• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mack NO That's a real ARMY truck!!

oldradioseeker

One of the most impressive WWII trucks was the 71/2 ton NO mack. Great photos of the one at the Marshall Museum Overloon at Liberty Park, in the Netherlands is seen at
www.tanxheaven.com/mackNO/mackNO.htm Way back there for me, about 25+ years ago, a company named Black Industries used these in numbers to plow cables on the roadside. This truck had planetary drive front wheels and only 2053 of them were built. Rumors had it that it would peel up road asphalt and ruin its tires in only 2 miles or so. The salvage yards always pulled off its front winch and sold it. I bought a NO mack front winch and it is mounted wrong way up on my M35 boom rig. It reportedly was 45 ton capacity. I know where there is one rusting away at White Owl Parts in Kinston NC. It is in poor condition but its rears are there and even the original type tires. The original grille is there and the cab, but all of its gear levers are frozen. It May have gotten flooded in a 1999 flood there. The motor is sitting in the rain. Another NO mack that had a modern style replacemnt cab, is or was in 2004 at Jack's Auto Parts in Raeford, NC. (North Carolina) This truck was very very good in condition and was complete and running when parked. It may or may not be there. If it is not, it is a casulaty of scrapping. He was an older man then and I have not been there in 3 years. Jack's auto parts has some great miltary truck parts there too. It is on Hwy 401 bypass in Raeford, NC. Contact me and I will try to find more out about them. Both of the NO macks have no front winch. The one at Jack's also has the original type WWII tires. It is complete less winch. Anybody knowing more about this truck, location of more, or parts, please post a reply. Also, anybody having the winch brake cover for it please email. The winches were usable inverted.

Note: on the link above, there are two different trucks shown.

Other notes: In Normandy in 1998, we passed on the small highway running behind the battlefields down the coast, a procession of at least 15 fully restored WWII army trucks. They may have been locally owned. This was on the small 2 lane road running near the shore on June 6 of that year.

Does anyone know if Ft. Eustis Va. has the Transportation museum there? They had a great display of army trucks of many years.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Mack NO That

Do you have a clear photo of the winch and the cover you are looking for. I know where there is a pile of winches(30 or more) many of them early military, I may be able to get you the cover if the right winch is there.
James G.

67Beast

The last time I was at Sam Winer in Akron OH. they had a few sitting in the yard. Got to the photo gallery and look in the folder marked Sam Winer's. In the pic of the 715 titled "best one on the lot" you can see the front of one right behind the 715.

oldradioseeker

Thank You Sir for this entry on the NO. What is too sad is the scrap value raising and these yards need to be begged to preserve these treasures. Please go see

:arrow: www.travellerdave.co.uk

not to see a Mack but some really unusual sites in junkyards including a French one with some Pacific 6X6 tank retrievers. This was one of the most unusual sites I have seen. Thanks again, and I have heard of Sam Winer from years and years ago ads in the construction barganner paper (magazine) that we used to receve way back then. Carlton

[/b]

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
That truck looks really good. What sort of engine is in that thing. It has the narrowest looking engine compartment I think I have have seen. Was the engine derived from an aviation inline engine?

AMGeneral

The NO's ran a Mack model EY inline 6cyl gasoline engine,707 ci,159 hp @2100 rpm,534 ft/lbs torque @800 rpm.Governed speed is 2100 rpm,max speed of the the truck is 32 mph.The NO's shared many of the driveline components with the later M series 10 ton M123/125 trucks.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
32mph. That makes it head to head with my old Puch moped. That is some amazing low end torque.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks