• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Manifold

jrosbo

I really need to replace the manifold gaskets on my gasser but I am afraid to touch the bolts holding it on. There is not much left of the studs past the nut. And I know as soon as I put a wrench on there and give them a twist I am going to hear that awful noise, snap! Any Ideas? Also do these studs penetrate into the water jacket on these trucks. I have taken studs out of other types of motors to find that my boots got wet cause the antifreeze came pouring out. Any help would be appreciated.

Jones

Lots of penetrating oil, time to let it work, then try to tighten them about an eighth of a turn first. That often will break them loose. If you lose one or two, it's easy-out time. We've used the left handed drill bits too with pretty good success. They drill the opposite direction so run your drill motor in reverse. Drilling out the stud weakens it and allows it to "collapse" ever so slightly, loosening it's grip on the threads in the head or block. At some point the drill bit usually grabs and spins the stud right out.

devilman96

Ditto and ditto... If you dont have a torch crank her up and let her get good and hot first... Break them loose and back the nut off enough to pass the ends of the studs threads then let it cool and deal with the rest.

jrosbo

Thanks

As soon as I get the gaskets I'm going to try all of the above. I just know I am going to break'em. Thanks for the advice and, Jones where did you get those bits?

Jones

Auto supply stores and some of the bigger hardware stores should carry them. Snap-On's kit is an "EXDL-10", "10 piece L.H. Cobalt Drill-Extractor Set"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks