• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 No Spring Brake Ops - and...wow...

Wile E. Coyote

Years ago we bought an M923 from an Ebay vendor, which was an ex-GSA USFS disposal. The spring brakes never worked, but it seemed to stop fine. I finally got around to it and...yeah. Just...yeah.

The spring brakes didn't work because, as per usual, they'd jammed on and someone at some point decided to tow it or drive it anyway, uncaged, neatly shaving a 1/16" valley off the brake pads. The adjusters were seized, which I expected anyway - but what I didn't expect was what I found when I got into the wedge system.

Basically, the wedge operating rod and rollers didn't retract after a brake application (one had actually shed it's roller, suspiciously.) Upon removing the brake chamber stalk and the operating rod and roller assy (see '2' in the hopefully att'd diagram) - the spring was nothing but a pile of rusty semi-circles, and the roller mounts were rusted thin. Pulled all the rest of the rear chambers and found exactly the same thing. Every single one of those springs was a pile of rotted jingling semi-circles.

I rebuilt everything. After looking at things I would say the truck had been up to the doors in water or some swamp for a *very* long time, because I can't see any other way those brake chamber stalks would've retained water to that degree, nor how such rot could've occurred to things like the auto-adjuster springs (which were nothing but iron dust when I disassembled it all.)

Really, there's no giveaway as to the condition of all this stuff just looking at the truck externally because the paint's great and everything else works...BUT...again, suspiciously, in the driver's compartment the floor had shattered at some point thanks to an impact at the bottom corner of the cab where it mounts to the frame, and there's a bunch of really bad farmer-style gas welding there and rust...in that one spot only. Then you get into the cab and the driver's seat bottom has clearly been immersed in water/ muck/ mire for a very long time, as the diagonal tubes of the spring-ride seat are both rotted right through where they mount to the floor plate. I don't know what the story was with this truck, but it must've involved a few beer, a broken compass, and a swamp.

Anyway, if you're doing brakes on your own M939 series - might want to pop off one of the air chamber stocks and check out the spring condition on item '2' there. I'll be doing that on all the other trucks here when I get time.

Attachments

jarhead1086

I took mine apart and they looked like new except for the cooked grease from the air lines being installed wrong. I am always amazed when I hear stories like this and what I went through and they still make it to point B. I found rotted semi circle springs in the elbows coming off my oil cooler though. Luckily the shop rag I found in there too slowed their travel downstream.

rickyrecon

I have a 1985 M939 and the guy I bought the truck said the spring brake wasn't working... bought the truck anyway only to find that someone had damaged it with a crow bar as if they were trying to get it removed. It looks like the whole assembly that the drive shaft links into was pried open with a crow bar. Needless to say - it needs to be replaced. I have no idea where to buy the part and if I'm capable to repair it myself. Any advice is greatly appreciated or - I'm willing to pay someone one to help me fix it or fix it for me.

plode

After looking at things I would say the truck had been up to the doors in water or some swamp for a *very* long time, because I can't see any other way those brake chamber stalks would've retained water to that degree, nor how such rot could've occurred to things like the auto-adjuster springs (which were nothing but iron dust when I disassembled it all.)

I know of a M923 and a M936 that sat in salt water on a beach of the Delaware Bay for over 24 hours(trucks were stuck in mud) during Hurricane Sandy. The tide had come up deep enough to get water into the bed of the M923 and windshield deep on the M936.
I'm willing to bet, either a state government, a municipality, or someone personally probably owns these trucks now, if they weren't scraped :lol:

Csm Davis

I know of a M923 and a M936 that sat in salt water on a beach of the Delaware Bay for over 24 hours(trucks were stuck in mud) during Hurricane Sandy. The tide had come up deep enough to get water into the bed of the M923 and windshield deep on the M936.
I'm willing to bet, either a state government, a municipality, or someone personally probably owns these trucks now, if they weren't scraped
This also happened during Katrina 10 years ago and I know a lot of trucks got sold shortly afterward. Lot of people bought vehicles down here for cheap and hauled them far off and sold them without disclosure of the saltwater soaking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks