• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ODdave

Should be plenty "doable" The 6ct is an sae2 bellhousing correct? The next thing ( im not a heavy truck guru) Do they offer a single counter shaft 9 speed? I have only seen dual countershafts. Also if you could find a eaton/fuller rt-o or a rt-x it will have overdrive. The flywheel may be a little tricky to find but it seems I saw one local and recently for cheep....

Sorry, Just thinking aloud

ODdave

Yes, I would say roughly 2x as wide

OOOO, just thought about something, and I have one sitting in my shop. 5 speed with a brownie box??????? oh man, think of the gear grabbin !

Last edited:

eldgenb

the allison is by no means a skinny girl, plus the eaton fullers are much shorter, I have a 15 spd which is a 9 speed with a deep reduction gear box that will go in one some day that looks like it would fit that space. The frame rails are the same width as class 8 trucks so it should not be a clearance issue with the exception of the front drive line. I would have to do some measuring to figure that one out.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yes, I would say roughly 2x as wide

OOOO, just thought about something, and I have one sitting in my shop. 5 speed with a brownie box??????? oh man, think of the gear grabbin !
Not to bad, most drivers would not even think about driving a twin stick let alone know how.

Putting a stick and aux. in front of the transfer most likely require moving the transfer back., putting the aux. after the transfer would work, but sure would need a front drive lockout for everything but direct in the aux. this could be done by making rail detentes activate air switches to cut the air OFF from front drive air shift in every range but direct, like the older 5ts sprag shift set up.

Some auxs have the rails that extend past the case in certain ranges, in this case use the air switch as a ON control for the front drive, with the correct rail only activating, or a electric micro switch working the same as the air switch only in this case activating a electric air valve

Last edited:

Jason O

Bringing this back up. Anyone try this swap yet? I'm considering 9 or 10 speed box. Low-low gears in the transmission aren't really necessary due to low range in the transfer case. An overdrive gear would be nice, along with something a little less than 1:1.

I wonder how the transfer case would hold up to occasional shock load or backlash from a manual transmission.

bigford

Derrick that measurement is 16 inches as close as I can get it. Now for the disclaimer: mine is a 13 speed in a '79 F700. The frames are the same width. I have 5 ton axles under my truck and you may get an idea of how everything lines up from the pic. Too bad you are so far away. I'm game for stuff like this.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks