• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m936a2 rear drag line winch

sweetk30

anyone ever figure out how to do free wheel on one ?

or swap it for another winch with this option ?

seems kind of stupid there was no free spool option . :shrugs:

or am I missing something so stupid simple :?:

BEASTMASTER

all the ones I messed with you have to power out because the cable is so heavy and it has to go through the fairlead. it usually takes 4 or 5 soldiers to pull on it also.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the rear wrecker winches are a pain to unspool (and just use in general). I've had quite a bit of experience with this winch and can't think of any practical way to add on a free spool, you would more or less have to custom make everything from the drive gear out.

Are you winching something that you need the 45K line pull? If you could get by with a 20K, one of the 20L front winches would be a good replacement. Remember, you can always add parts in the line to increase line pull. Running a 2 part line on the 20K, you'll have almost as much pull as the 45k and even though you'll have to rig up a 2 part line, it would still be easier than dealing with the stock 45K winch.

Csm Davis

That is what the rope blocks and rope are good for, to pull that heavy cable through the level winder and out to whatever you want to hook to. Forget free spool you still can't handle 300' of 3/4" cable if you want to make it a 2 person job add a capstan winch or a a small electric winch to pull the cable out to your objective with a rope or small cable.

Csm Davis

anyone ever figure out how to do free wheel on one ?
There is not a free spool

or swap it for another winch with this option ?
Sure rip it out and spend about 10 grand or so.

seems kind of stupid there was no free spool option . :shrugs:
It will bird nest easy enough like it is you really don't want it to free spool.

or am I missing something so stupid simple :?:
The military has lots of people to help pull

makes sense I guess .
for what we want to use it for it will be just a huge p.i.t.a figure something out I guess.
What are you trying to use it for? Do you need to pull 30-45000 lbs? If not, use the front winch that's what it is for.

I am not trying to bash you but it seems that you haven't used many big winches and they will kill you if you're not careful I have broken one of these and it was bad, I have broken rigging that should have held all this winch could put out and that was bad. I have seen, used, and built winch trucks that have this size cables and larger and many don't understand that if you bend, smash, or kink them that they lose strength at that spot forever. The level wind and power out are to keep the cable safe as possible for the operators to use. I have used the rear winch a few times by myself with the rope and blocks to pull it out it is not easy but can be done.

sweetk30

csm davis

those are valid points .

yes its a big winch . I have never played with 1 this big .

I am not the owner of this truck its my bosses . he has been in the towing / recovery biss for years .

we will be using it for off-road / seasonal road / nasty weather recovery jobs that a reg city med/hd wrecker will not be the best for or ever get to .

so the questions I posted in this thread were more of his ( as he is not much for internet stuff old school ) so don't shot the messenger person here.

still figuring out a few bugs on the rig and getting it squared away and ready . so figure ask a few questions was all.

yes mt16y

we were thinking maybe swap out the 45k winch with a 2nd front one on the rear / add a whole front setup to the rear rails for a 3rd winch for reg use then have the 45k for nasty crap .

as said just trying to get use to this truck and figure few things out is all .

thanks for the help / ideas and feedback .

Csm Davis

Okay you will mainly be pulling idiots in mud holes out do you and the boss a big favor and use the front wherever you can and leave the rear for getting the M936 out because it will eventually happen and then the fun begins! I have stuck a M816, M936, and a M936A2 it is just part of taking a 40000 lbs truck off the road. You won't need the big 45 for pickup trucks or even a lot of stuck equipment. Tell your boss to feel free to call me. But if you plan on needing to use the 45 often I would add a small electric or hydraulic capstan winch.

sweetk30

he does med/big trucks also on the road jobs .

we do get the once in a bit call for ultra stuck mud trucks tho .

he just has had a few jobs it got scary to get in/out with city truck wrecker 35ton kw. if he had had this would have been 10x faster in/out on the job .

mdss

On my 936a2 I use a small 12v winch motor with wireless remote, 3k lb tension motor seems to work just fine. I attach to a grounding point near where I need to hook up the rear cable pay out the 45k and keep the tension with the 12v winch. Works great! I just built a little metal frame attached to the little winch and chain it to tree etc. There is other ways you can do it without remote.

Just attach snatch block etc to tree and pay out little winch wire from rear of truck around block to 45k winch and you can one man pay out the cable to. You can also hook it to a truck or w/e if you have the room and just creep along until you get where you want the cable to go. It's not that bad if you think about what you are dealing with. These trucks are not a weekend warrior truck. They are the real deal. So take your time. Think about the objective and how to do it safely and you will win every time with these trucks!

charlesmann

Found out yesterday paying out only SUCKS, I wish there was a free spool like on the front. I think I’m gonna use a 2500-3000 lb atv winch to help payout.

Get the remote pack from harbor freight and it seems to work with new batteries, out to about 50’. Depending how far i’ll Have to drag cable, may look into a cable grip for 3/4” wire/cable and grab a new bit till I get enough line dragged out, IF, i have to use the drag. If possible, I’ll use the front winch as much as possible. Would like to put a hand control for the front, at the winch, so I can see what is going on and listen to the winch and watch the cable for possible issues while dragging.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found out yesterday paying out only SUCKS, I wish there was a free spool like on the front. I think I’m gonna use a 2500-3000 lb atv winch to help payout.

Get the remote pack from harbor freight and it seems to work with new batteries, out to about 50’. Depending how far i’ll Have to drag cable, may look into a cable grip for 3/4” wire/cable and grab a new bit till I get enough line dragged out, IF, i have to use the drag. If possible, I’ll use the front winch as much as possible. Would like to put a hand control for the front, at the winch, so I can see what is going on and listen to the winch and watch the cable for possible issues while dragging.

Details on this harbor freight thing?

Interesting how you express a preference for the front winch. I actually prefer the rear winch...

charlesmann

Details on this harbor freight thing?

Interesting how you express a preference for the front winch. I actually prefer the rear winch...
The HF remote pack is their wireless remote.

Iv been using it on my warn 18k and it works as did on the badlands 12k, which I think i’ll Be buying another 1, while getting the motor replaced on the 18k.

Reactions: 98G

When adding a rear wrecker winch to my M52A2 it's powered from the transfer case so I had the choice of 5 speeds cable out and one speed cable on or the other way around . went with reverse being used to pull cable on and 5 forward gears to pay the cable out . It has worked fine when pulling a truck up on the trailer .
I added the winch to use it for gin polls and load the trailer.

Reactions: 98G
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks