• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

melted multifuel?

tm america

I know there are several blow up multifuel engines out there.. i have seen them with blown head gaskets, thrown rods and holes in the block..But has anyone melted the pistons in a multi?I have my fuel turned up probably more than i should as i'm sure many others have done in the past.. But i have never seen a multi that was melted down...Is this because the piston coolers are good at doing thier job? or does piston- combustion chamber design help keep things from melting?
If anyone has melted one down . i would love to see some pics and hear the story of what extreme you went through to kill it like that:roll:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
PM Kaiserjeeps. He posted some pics of multifuel head ports that had a melted piston in them. It was pretty cool.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check with any steel mill in China. I'm sure they have melted MANY multifuels. :)

I had a Silver series Detroit , one injector was bad and over feeding, melted a hole in the piston and wrecked the block. I did this driving it only 120 miles. That is why some trucks have an exhaust temp gauge. If you are too hot, you have problems !

Flyingvan911

I'm curious. If you put a temp probe in the rear (or front) hole on the deuce exhaust manifold, could you tell if another cylinder was putting out higher egt's? (I'm guessing not but thoughtI'd ask.) I can see if it was mounted above the turbo since all of the exhaust goes there.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm curious. If you put a temp probe in the rear (or front) hole on the deuce exhaust manifold, could you tell if another cylinder was putting out higher egt's? (I'm guessing not but thoughtI'd ask.) I can see if it was mounted above the turbo since all of the exhaust goes there.
good question.... :confused:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think it would only work if the probes were directly in front of each exhaust port. Once they reach the manifold outlet flange, there is no way to distinguish individual temps.

Parker2

I can tell you that I melted a piston in my Dodge when an aftermarket injector failed and poored fuel into the cylinder. Egt temps stayed normal. I was stupid and stubborn though. I could tell something was wrong and kept going anyway.

Flyingvan911

Thanks for the answers. So I'm figuring one cylinder with higher egt's won't make much of a difference in the overall egt. I would rather not drill my manifold if the rear plug will work just as well for normal conditions.

m816

Well now, Funny you should ask about melted pistons. My Five ton Guntruck " Untouchable" had the fuel tuned up and it smoked plenty since I owned it. On the last trip out to CArlisle, I had the govenor blow up and when we fixed that we started it up and oil was spewing from the exhaust. My nephew tore the engine apart and found #3 had over washed and burned a huge hole through the piston. There was molten aluminum stuck to the con rod and the can and all threw out he engine. He can't figure out how it even turned over. Well, it is all rebuilt now and we added a pyro before the turbo ( I know everyone wants it after the turbo but the man is stubborn and knows his stuff, so that is where it is going to be) Now driving with a pyro is new to me, keping the exhaust gassed below 1200 degrees should go a long way to many happy days trucking along. I am now a convert. It is a little slower but I'll get the hang of it soon and look forward to getting it back to 65+ mph.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the answers. So I'm figuring one cylinder with higher egt's won't make much of a difference in the overall egt. I would rather not drill my manifold if the rear plug will work just as well for normal conditions.
:ditto:

This is what I'm thinking also. I don't think you'd ever notice one cylinder until it was too late.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks