• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-002a & mep-003a gen head

JOHNPFD1

Just curious if the gen head on an MEP-002a is the same one as an MEP-003a?

I have an MEP-002a I want to take apart and have sandblasted and powder coated is there anything I should be aware of when taking it apart or reassembling?

Don't want to mess it up by making a basic or stupid mistake.

Any advice on how to do it and what to watch out for would be greatly appreciated

thanks John

1800 Diesel

Thanks Jim, I thought so but someone had told me they were the same and it was the engine that gave it more Kw. Thanks
Nope--the 003 head is definitely longer--IIRC about 5". Awhile back I came across an MEP-002A that actually had a 10 KW head connected to the 2 cyl engine. I posted a thread with couple photos earlier this year.

As to the plan to sandblast, are you talking about just the frame portion or also around the stator windings & rotor? You may want to consider using walnut shells as an abrasive media in lieu of sand for any internal parts. This is what the navy usually specifies when rebuilding large motors or generator heads.

Also, I believe one of the members on this forum posted a very thorough thread on tearing down & rebuilding one of these units. He posted many photos that provide an excellent description of what he did during the whole process and the end product is way better than new. Take a look at his thread for inspiration! :)

Lastly, just curious why the question about the difference in the the generator head size in the context of dis-assembly & blasting?

Good luck with your project!

Kevin

Last edited:

JOHNPFD1

Kevin, Thanks
I asked just to make sure that I knew the true answer once and for all.

I have an extra gen head for the MEP-002a which is rusted on the outside, I figured since it was an extra I could take my time learning how it was assembled and check for any issues at the same time, clean it up and get it repainted.

Thanks for the walnut shell info, I was nervous about using sand since I know it gets EVERYWHERE,.

1800 Diesel

You're welcome. Only problem with the walnut shells is the high cost, compared to sand. Since you're doing the outside surfaces, sand would be ok--just protect/mask the internal areas and do a thorough blow-down after blasting is complete.

Kevin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks