• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Transfer Case in "H" Slips out of Gear

Phoenix77

I have a 1986 M998 HMMWV and when I try to put the transfer case into "H", it just makes a grinding noise and goes nowhere.

I adjusted the linkage and could get it to drive a little way (about 30 sec - 1 min) and then it would disengage, make the grinding noise, and coast to a stop. I can put it in HL and it moves again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

bchoate66

Sounds like an issue I had. Your range shifting fork is going bad and the ends that keep the transfer case engaged in gear are getting eaten away every time you hear the grinding noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bchoate66

I did. And depends on which case you have. I have the np218, and it was he’ll finding the fork to begin with. But I had to completely take the case apart to replace it. Hard to do with only a diagram to put it back together

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
not understanding, the truck stays in H unless shifted into HL or Low...
all shifting of Tcase is done with engine off and trans in neutral...per the TM

Phoenix77

I did. And depends on which case you have. I have the np218, and it was he’ll finding the fork to begin with. But I had to completely take the case apart to replace it. Hard to do with only a diagram to put it back together

Do you have an NSN for the Shifter Fork Transfer Shift you used?

bchoate66

Part number C-13731 is all I have. That’s the cast number on the shift fork. Good luck finding one. I had the hardest time

Phoenix77

Part number C-13731 is all I have. That’s the cast number on the shift fork. Good luck finding one. I had the hardest time

Thanks for the info: I just found one via army surplus warehouse for $26 shipped. It says it is for HMMWV 1986-1990, so that's my HMMWV.

bchoate66

Thanks for the info: I just found one via army surplus warehouse for $26 shipped. It says it is for HMMWV 1986-1990, so that's my HMMWV.
Good deal. The only thing I could find the do the tear down was in New Processes old catalog. If you find something better, please let me know

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably a dumb question, but in "H", which wheels get the power? i.e., RWD or FWD?
in "H" power goes to all wheels, but if for some reason one wheel loses traction, then all the power will try to go through that one wheel, and the truck won't move.
The "HL" and "L" modes lock the transfer case so that power will always go half to front half to rear. If one wheel loses traction then it only gets the power for the wheel on the opposite side lost through it, you will still have equal power from the opposite end (i.e. you lose traction front right, front left won't have power but both rear still get power)

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good deal. The only thing I could find the do the tear down was in New Processes old catalog. If you find something better, please let me know

so your going to tear down a Tcase and replace a part based on a hunch?
more often than not...bad hal shafts of differential is the culprit.
i haven’t had a bad Tcase in the shop in so long i can’t say when I saw a bad one last.

HMMWV1045

So, my HMMWV is having the problem of the transfer case being "H" and the truck goes no where. All I get is a whirling sound. If I put it in "L" or "HL", the truck moves. I do have a broken right hand front half shaft. Are we sure that is the cause of the problem?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, my HMMWV is having the problem of the transfer case being "H" and the truck goes no where. All I get is a whirling sound. If I put it in "L" or "HL", the truck moves. I do have a broken right hand front half shaft. Are we sure that is the cause of the problem?
any broken HS will act this way...

Phoenix77

That's most likely it.

All my half shafts we're good, so I ended up putting in a new rear differential.

AJB777

OK, this thread is a little old but perhaps will get a response, thanks.

My 1987 m998 does exactly what has been described here. I was driving it one day and it just slipped out of gear. I had to go to L in order to get it to move. Drove it home at 10mph before I started messing with it. Of course I stopped engine to shift.

Prior to this happening I replaced both front half axles, all the steering components i.e Pinon, tie rod ends and follower arm (six pieces). everything torqued and lubed per spec.

With vehicle on the rack I can see both rear half axles look good. they both turn when wheels are turned.

When the thing pops into neutral You can hear what sounds like a penny bouncing around just between the seats.

My question is how can I test the half shafts or differential or transfer case to see what is causing this?

Interesting note: I was originally told that trans fluid was leaking into the transfer case thus overfilling it. So I did a Trans filter change and transfer case oil change. When I took the filter out I noticed that the O ring was on the filter side of the plastic tube that feeds the case. The diagram shows that the O ring should be placed on the case side (top) of the plastic tube. After doing this she ran for a month without a problem them bam it just started up again.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
ooops almost forgot. I have a very small slow leak from engine rear oil seal if that matters at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks