• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016a Issues - Manual no help.

I finally got around to messing with the MEP-016a I bought like 8 years ago.

She started after a bit of work (a cobbled fuel source because of a rotten line), She runs and generates power (at least from the convenience outlets)

Issues:

"Kill" switch is wired backwards or rotated 180 degrees (off is run and run is off) EASY FIX

Cycles meter doesn't read at all, tried switching the wires like suggested on smokstak, and it maxes out instead of staying "off". this appears to be a non issue as these are supposedly easy to break from handling??

The voltage meter only shows a reading on setting V1-2. Yet every lug was giving some sort of power combination with a volt meter.

The Rotary selector inside is set to 120/1 Phase

also there's a resistor from terminal C to D... don't recall seeing this in the manual.

With the rotary switch inside @ 120V'Single phase, current selector on 1-1 and the voltage selector on V1-0, I was only reading 30v on L0-L1 but 115v on L1-L2, and 130v from L1-L2

Am I missing something????

Inside control box:
mep-016a_controlbox.jpg

Cobbled fuel source:
cobbled.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
I finally got around to messing with the MEP-016a I bought like 8 years ago.

She started after a bit of work (a cobbled fuel source because of a rotten line), She runs and generates power (at least from the convenience outlets) Do you mean 120 volts?

Issues:

"Kill" switch is wired backwards or rotated 180 degrees (off is run and run is off) EASY FIX Switch probably rotated, or someone was wanting to play a bad joke on you. I always too off the points cover/switch mounting before trying to start one of these sets.

Cycles meter doesn't read at all, tried switching the wires like suggested on smokstak, and it maxes out instead of staying "off". this appears to be a non issue as these are supposedly easy to break from handling?? Try hooking it back up right, and testing it IAW the manual. The Freq gage takes its signal from AC voltage. Its fed into the freq transducer, to convert the signal into DC voltage. If you have no 120 volt input, it wont read on the gage. If you have 120 input and no output to the gage, the freq transducer is bad.

The voltage meter only shows a reading on setting V1-2. Yet every lug was giving some sort of power combination with a volt meter.

The Rotary selector inside is set to 120/1 Phase Do not rotate this switch while the set is running. Damage to the volt selection switch can occur.

also there's a resistor from terminal C to D... don't recall seeing this in the manual. Terminal C&D where?

With the rotary switch inside @ 120V'Single phase, current selector on 1-1 and the voltage selector on V1-0, I was only reading 30v on L0-L1 but 115v on L1-L2, and 130v from L1-L2 What voltage do you want? 120 single phase? 240 volt single phase? 120 3 phase? or 120/208?

Am I missing something????

Inside control box:
View attachment 699711 This is the old style volt reg. Doesn't mean it won't work, but there is a newer version. The volt reg is a uneversol regulater. It fits several different gen sets. So you need to check that its wired for your set.

Cobbled fuel source:
View attachment 699712
l

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks