• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004AAS Scrap!

Ray70

Ok guys, I can no longer find this auction in my watchlist or in my closed watch list for that matter, so I assume it is over and now safe to discuss... Did anyone see the lot of MEP-004's that were being auctioned off for scrap??
Seems like a gigantic shame that these things had to be destroyed rather then parted out or maybe even restored.
Anyone know why these would have been slated for destruction? :shrugs: I missed the end of the auction and now I can't find it so I was also curious how much they went for. Think it was 45K lbs. of scrap.

dependable

Back to the original question about the 004s, saw that too. One could speculate haz mat exposure, ufos, or someone who lost their paperwork. A lot of listings on auction sites do not make sense.

Ray70

So did anyone happen to catch the closing price on this generator lot? Just curious to see what they sold for compared to what they potentially would have been worth if not sold as scrap. Also, has anyone ever had any experience with scrap lots requiring mutilation? Would they be required to be shredded to the point that nothing is slavageable??? I've seen scrap listings for copper wire that required mutilation... cound never figure out why. I'd imagine there was a logical reason, but just doesn't seem to make good business sense to me. I can see mutilating sensitive defense components, but copper wire and rusty generators?? Oh well, it is the government we're talking about... since when are good business practices expected.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OKAY.

No more discussing about why HMMWVs are not being sold. We have hashed this out thousands of times. It is what it is. No amount of whining about it will change the facts.

Now if someone has the guts to actually start the ball rolling we can talk about that. No action = no disccusion

This thread started out talking about the MEPs and then it was hijacked. Keep it on track.

Last edited:

steelypip

Have any of the AAS generators ever been released for private sale? That's probably the sticking point - they were likely part of a communications or radar system and are classified as armaments.

1800 Diesel

Have any of the AAS generators ever been released for private sale? That's probably the sticking point - they were likely part of a communications or radar system and are classified as armaments.
I've got a few of them & I've seen them sell on a fairly regular basis, but not as often as the standard configuration though....

Kevin

Ray70

Wow! $7500 and it required mutilation! That's about $333 a ton, probably 40% more than a scrap yard would pay right now, unless you stripped out all the copper and aluminum and sold it all separately. Maybe it was bought by a company with the ability to shred and separate ferrus and non ferrous automatically, then sell the separated shreddings at a higher price?

1800 Diesel

Wow! $7500 and it required mutilation! That's about $333 a ton, probably 40% more than a scrap yard would pay right now, unless you stripped out all the copper and aluminum and sold it all separately. Maybe it was bought by a company with the ability to shred and separate ferrus and non ferrous automatically, then sell the separated shreddings at a higher price?
Or maybe the buyer worked out an agreement as to interpreting the mutilation requirements. Could be he was able to remove a few parts prior to dumping the gens in the shredder....Also, I expect the buyer would definitely sell the copper separately considering it's high scrap price.

Kevin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks