• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

March 13th Redstone Recovery

jrou111

I'm gonna attempt to recover 2 Deuces on Friday the 13th :shock: from Redstone. Fortunately I only have to take them a short distance - 20 miles to a friend's house, and then 100 miles to Birmingham once 'soldier A' and 'soldier B' get off work. :razz:

Does anybody want me to take a look at anything for them while I'm there?(coughcoughlikeA3'scoughcough) :wink:

monkeythumbs

I'd like to take you up on your offer to look at other members trucks, sorry but its not an A3. I bid on this sight unseen and 600+ miles away. It's lot # 3955 , item # 3911. It has a torn cargo top on the passenger side . Here's a little list if you can locate it on base.

1. Brake system- pedal appears to be resting on the floor, can you make a quick glance over and see if anything is missing.
2. Troop Seats- the top appears to be sitting lower than I'd expect if troop seats were there, they didn't show a bed picture.
3. Turbo- Is it a C or D, if you know the difference.
4. Running Condition- If you got the time and of course if GL will let you start someone else's truck.

Don't go out of your way to do this I wanted to have a little adventure when picking this truck up.

Thanks for making the offer, hopefully you can find the time , and good luck on your multiple pick up.

YellowHammer

Not an A3, but if you wouldn't mind strolling over to the CUCV's, I purchased this one last week and only can go by what I've seen on GL so far. I'm curious as to the condition of the tires and such. If it appears that it can drive away, I'd prefer to do that if I could. I can see that it's missing the towing pintle so I'll get one before I go in case I can arrange getting a trailer before my EUC clears.

My EUC was sent to Battle Creek on 3-10-09, so now I've got to go through the excruciating wait since this is my first EUC. If you can do that, I'd greatly appreciate it. Congratulations on your deuces.

lavarok

Are your trucks on base or at the NG Armory? I have a m1009 at the Armory that I need checked out. I just need some photos of the inside and the tires.

YellowHammer

Are your trucks on base or at the NG Armory? I have a m1009 at the Armory that I need checked out. I just need some photos of the inside and the tires.
Great question. I just realized that when I saw your post. If you're trucks are in a different location, then I guess my request wouldn't apply.

wpaulharris

I just got back from Redstone yesterday. I drove one Deuce back and we hauled the other. Brake issues are common on these bad boys. I understand that the master cylinder needed a vent and the reservoir cap was tapped for a vent line. Hard to get to for adding Dot 5 fluid. Still trying to figure this out?

monkeythumbs

James,
Thanks for reply to my request, if its raining don't worry about. I realize you may not see this before you leave in the AM. If you got the time I love to get a little preview of my truck.
Thanks,John

jrou111

Monkeythumbs,

1. D turbo
2. Brakes pedal was on floor like in the pic, didn't get to check for missing parts though.
3. Batts were dead, but they jumped off one of mine for me. He offered to go get the truck for yours but I was running out of time.
4. Troop seats are intact. In fact everything in the cargo area was in good shape except the top of course.

Amxhunter

If they are at the Armory, then preview and pickup is limited to Tue - Thur.

On base , you gotta be gone by 3pm or they will lock you in :(

Don't make me tell you how I know this.

jrou111

Well, I got to pick up my trucks this morning. The low mileage truck cranked up on its own and the winch truck needed a jump start. Both are D turbos (but do whistle a little?) Both had good brakes. The low milage truck has a body in decent shape, but the winch truck has some rust on the pass. side cab floor. Nothing too bad though. There was a decompsed rodent in there though :shock: The winch truck also has a broken winch engagement lever. The winch truck also has an M16 holder! :-D Looks like I'll have to fix that one. :roll:

The low mileage truck is mechanically in worse shape than I had anticipated. On the way home the lower radiator hose busted and the truck got hot. We had to use the other truck to go to the parts store and get something to fix it.

I'm REALLY hoping that the truck doesn't have a blown headgasket. :cry: If so I may be selling the axles, parting it, and scrapping the rest :|

The recovery so far:

We drove the trucks of the base and to my friend's house 20 miles away in Madison, AL. The low mileage truck gave us some problems like I had mentioned. I'm going over both trucks to make sure they can make the 100mi trip back at night in the rain on Fri. the 13th :shock: I gotta run to the parts store, but for now: some pics! :-D

Attachments

jrou111

Well after crawling under the low mile truck in the pouring rain and mud, I've found that all 3 diffs are empty, the t-case is okay on fluid, and I don't have a hex socket big enough to check the trans fluid :cry:

Oh and somebody stole my front tow rings :evil:

So I guess I'll be heading to the parts store :roll: again. :|

Snakeblood

I hope you don't mind me asking how much you ended up paying for your deuces. I am thinking of bidding on one up here in Wisconsin and have no idea how much is reasonable. This would be my first one. I have a pretty good idea what an M-715 is worth but no clue here. I would appreciate an approximate amount, you don't have to make how much you paid for these public, I understand. Just looking for a bid amount that would give me half a chance. Thanks!

YellowHammer

I hope you don't mind me asking how much you ended up paying for your deuces. I am thinking of bidding on one up here in Wisconsin and have no idea how much is reasonable. This would be my first one. I have a pretty good idea what an M-715 is worth but no clue here. I would appreciate an approximate amount, you don't have to make how much you paid for these public, I understand. Just looking for a bid amount that would give me half a chance. Thanks!
I haven't gotten one myself just yet, but it seems that most folks are paying 1,800 to 2,700. I'm sure some with more knowledge can answer with more detail; that's just what I've observed in my short time paying attention.

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yellowhammer don't forget to take a key I live in Rockmart Ga and mess with these all the time. If you don't have one and depends on how you are comeing I all ways have abunch of them so if you need any help let me know.

YellowHammer

Yellowhammer don't forget to take a key I live in Rockmart Ga and mess with these all the time. If you don't have one and depends on how you are comeing I all ways have abunch of them so if you need any help let me know.
Okay. I may well take you up on the offer. The shortest route for me goes north of you through Rome, but Rockmart's not far out of the way at all. I figured they'd have keys since it's not posted as not having them. But like I said, I'm new to this.

monkeythumbs

James,
Thanks again for looking at my truck. I'm going to try and see if I can replicate/figure out why that pedal is on the floor with my duece sitting in the driveway. At least I know a little bit more about the condition of the truck now than yesterday. Thanks again and sorry to hear but your small troubles on your pick-up.
John/monkeythumbs

jrou111

Well I finally got both trucks home this evening around 7. It normally takes me 1.5hrs to drive 120 miles. With the trucks, and a little trouble on the road, it took a total of 7+ hours to make it home.

The low mileage truck has signs of fuel evaporation and rust. This resulted in cutting out above 45mph. We got a little over halfway around 4 (after stopping for lunch) and ran to Napa to get a replacement primary fuel filter. Even after that the truck struggled to make it up steep hills, and could only get up some in 3rd at 28mph. I'm gonna drain and flush the tank, pickup screen, clean the lines and filter housings. All that and some new filters and we should be good to go.

On the other truck, after one of our many stops, my friend forgot to release the parking brake before driving again. So the parking brake is shot on that truck (adjuster is fully tightened :cry:) Anyone know what parts I need to fix it and where I can get them?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks