• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939a1 wheel removal

Steve92307

Hi guys, I just bought my first 6x6 the other day. I didn't realize when I had bought it but when turning into the gas station on the way home the tires rub the steering box and front of the frame. The truck has the monster 24r21 53in tall 20in wide tires on it. I'm gonna swap them with some smaller 395s. My question is, how the heck can I remove these wheels?? I'm a one man show. The only thing I can think of is Fabbing up a cradle. Any ideas would be a great help. Thanks.

Attachments

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys, I just bought my first 6x6 the other day. I didn't realize when I had bought it but when turning into the gas station on the way home the tires rub the steering box and front of the frame. The truck has the monster 24r21 53in tall 20in wide tires on it. I'm gonna swap them with some smaller 395s. My question is, how the heck can I remove these wheels?? I'm a one man show. The only thing I can think of is Fabbing up a cradle. Any ideas would be a great help. Thanks.
I would jack it up to the point the tire is barely touching the ground and you can "walk" it off. That's what I do with my M54A2 five ton on 14.00 20 and 939 rims. Man are they heavy.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Steve92307

I would jack it up to the point the tire is barely touching the ground and you can "walk" it off.

I was thinking that too. I will need to take all 6 off. Do you think it's safe to put the whole vehicle in jack stands?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was thinking that too. I will need to take all 6 off. Do you think it's safe to put the whole vehicle in jack stands?
If you have some good FLAT ground, preferably concrete and lift one side of one axle at the time and NON-RECALL jackstands. Harbor Freight had a round of trouble with failures. To swap the tires, I think it might be safer to do one axle at the time.

Having a 4 foot crowbar to roll the new tires onto - then lift a little to slip them on the hub will be less work when you go to install the new tire and rim combo.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it’s on concrete, and the stands are rated for the load. A little gear oil on a piece of sheet metal under them and you can slide the tires right off.

Steve92307

If you have some good FLAT ground, preferably concrete and lift one side of one axle at the time and NON-RECALL jackstands. Harbor Freight had a round of trouble with failures. To swap the tires, I think it might be safer to do one axle at the time.

Having a 4 foot crowbar to roll the new tires onto - then lift a little to slip them on the hub will be less work when you go to install the new tire and rim combo.
Unfortunately I'm going to be trading these rims and tires for another set and I'm not driving that thing to AZ from where I'm at, it would take me 6hours just to get there. I'll have to buy some Jack stands rated for the truck. Thanks for advice.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One or two at a time. You can do jack stands under the whole thing just stay the heck away untill you start putting tires in again. I've seen many a truck fall just front or rear lifted up.

Reactions: 98G

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done all 6 at once more than once(even using the jackstands that were recalled later!!!) That being said, I'd avoid it if at all possible.

Here's what I'd do in your position- I'd get a set of 395s on LMTV rims and swap each one out one at a time. Then sell yours as a set. What you have is an oddball setup. The 21" wheels aren't typical for 939series trucks (maybe they're off a MK48?). Anyone wanting the tires is going to need the wheels to go with them. Honestly, it's going to be hard to find a home for them....

Steve92307

I've done all 6 at once more than once(even using the jackstands that were recalled later!!!) That being said, I'd avoid it if at all possible.

Here's what I'd do in your position- I'd get a set of 395s on LMTV rims and swap each one out one at a time. Then sell yours as a set. What you have is an oddball setup. The 21" wheels aren't typical for 939series trucks (maybe they're off a MK48?). Anyone wanting the tires is going to need the wheels to go with them. Honestly, it's going to be hard to find a home for them....
Thanks man, yea they are odd ball from what I have been hearing. I have 7 11r20s but all the ones I have been finding with rims are priced kinda ridiculous.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks man, yea they are odd ball from what I have been hearing. I have 7 11r20s but all the ones I have been finding with rims are priced kinda ridiculous.
Good 395's on LMTV rims should be $300-$400 each.

16.00's on HEMTT rims should be around $500 each (and won't rub up front on 939series trucks).

A full set of 10 11.00R20's on the standard 5ton rims should be $2100ish.

14.00's are a poor choice at this point and I'd advise you to avoid them.

PM coming your way.

Steve92307

Good 395's on LMTV rims should be $300-$400 each.

16.00's on HEMTT rims should be around $500 each (and won't rub up front on 939series trucks).

A full set of 10 11.00R20's on the standard 5ton rims should be $2100ish.

14.00's are a poor choice at this point and I'd advise you to avoid them.

PM coming your way.
Sounds about right. I'm trying to work a trade right now with a guy for everything I have for 7 395s with wheels. If I cant find any I'm gonna go on gov planet and bid on some out here in yermo. I'm like 45min away.

Valor

I use a couple of shovels to get the tire and rim over the hub and on the lugs after walking the tire up to the axle. Don't let it fall over cuz you can't get it up by yourself unless you're superman! The shovels help to get the lug nuts on the rim holes lined up right. I have trouble with them not being all centered. Sounds like you are in the neighborhood.

Steve92307

I use a couple of shovels to get the tire and rim over the hub and on the lugs after walking the tire up to the axle. Don't let it fall over cuz you can't get it up by yourself unless you're superman! The shovels help to get the lug nuts on the rim holes lined up right. I have trouble with them not being all centered. Sounds like you are in the neighborhood.
Thanks man, my main concern was just removing them all at the same time. I'm trying to get some smaller wheels and tires. These damn things are to big. Yea I'm in the same area. I live north of the 18 where abouts are you at?

Valor

Thanks man, my main concern was just removing them all at the same time. I'm trying to get some smaller wheels and tires. These damn things are to big. Yea I'm in the same area. I live north of the 18 where abouts are you at?
I would just do one wheel at a time but if you need to get them all off without anything to put on, then just be careful jacking the truck up and using jack stands. Use the 6 ton ones if you got them. I'm north of 18 on the east side of town, kinda near granite hills H/S, Central rd.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I used a pallet jack to remove replace big wheels/tires

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks