• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Axle stub "RING - WIPER" installation tool?

Wile E. Coyote

Doing a couple of rear axle inner oil seal replacements on an M923 and the surface the oil seal rides on is badly grooved, so I want to replace what most of us would call the existing Speedi Sleeve - but which the Army calls "RING - WIPER, 2590-00-740-9553". Anyway, found a great deal on the sleeve itself, but nobody seems to have the "SEAL INSERTER - 5120-00-795-0136" you really should have to install it. I've put Speedi Sleeves on before and they're a bitch without the installer tool, so:

a) does anyone have one they care to sell, or know where to get one?
b) what are other owners using instead of the tool?

I've made tools up before out of various things but at the moment I don't have a lot of time to play around with fabbing up stuff like that.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
we used a hand grinder to remove the old ring, we thinned the ring to a blue, then used a small custom ground chisel to go between the ring and the spindle, spliting the ring, dressed up the spindle with fine emery cloth,

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can heat them in boiling water for about 20-40 seconds, get them hot but you have to be careful not to get to hot. The key was I had what I believe was an old PVC toilet flange that fit perfectly. You heated up the ring, put on fast and then put the pvc flange over and drive it on with a small 3lbs hammer.

Get an extra ring or 2 in case you mess up putting them on. Take the ring to your favorite hardware store and find the right size PVC flange and you are golden.

rangereter

I am not sure if you already bought the new seals, but if you haven't yet, you could go with either National or CR "unitized" seals and get away from the old single lip seal and wear ring assembly.
Regards, Bob

Wile E. Coyote

You can heat them in boiling water for about 20-40 seconds, get them hot but you have to be careful not to get to hot. The key was I had what I believe was an old PVC toilet flange that fit perfectly. You heated up the ring, put on fast and then put the pvc flange over and drive it on with a small 3lbs hammer.

Get an extra ring or 2 in case you mess up putting them on. Take the ring to your favorite hardware store and find the right size PVC flange and you are golden.
Ha. That's hilarious, because my 2 am problem-solving-half-asleep-mode mind also thought there might be some PVC out there about the right diameter :) The boiling water tip is great - never considered that. It made sense to heat them in some fashion but SKF basically screams it from the rooftops on their website not to heat them up (though I think they're picturing people doing it with an open flame propane torch which would indeed distort/ weaken the thinner varieties...like the virtual...tin foil...ones you get with the CUCV harmonic balancer sleeve kits.)

I had made up my mind to order a bunch of them in case I mess up. Sounds like something you'd be lucky to nail on the first try.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ha. That's hilarious, because my 2 am problem-solving-half-asleep-mode mind also thought there might be some PVC out there about the right diameter :) The boiling water tip is great - never considered that. It made sense to heat them in some fashion but SKF basically screams it from the rooftops on their website not to heat them up (though I think they're picturing people doing it with an open flame propane torch which would indeed distort/ weaken the thinner varieties...like the virtual...tin foil...ones you get with the CUCV harmonic balancer sleeve kits.)

I had made up my mind to order a bunch of them in case I mess up. Sounds like something you'd be lucky to nail on the first try.

I think I only messed up one :) hit the shaft with some sandpaper before you put these on so you have a smooth even surface. I think 162Tcat hit the adapter on the head, no pun intended!!!!

Take some pictures of the install, I forgot :(

rangereter

The unitized style seal SKF (CR) PN is 47660 and the National PN is 370051A. I have had good luck with both of these in the drive axles (M936). If you haven't installed this type of seal before, read the manufacturer's install procedures...this style of seal is not installed like the steel cased lip type. I cannot say how these seals will perform during fording ops, but they are definitely far superior to the old style for keeping gear oil in the hub.
Regards, Bob

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure if you already bought the new seals, but if you haven't yet, you could go with either National or CR "unitized" seals and get away from the old single lip seal and wear ring assembly.
Regards, Bob

Do believe going to CR47660 you still have to run the ring / wiper
Removal was easy for me just used long brass rod and tapped the backside lightely with a hammer.
Also the ring wiper is like 10 bucks from military supply and the speedi sleeve is 60 bucks .

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks