• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A L-1 No Output

1oldiron

Hi, I'm the New Guy.

Last summer I bought an MEP-003A, and was so pleased with it, I bought a second one. After servicing both and installing rebuilt injectors; both started and ran flawlessly. I installed a weatherproof 4 way 220/240V receptacle on one and wired it as specified and it will easily power my home including all lights, heat, and electric hot water heater. These machines are positively Herky!

I got around to installing the receptacle on the second unit this week. The convenience receptacle puts out 110-120V 1 Phase, and I have 110-120V showing between terminals L-3 and L-0, or L-3 and ground. However I get no reading between L-1 and L-0, or between L-1 and ground. Therefore there is no 220-240V output. In addition, the frequency meter has quit working. It worked and adjusted fine several months ago. Now it only flips off the left peg as the engine is started or shut down. It just jumps for a second or so as the engine passes up or down from full 1,800 RPM and dead stop.

The starter lockout switch does not open. Apparently there is something that was left out of the mechanism. I can move the plunger with needle nose pliers in and out to open the contacts. However with the engine running at full speed; the plunger is totally limp and I can still open the contacts manually. There is no pushing movement of the plunger at all. I wired around the lockout switch so I could open the starter circuit after the engine starts and still leave the on/off/run switch on to flash the fields.

Is it possible the open starter lockout circuit might be a contributing factor? I plan to remove the switch and gear mechanism and replace whatever is missing, but was hoping to get some electricity pumping first

Any wise advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff Howard

1oldiron

Do you have the selector switch on 240v?
The selector switch is in the 3 o'clock position for 120/240V 1 phase. The AC circuit breaker is on. I have switched all through all positions a number of times to shake up the contacts in case they are coated in Iraqi sand.

After the first post, I placed a strip of gasket material between the lockout switch contacts and jumped the circuit so I could start the engine. Upon reconnecting the switch at the connector; the frequency meter came back to life, but with the contacts held open, I was able to flash the generator with the engine running w/o engaging the starter.

At this point, everything seems in order except still no output to L-1.

Thanks,

Jeff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks