• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mechanical fuel cut off on m1009

Parablazer

Hey guys and gals, I have done a few searches on this site as well as the interwebs, and no luck. I am wanting to remove/replace the electric fuel cut off on my 6.2 and put a mechanical cut off so the truck will stay on without batteries or alternators. Is this possible and if it is how. Aslo is there a kit to do it.

Thanks everyone.
Dominik

I was going to say it should be possible; but now that I've looked around some I am not so sure. The vacuum-actuated fuel cutoff on my other diesel works by closing a mechanical valve in the injection pump - not something you could retrofit to a 6.2 easily.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No batteries, No start! Why?

jimmy-90

I knew somebody that had an old diesel Mercedes and the battery stopped charging while him and his girlfriend were on a road trip through Colorado. This was back in the early 90's before everybody had a cell phone. Anyhow they were out in BFE and this old car still ran for a good 40-50 miles till they got back to civilization after the battery died completely. She drove while he held a mag-light out the window. In all that time they didn't see another car on that road either. I have to admit that I've wondered if a cucv could be modified to do that as well.

Parablazer

Yeah, I have had a few Mercs and that is a handy thing to be able to do with a diesel. Just in case the alternators and battery runs out you can still drive to find help or get back home. another forum has said a choke cable could be hooked up to the cut off piston. Just wondering if they are right and if some one here has done it before

Wyofj40

I have thought about that as well. I have, however, never looked to see what would be required to do it. A choke cable connected to the fuel shut off is all that would be needed. About a month ago at work the solenoid on our forklift fried and we needed to use it, so i tied the shut off back with a welding rod and used it the rest of the day. Of course that was on a 4bt cummins. As i said i haven't looked on the 6.2 to see if it is possible to connect to the shut off.

markg

the mercedes diesel's from about 85 back did not need power to run at all. you could even push start the auto transmission, drive until the fuel ran out or you pushed the manual shut-off lever under the hood. if the vacuum pump was good you could shut them off with the key. been there, done that many times. thanks. mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks