustyhill

Using my wrecker in the local demolition derby. After lifting a car off the barrier I went to shift into drive and I went backwards right into the car I just recovered and he got stuck on my hitch. Regardless what position the shifter is in, even nuetral, the truck goes backwards only. Shift cable and shift arm are moving properly. Is this an "easy" fix or is the transmission FUBAR?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
See if the switch on your transfer case lever is stuck. If not unplug it from the capacitor. Number 585 and 586 wires. If still a no go then your valve body is stuck or 4th gear burned up and welded itself to the reverse clutch. Or it decided it was its time. They do that.

You can also try regrounding the torque converter lockup solenoid. Its behind the plate that holds the shifter cable. Reroute it to the eyelit ground on the bellhousing
Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

redrustyhill

What would the t-case lever switch have to do with it? Isnt that just for activating the detent switch to unlock the shift rod? Is there anyway to troubleshoot if it's the valve body or clutch discs seized up?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It locks the torque converter up if it staying energized then it wont release the pressure. It a common problem where it will get stuck im reverse or neutral then when you put it in drive itll lock up the truck and kill it. It is your simplest check since you had to push it to move the transfer case to neutral to run your pto.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What would the t-case lever switch have to do with it? Isnt that just for activating the detent switch to unlock the shift rod? Is there anyway to troubleshoot if it's the valve body or clutch discs seized up?

Allison makes a troubleshooting guide for the 600 series transmissions. I have a take out 654 that is on a pallet ready to go. I think it can ship thru fastenal to Williston.

redrustyhill

It locks the torque converter up if it staying energized then it wont release the pressure. It a common problem where it will get stuck im reverse or neutral then when you put it in drive itll lock up the truck and kill it. It is your simplest check since you had to push it to move the transfer case to neutral to run your pto.

Thanks, I'll check that out after work today. Before I figure out a way to tow the tow truck home

redrustyhill

Allison makes a troubleshooting guide for the 600 series transmissions. I have a take out 654 that is on a pallet ready to go. I think it can ship thru fastenal to Williston.

What do you want for the transmission?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
$900. It came out of a truck with a blown engine at 234 miles and 41 hours on it.

You have other 5 tons dont you? just put weight in a cargo bed and towbar it home after dropping the front tandem shaft.

red

Yall realize a wrecker is almost double the weight of the other 5 ton tractor/cargo trucks? It's not so much a braking issue with a flat tow it's a weight concern, the towing vehicle needs to be at least close in weight to the towed vehicle or the towed vehicle will not follow through turns.

If flat towing with only 1 person need either another wrecker, a HET, a HEMMT, or at least 17k pounds loaded into the bed of a cargo truck.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yall realize a wrecker is almost double the weight of the other 5 ton tractor/cargo trucks? It's not so much a braking issue with a flat tow it's a weight concern, the towing vehicle needs to be at least close in weight to the towed vehicle or the towed vehicle will not follow through turns.

If flat towing with only 1 person need either another wrecker, a HET, a HEMMT, or at least 17k pounds loaded into the bed of a cargo truck.

Honestly as long as you have 8000 to 12000 in the bed you are ok I believe. Especially with a medium heavy or heavy bar to get it off your butt. It also helps a lot to pull the front hubs off so the front axle free wheels. I always carry an extra set of desplined hubs cause it makes tow baring so much easier in my opinion. I had 11 395s MVTs and 6 16.00s in the bed of my truck towing this 816 with all it's gear from Dallas to Memphis. It actually towed like a dream and made it in 9hours. Gimpy is the one who uses a tractor to tow wreckers home, and people call me crazy.

Other thing is that those people who have towbarred a lot. The little weaving and bucking you kinda know what to expect and it doesn't bother ya as much as compared to my friends first experience that he said he hands hurt the next day from gripping the wheel so hard.

I hate that turning effect where it follows but then tries to push the towing truck in the direction in which it's tires were going.

And don't even get me started on double towbaring. I only know about 5 people I would trust to even do it.

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Towed an M819, with an M818, worked fine, with some common sense applied.

Gimp has done it too.

redrustyhill

I do realize that! Which is why flat towing is my last option. I have a m929 I could use but I would definitely fill the bed with rock and go slow!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
When my wrecker went down, the 818 towed it just fine. No you can't drive like your on a racetrack, you need to know your stopping distances etc. Unless it is snowing or raining, it'll be fine.

red

Considering how some of yall get on peoples asses about flat towing a 5 ton with a deuce, then give advice to flat tow a wrecker with a empty regular 5 ton, really?! Simp had 8-12k weight and some handling issues (an improvement and addressing the concern).

Common sense and flat towing a m819 with m818 don't belong in the same sentence. I aint a safety nazi by any means but unless you're talking about only a emergency tow at slow speeds, ****. Half the weight and a lightweight back end on the towing vehicle, only common sense thing there is assuming the brakes worked on the towed vehicle. Rest of it is textbook examples of what not to do. I do sketchy **** but I **** sure don't give it as advice of what to do.

Redrustyhill the m929 full of rock would be a good option, way better than the tractor for flat towing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

redrustyhill

Considering how some of yall get on peoples asses about flat towing a 5 ton with a deuce, then give advice to flat tow a wrecker with a empty regular 5 ton, really?! Simp had 8-12k weight and some handling issues (an improvement and addressing the concern).

Common sense and flat towing a m819 with m818 don't belong in the same sentence. I aint a safety nazi by any means but unless you're talking about only a emergency tow at slow speeds, ****. Half the weight and a lightweight back end on the towing vehicle, only common sense thing there is assuming the brakes worked on the towed vehicle. Rest of it is textbook examples of what not to do. I do sketchy **** but I **** sure don't give it as advice of what to do.

Redrustyhill the m929 full of rock would be a good option, way better than the tractor for flat towing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I've done enough flat towing to know what's safe and what's not. The tractor towing a wrecker is possible but then again just because something is possible doesn't mean it should be done. I'm going to see about borrowing the Kenworth and lowboy from work.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
in the local demolition derby
What distance is "local"?

Obviously distance, weather and road conditions play into this but, we don't have those details.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could tow it with your lawn tractor, that far.2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks