MEP-003A ASK Kit needed

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While those do help attenuate noise, just know that they also greatly increase the difficulty scale of basic maintenance and troubleshooting, while simultaneously creating a mouse hotel.

Do you have one in pieces now, or are you looking complete?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opposite side of the country, but seeing as an 002 and 003 are damn near identical past machine length... possibly make it work and extend the middle sections with some locally sourced sheet metal:

Opposite side of the country, but seeing as an 002 and 003 are damn near identical past machine length... possibly make it work and extend the middle sections with some locally sourced sheet metal:

Thanks, I'll check it out.

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
Guess i missed this when it was first posted, but with blunt truth, WHY you want one is beyond me, these things were a blunderbuss and only got worse.. save ur money, sell your existing set and upgrade to a MEP 8xx series.. you will never look back .. mac/mc

Guess i missed this when it was first posted, but with blunt truth, WHY you want one is beyond me, these things were a blunderbuss and only got worse.. save ur money, sell your existing set and upgrade to a MEP 8xx series.. you will never look back .. mac/mc

Ok, please forgive my near total and complete ignorance and please educate me...

What makes the 8xx series better than what I have now? And which unit in that series would best suit my needs?

(I need 10k - 15k single phase 110/220 to function as a whole house back-up)

Thanks in advance!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well they are quieter, for starters. They were designed with the quiet enclosure as part of the cooling and sound attenuation system. Not an afterthought add on. Being that it was designed that way, it makes for a better finished product (the enclosure does significantly become a PITA in terms of troubleshooting, or as I previously mentioned... becoming a rodent hotel). On the 80x series, that can easily be rectified with a bit of hardware cloth on the (3) openings underneath the machine (mainly the cutout under the engine, as the other two holes are blocked by batteries when installed).

They are a newer platform, so parts availability is better (the newest 00x series is now 28 years old). The older air cooled sets do have their quirks, in terms of parts reliability (like frequency transducers, voltage regulators, etc), but so do the 80x series... but they have less quirks. The 80x series, when running well... run well for a long time.

The 803A model would be a best fit for your needs, based on the kw range. The 4 cylinder Lister Petter in them is very smooth, and very reliable. Its just a SOLID machine.

Chainbreaker

On the other hand, if you already have a good running MEP-003a you might be able to find an ASK kit for a song. I would post in the SS parts wanted section that you are looking for an ask kit. There were some listed here and on eBay a while ago and were going for very reasonable prices.

Not to start a model war, but there are some pros & cons between the MEP-003a and MEP-803 that should be considered given YOUR situation.

1. MEP-003a by design as an air/oil cooled design is a simpler system to maintain: no radiator, no water pump, no belt, no thermostat, nor is any freeze protection required other than keeping your batteries charged.

2. MEP-803 by design with its water jacket is inherently quieter than an air cooled MEP-003a

3. MEP-803 models are certainly not bullet proof and as such are not exempt from catastrophic failures: Engine1, Engine2 as well as Gen Head failures, with some well known design issues such as water intrusion with sticking exhaust flap, the quad winding issue, leaking well nut. In comparison, the MEP-003a, MEP-002a overall seem less prone to catastrophic failures and typically require simpler repairs to fix (after market AC VR swap out, oil pressure and temp switch, fuel pumps RF noise filter (just cut it out & splice), after market DC VR, rotating diodes, etc.

4. Yes MEP-003a parts availability is becoming more scarce, however you can buy a 90+% complete MEP-003a parts machine for much less than buying an 803 rebuilt engine or gen head. Also, there is substantial parts interchangeability between the MEP-002a & MEP-003a.

5. MEP-803a as a water cooled design is more prone to wet stacking if you don't have sufficient load versus the MEP-003a with its hotter running cylinders by virtue of being an air/oil cooled design.

6. MEP-803a definitely has a better serviceability factor by design versus that of a MEP-003a with ASK kit installed.

7. Current costs suggest you can find good running load tested MEP-003a's for 1-3k, a good running load tested MEP-803 typically start around ~$3k+

This is by no means an exhaustive list and they really are totally different machines and depending on YOUR CURRENT NEEDS one model may fit your situation better.

If you didn't already have a MEP-003a I would definitely suggest to look at the MEP-803a first versus investing in an MEP-003a with ASK. But...since you already have the MEP-003a and assuming it runs well I would price an ASK kit and compare what it will cost you to move to an MEP-803a.

The other option is to build a custom sound enclosure for your MEP-003a. Anywhere from a lift off dog house type design to walk-in Tough Shed sized design assuming you have the space where you're located.

In your situation it may be a case of the devil you know versus the devil you don't when it comes to buying another Military Surplus machine.

Anyway, just throwing this out there as food for thought as Its not an easy slam dunk decision. ;)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks