MEP 018A worth rebuilding?

flobble

I have a question for all of those wiser than me. I have an MEP 018A 10kw genset that has a burned out stator winding. The rest of the generator is in excellent shape, engine runs great, voltage regulator works, and it even has decent paint! However, I pulled the stator out and took it to the local rewinding place and almost fell over when the guy said it would be about $800 to rewind. Is this something I should attempt myself( full time machinist with an education in Mech. Engineering). I contacted Saturn Surplus who told me that they couldn't help. Anyone have any suggestions? I hate to scrap it when the rest of the genset is in such good shape. Thanks for any suggestions.

Paul

papercu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would it cost to replace it? That would be the easy way find out if repair or replace. 800.00 + the price of parting it out should buy a decent replacement. There is one on ebay now for 325.00 and may be a SS member selling it, they give a link back to this site for a download of the manual. Wayne

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get another price some where. If the rest is good, not counting what you have in it, $800 isn't much for a 10K Gen Set. In fact, what you have in it now dos'ent count. You don't have anything but parts, unless you fix it. I'd fix it!

Lee in Alaska

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks