• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep 018a genset wont start or crank

wchs83

i just purchased a mep018a gen at a dot aucton. i hooked up two 12v batteries in series for a 24 volt connection. the panel lights and hour meter started working and when i tried the starter, it cranked for just a bit, then everything went off. is there a reset switch somewhere. im puzzled. any help would be great. thanks

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know about the 018, but the 003a's and 002a's have a fuse in the back around the voltage regulator and the DC circuit breaker on the panel. I would look for something similar on that unit.

If you don't have them yet, the TM's are in the resources section at the top of your screen...about 5 pages into the list or so.

liftman

Be sure that the "remote/local" switch is set to local and that the "normal/emergency" start switch is set to normal. After that if you still have nothing, you will need the schematics in the TM to continue. The circuit goes thru some relays which are located inside the panel. The schematic will make it much easier to troubleshoot.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had one do a similar feat and found that the starter was not grounded well to the block because of rust. Removed the starter, cleaned the area and lit it right up!

wchs83

problem of no crank solved on mp018a

i called Denks army navy in carolina and the fella there said it sounded like i lost ground. i cleaned all my terminals and checked power to the starter. it was all good. i could jump the selenoid and it would crank, so i figured it had to be between the control panel and starter motor. as im looking this over, i noticed a part of the harness that had a braided stainless wire coming out of it with a screw terminal on the end. it was up near the intake manifold. when i grounded it, the panel lights came on and i was able to crank it over. JUST A GROUND WIRE. thanks to everyone who responded. i learned some thing today.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks