MEP-016B Wont Start

nbowman30

I am New Here. First and Fore most I bought a generator mep-016b and have hooked up two car batteries getting 24volts. I hear the timer running but when I go to turn the switch it does nothing. I have come to believe that the engine control board on my unit it bad. I tried to get some parts to replace some diode but they are hard to find.

Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

nbowman30

I have alot of the manuals for this generator but when I follow the Procedures on how to start it and then turn the knob nothing happens at all. I have tested the boards and followed about all the wires in the schematics to make sure they are all connected properly. I have also tested the switch it seems to be fine when I test it with an multimeter.

I would like to replace the engine control board or replace the diodes in it but I dont know what they all are. The schematics do not tell you what type of diodes they are..

Any Ideas??
Thanks

mangus580

Engine Control Board? Isnt the 16B the 3kw diesel conversion? Got a pic of it? I have an engine from one of these I think, and its pretty simple. Has a glow plug, and a starter. Not quite sure what the control board would do.

nbowman30

I was just wondering if any knows if I could get the engine control board for this model generator

Thanks

mangus580

Have you done any testing? Checked for voltage through the board?

These are such a rare genset, its hard to find much info on them.

Have you considered wiring a manual button for the start, glow plug, and a switch for the fuel pump?

nbowman30

I have all the manuals for this Generator and I have a lot of knowledge in electronic (circuit Level) The manual tells me how to test it and its seems to test ok but I have not been able to get it to start it does not supply voltage to the glow bug when I put it in warm up or prestart.

Thanks

m139h2otruck

I have never seen this type of unit, but have seen and used engines with the control board that protects the engine from high temp and low oil pressure. You should be able to disable these protections and at least get it to crankover. If it does have these devices, you could disable the electric shutoff switch and get fuel to the pump. If you can get it to crank and get fuel to the pump it should start. Just be sure you can shut it down after.

nbowman30

If I remove the board do I put 24 volts to the glow plug and how do I turn the starter over if I remove the board. The board also seems to supply power to the glow plug I believe from what the schematics show? How do I get around this board.

I appreciate the help

Thanks

mangus580

nbowman.... if you can give me a day or 2.... I have the manuals downstairs, I can look at the schematics and help you... right now... santa will be here soon, and I got alot of work left to do!

nbowman30

I am not able to get the fuel tank electronics out, the part that screws into the tank seems to be stuck. I used a bar and a wrench but could not break it loose. I even sprayed some stuff on it too. Any ideas or of were I could get a new one??

Thanks

Appreciate the Help

nbowman30

I was just wondering if anyone knows were I could get parts or anyone who has one that doesnt work that I could buy parts off of..

Thanks

nbowman30

Just Curious

Does anyone Know anything about this Generator

Any Help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Neal

billhigg

Have you figured out whats wrong with your Mep16 yet? I have a little bit of experience with them if you still need some help. I'm a former Marine electrician (1141) and have a basic operating klowledge on the mep16, 3, 5, and 6 generators. friertuckwine@yahoo.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks