• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936A2 crane winch motor

charlesmann

iv got a leak on my winch motor, out of something that does turn. not sure what it is (has a male sqr drive head on it), but i have tried to adjust it, counting half revs from 1 direction, back to where it was, then the other direction. but its still leaks and is worse (as it should be intros case) when crane/winch hydraulics are operating. i would much rather replace the o-ring, than rob from my other truck, even though that is what it was bought for. here is a pic of where it is leaking from. if i can find out the manufacture and the manufacturer and manf. p/n for the winch, i could at least look at replacing the o-ring before robbing my parts truck.
TM IPC p/n is 2375388 and nsn 4320-01-320-4744
there is no IPC that i know of (maybe a depot level (thought i had all mm and parts manuals) mm and parts manual) just for the winch motors for front, rear and crane.

there is a data tag, partially visible behind right hyd line. but i can't feel any stamps/engravings that would indicate it anything. no other data tags are on the motor.

if by chance, someone does know the o-ring part number, that would be great, but what about a mm for disassembly and reassembly?

crane motor.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Commercial intertech pump. Also a wilson/parker unit. # 3169310251 is the pump number.

Mine has slowly leaked for years. I am sure any parker store has the o ring

charlesmann

thanks for the link. i used the search function, but me and search engines don't get along.
the link inside that thread was good, but sent me to another thread that evidently isn't around anymore.

Commercial intertech pump. Also a wilson/parker unit. # 3169310251 is the pump number.

i ent an email to parker. i don't expect to hear back from them, other than to tell me to find a dealer/repair shop and take it to them.

does anyone know how to release tension off the winch system when the truck won't run? the crane block is pulled tighter than Dick's hatband against the rear winch chain. i was thinking of taking the lines off the motor and trying to pull against the crane rope to get some slack on the crane winch. not sure if it'll work w/o messing stuff up internally i.e. the internal brake mechanism.

charlesmann

That link is updated now.
thanks for the link fix. but it was a dead end too.
I'm hoping parker will get me the mm and ipc so i can post them here for others. but i won't hold my breath. the local parker place in waco is a bunch of turds the few times i went in for help. id rather buy a new pump than deal with them. i'll have to find a place in houston or austin if i need much more than parts the ti can't source locally.

charlesmann

Fixed the one in that quote, also...
i saw that, and thank you. that was the 1 i was referring to being broke. but when i said dead end. i meant no help as far as an ipc or mm. similar issue as a poster was saying himself, break down of other items, but the winch motor, nothing. as if it is a throw away for unit/individ maint.
thanks for all your help though.

charlesmann

Got a reply back from parker but it only the maint manual. Sent a reply for the part list too. Will post the mm when i get hm and post the parts if get it.

charlesmann

Can you look up the nsn for the entire crane/wrecker body plz? Im at work with no access to my tms. But the parker guy is saying the crane motor is put together wrong.
he asked if i had talked to the crane mfr, which im betting it falls under the us army tank command, but every piece of hdwr or component will be made by different vendors.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Can you look up the nsn for the entire crane/wrecker body plz? Im at work with no access to my tms. But the parker guy is saying the crane motor is put together wrong.
he asked if i had talked to the crane mfr, which im betting it falls under the us army tank command, but every piece of hdwr or component will be made by different vendors.
I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Its an o ring under that fitting. Nothing complex.

I doubt the pump or crane is put together wrong. So tell the parker idiot to kick rocks.

As far as disassembly and reassembly. It is fairly simple. Unbolt it. You will have a few thrust washers and shaft drives. If the pump is working then they are fine. No reason to take it apart.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had my motor worked on two times, I have worked on it and it still leaks, I think that is just what the do. I just keep a pan under it.
I wrecker is just going to have leaks.

charlesmann

I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Its an o ring under that fitting. Nothing complex.

I doubt the pump or crane is put together wrong. So tell the parker idiot to kick rocks.

As far as disassembly and reassembly. It is fairly simple. Unbolt it. You will have a few thrust washers and shaft drives. If the pump is working then they are fine. No reason to take it apart.
in my field of work "its just an o-ring" can kill the flight crew, myself, and or people on the ground. for over 20yrs, even on wheeled vehicles, i do maint by the book, and use parts that are called out in the book.
a 2,000, 4,000 or a 20,000 lb load, can injury or kill someone if maint is not done correctly. and I'm not talking about just an o-ring that needs replacing. there are bushings, gears and possibly bearings that could have taken a crap. i don't like to half ass my work, never did and I'm not gonna start now just bc its a clunky ole' wheeled vehicle. plus I'm trying to save the person from the "matching things up and hope it works".

not sure how it worked, or works in your job or neck of the woods, but when asking someone for help, telling them to pound sand or kick rocks or play in a congested traffic intersection usually doesn't provide the help one is seeking. sometimes its best to ask for someone else.
yes i agree, he is an idiot or stupid or lazy, but he is the cards iv been dealt, so i lay those cards till i get a new hand.
now that I'm at hotel and access to the tms, ill try and get what i need.

charlesmann

I have had my motor worked on two times, I have worked on it and it still leaks, I think that is just what the do. I just keep a pan under it.
I wrecker is just going to have leaks.
that is true. hydraulic systems leak. even sealed systems aren't fully sealed, they leak. and if that is the case, so be it, but trying to fix it is better than just letting it leak. i too keep a drip pan under it, when its static. doesn't do much during operations and the boom isn't above the pan. its leaking more and more the more i operate it, so its telling me its an impending failure that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. if they are just pissers, then keeping spare parts on-hand when away from home isn't a bad idea.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
in my field of work "its just an o-ring" can kill the flight crew, myself, and or people on the ground. for over 20yrs, even on wheeled vehicles, i do maint by the book, and use parts that are called out in the book.
a 2,000, 4,000 or a 20,000 lb load, can injury or kill someone if maint is not done correctly. and I'm not talking about just an o-ring that needs replacing. there are bushings, gears and possibly bearings that could have taken a crap. i don't like to half ass my work, never did and I'm not gonna start now just bc its a clunky ole' wheeled vehicle. plus I'm trying to save the person from the "matching things up and hope it works".

not sure how it worked, or works in your job or neck of the woods, but when asking someone for help, telling them to pound sand or kick rocks or play in a congested traffic intersection usually doesn't provide the help one is seeking. sometimes its best to ask for someone else.
yes i agree, he is an idiot or stupid or lazy, but he is the cards iv been dealt, so i lay those cards till i get a new hand.
now that I'm at hotel and access to the tms, ill try and get what i need.
Like I said. I don't know what you are trying to accomplish. There is no parts break down diagram of the winch pump on the boom. Nor is there any repair specific for it other than replacing it. Rebuilding the pump at the MP level is not done and is simply a order a new one from supply and put it on. They do not fail often since we do not see them much in surplus circulation

There are no bearings inside the pump. There are no bushings. Just plates and gears. You are over thinking this. Seriously. Replace the o ring on the plug. The other thread had the spec for the O ring. If it will make you happy i will take mine apart tomorrow just for giggles use my crayons and write it all out.

If your pump is not making any noise then leave it be. Fix the leak The pump is similar to a cross 50 series unit.

This is the parts diagram of a cross 53 series pump which is 2 stages of what you have. It is that simple internally. You will have gaskets between the sections in the pump. Knowing which ones you need you won't know till you open it up. Or simply replace your pump with a new cross unit.

And Yes I will tell people who over think stuff to go kick rocks. Pretty much the best advice I can give someone sometimes when they don't K.I.S.S.

@Csm Davis may have some other answers for ya since I will probably use the ignore button

Attachments

charlesmann

Like I said. I don't know what you are trying to accomplish. There is no parts break down diagram of the winch pump on the boom. Nor is there any repair specific for it other than replacing it. Rebuilding the pump at the MP level is not done and is simply a order a new one from supply and put it on. They do not fail often since we do not see them much in surplus circulation

There are no bearings inside the pump. There are no bushings. Just plates and gears. You are over thinking this. Seriously. Replace the o ring on the plug. The other thread had the spec for the O ring. If it will make you happy i will take mine apart tomorrow just for giggles use my crayons and write it all out.

If your pump is not making any noise then leave it be. Fix the leak The pump is similar to a cross 50 series unit.

This is the parts diagram of a cross 53 series pump which is 2 stages of what you have. It is that simple internally. You will have gaskets between the sections in the pump. Knowing which ones you need you won't know till you open it up. Or simply replace your pump with a new cross unit.

And Yes I will tell people who over think stuff to go kick rocks. Pretty much the best advice I can give someone sometimes when they don't K.I.S.S.

@Csm Davis may have some other answers for ya since I will probably use the ignore button
if there are no parts break down, then how is it parker did send me 1? its not in the normal maint level, but someone somewhere does repair them. that is why the cage code is a pafzz, means it has a repair code. a paozz is a throw away item. and yes, it is making a loud growling noise, similar to an electric winch. since i never have owner or operated 1, i assumed it was normal, or the rgb. and i don't need you to crayon it for me. like i said, parker did send me the non existent parts break down. and according to the breakdown, there are ball bearings in it.

as for just replace something. if its repairable, then repair/fix it. i don't know bout you, but i don't have an unlimited funds like the government has. troubleshoot and repair if possible, replace if necessary.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The military does not list it as a repair done by them so therefore it won't be in the TM. By the Manufacturer I am sure it is done but not by any IROAN or MSRS site.

Pull the pump. It is a SAE 4 bolt has With a 5/16 woodruff key. Replace the pump with a commercial equivalent. Around $300.

Some of the pumps are 10 spline units but those are mostly on the rear winches but on occasion were found on the booms.

charlesmann

Pull the pump. It is a SAE 4 bolt has With a 5/16 woodruff key. Replace the pump with a commercial equivalent. Around $300.

Some of the pumps are 10 spline units but those are mostly on the rear winches but on occasion were found on the booms.
once i get hm, and can figure out how to release the cable tension on the non-operational truck, i will rmv that motor, open it up, inspect and replace what needs to be replaced, including all seals before install it on the operational truck. its unk how long its been sitting idle. then repeat on for the other motor and shelf it for future use.
while its down, i will bore scope the gear case and see if the growling maybe coming from in there before installing another motor.

good to know on the splines.

charlesmann

Any luck on this?
I disconnected the lines from the rear of the boom, took my other crane and put a lil up tension till the boom supports pins were loose, rmvd supports and let tension off till enough slack was in the block and drag winch cable to disconnect the boom block hook, then put the boom supports back in place while i worked on rmving the lift cylinder pins, then wrapped endless loop slings around the boom to start pulling boom pivot pin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks